Soda/Pop/Branding Discussion & News Thread

Popmart

2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

Not going to like, Moxie is very hit-or-miss for people.  you either like it, or are absolutely disgusted by it.  "Acquired taste" is an understatement.  When I was in the Air Force and stationed all around the US I had family ship me bottles and I would share with everyone to see how they reacted.  Some enjoyed it and wanted more, some were repulsed by it. 

Personally I've been around it all my life and grew up with it, so I love it.  especially good in the summer with some French Vanilla ice cream to make a Moxie float.  I've been tempted to go to Lisbon, ME at some point and join in the Moxie Festival where they have a Moxie chugging contest.  I think one of the more recent winners drank it warm. 

I'm one who is disgusted by it. And 13 year old kids being 13 year old kids, once word got out about how terrible I thought Moxie was, they all wanted to try it for themselves. So my bottle got passed around and waterfalled by the kids who all also thought it was disgusting.

IbjBaeE.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I"ve been reading some fascinating articles of how soda bottling / distribution works, specifically relating to Dr. Pepper / 7up.  

So since Dr. Pepper originally split themselves between Coke and Pepsi bottlers in different markets, they effectively blocked any national competition, which was pretty damn smart.   Coke makes Mr. Pibb, which they bottle and distribute in the markets where Pepsi bottlers distribute Dr. Pepper.  Now that more Coke bottlers make Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pibb is basically only in a few regional markets.

What I don't get is why Pepsi hasn't come out with their own competitor to sell in markets where Coke makes Dr. Pepper.

Soda sales are at a 30 year low.  And until the consolidation of the distributors from the Pepsico itself, it also is about if the bottler/distributor thought it was worth the time and effort to buy the syrup to bottle and market it properly.  

If you haven't come across this, I posted this in the Sierra Mist redesign thread earlier this year, but a former beverage executive wrote about how a Dr. Pepper CEO went to the FDA to change the classification of Dr. Pepper and locked out the other local distributor.

https://medium.com/marketing-today/soft-drink-distribution-is-fascinating-8aecdcb016fc

Haha that's one of the articles I came across and read while googling yesterday.  That's the one that actually left me with the question of why Pepsi didn't come out with their own Mr. Pibb for the markets in which their bottler didn't bottle Dr. Pepper.

It also seems like bottling is a monopoly, since you can't start up a bottling company and compete for a coke or pepsi contract since there's territorial rights like in baseball.

I also now don't understand how much of the promotions you see are from the bottlers or from coke / pepsi.  It would seem like they'd want more control over how their product is marketed, but it seems like the distributors are the ones that are in the stores doing all that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Haha that's one of the articles I came across and read while googling yesterday.  That's the one that actually left me with the question of why Pepsi didn't come out with their own Mr. Pibb for the markets in which their bottler didn't bottle Dr. Pepper.

It also seems like bottling is a monopoly, since you can't start up a bottling company and compete for a coke or pepsi contract since there's territorial rights like in baseball.

I also now don't understand how much of the promotions you see are from the bottlers or from coke / pepsi.  It would seem like they'd want more control over how their product is marketed, but it seems like the distributors are the ones that are in the stores doing all that.

Bottling as a monopoly is a recent phenomenon.

http://www.valueline.com/Stocks/Commentary.aspx?id=8421#.XADQ4aCIbZ8

NYT or MarketWatch has many articles on the consolidation and why.

Coca Cola North America basically went from independent bottlers to being consolidated under CCE, but not more independent. Less in number but more coverage for independent bottlers.

https://www.coca-colacompany.com/press-center/press-releases/tccc-completes-refranchising-of-company-owned-bottling-operations-in-us

PepsiCo started its consolidation a decade later and is keeping as much as they can in-house. There's only 33 independent Pepsi bottlers within their association.

https://pcba.net/membership/

Something also occurred in the mid-90s which influenced the bottlers to be bought by corporate... Pouring Rights became MUCH more valuable.

Not just in stadiums, and restaurants, but universities and high schools became really valuable. If you could freeze out your competition on a college campus for five years, that's a mini-monopoly and possibly getting brand lifers.

Then again soda, beer/wine/spirits, and for the most part general grocery industry still possesses a three tiered system of getting goods from maker to consumer via both a distributor and a retailer.

Manufacturer/Distributor/Retailer/Consumer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

In a sneak peek for a new Pepsi Commercial, at the :19 mark in this video, you can spot the 1973-1991 Pepsi logo on a blue can in the hands of a director. Possible (hopeful) rebrand? Come on Pepsi, you know you wanna...

da0Lbhs.png

• 2 months later...

So I saw this weird Pepsi logo in a vending machine at a car dealership this morning. WTH? (Sorry for the photo quality; didn't want look like a weirdo going right up to the machine to take a picture.)

4fHhDJE.jpg

56 minutes ago, mjrbaseball said:

Even with that unusual font in the vending machine, Pepsi is going old-school with its font:

41zG8648KEL.jpg

I believe that's only for the version that has the "real sugar" gimmick.

https://www.pepsi.com/en-us/#!products/pepsi-real-sugar

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4 hours ago, officeglenn said:

So I saw this weird Pepsi logo in a vending machine at a car dealership this morning. WTH? (Sorry for the photo quality; didn't want look like a weirdo going right up to the machine to take a picture.)

4fHhDJE.jpg

That looks like something from Total Recall or Demolition Man

• 5 months later...

Regal Cinemas recently announce they will be switching to Pepsi for their soda fountains.

Interestingly the cup in their pic has a different wordmark for Pepsi which looks better than their current lowercase one (now just change the logo itself back to the pepsi globe)

ENszj90WkAAdLsx?format=jpg&name=large

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Regal Cinemas recently announce they will be switching to Pepsi for their soda fountains.

Interestingly the cup in their pic has a different wordmark for Pepsi which looks better than their current lowercase one (now just change the logo itself back to the pepsi globe)

Just pair that wordmark with this and Pepsi never has to change again. Why did they ever leave this again? It looked great!spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some changes from the world of Sodas.

Mountain Dew Throwback has been rebranded as Mountain Dew Real Sugar, like Pepsi-Cola with Real Sugar. They ditched the 1949-1969 Hillbilly "Ya-hoo!" era logo for the 1969-1996 era style, specifically the 1980-1991 variation of the Logo. Glass Bottle Mountain Dew has been using this logo since 2013.

spacer.png

Speaking of PepsiCo, there are also some Tweaks coming to Pepsi Zero Sugar. The "Zero Sugar" text in Pepsi Zero Sugar has received a font change to match the recently changed Flavored Pepsi fonts (Cherry, Vanilla, Cherry Vanilla, Lime, Mango, Berry). The "0" between Zero and Sugar has been removed, and the text that said "MAX TASTE" at the top of the can that links the drain to its former name, Pepsi Max, is also gone. The same is being done to the Flavored Zeros, using the updated description font with the top colors.

spacer.png

One last thing, Pepsi-Cola Made with Real Sugar is also changing slightly. The can is now a darker shade of Blue, the "Made with Real Sugar" text has a font update, close to the Zero/Flavor font, but not the same. There are also Wave Lines around the Logo now.

spacer.png

The font used for the bottom text on Zero and the flavored drinks appears to be the same one used on this Promotional Image for Regal Cinemas. Could a full-scale Pepsi Rebrand be on its way? Hopefully:

On 1/9/2020 at 5:34 PM, EddieJ1984 said:

da0Lbhs.png

While not branding, I got to say Mountain Dew Zero Sugar is awesome and its really hard to go back to diet mountain dew afterwards (Where I work they only got diet in the vending machine).

It's a shame Pepsi isn't flat out replacing Diet Mountain Dew with Zero Sugar, since that means fountains and stores will still have mostly diet.

Archived