Marquette supposedly deciding today

Sterling84

Actually, I used it on 100.5 in Madison. Bill and Steve from WAUK are now on from 2-3 in Madison, from 3-5 in both Madison and Milwaukee, then 5-6 in Milwaukee only. I didn't catch their whole show, so maybe they used it later and Sparky heard it -- I'm sure they were keeping an ear to the airwaves.

It's where I sit.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You still listen to WAUK? I made the switch to WSSP not long after it went on the air, and while Peter Brown is definitely an acquired taste, I've found myself enjoying his show much more than Bill and Steve's show (especially catching the condensed version on the drive home after working out)...

QPR%20Sig.png

I got a brilliant idea...the Big Ten in COLOR :P

Wisconsin Red

Purdue Gold-Black

Indiana Crimson

Iowa Yellow-Black

Minnesota Maroon

Michigan Blue

Michigan State Green

Ohio State Scarlet

Penn State Navy Blue

Illinois Orange

Northwestern Purple

ah yeah, that's kewl :rolleyes:<_<

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Hey, let's pile on the Gold even further. Jim Stingl has in the Friday Journal-Sentinel. Boy oh boy, is his column a doozy. :D x 1000 Some excerpts:

It sounds like a cigarette brand. The satisfying taste of Marquette Gold and now also available in Marquette Gold Menthol.

Gold is . . . I don't know, available in flat, enamel or latex....

Marquette now seems to be saying, look everyone, we're people of color.

When they heard the news, the students all went, "Au?!" which, coincidentally, is the symbol for gold.

Oh, Jim Stingl also suggests King Midas for a mascot.

Unfortunately, also in today's Journal-Sentinel, the powers that be at MU have heard the outcry... but are still sticking with Gold. :cursing: Even the Journal Sentinel editorial board, a mostly left of center group, thinks Gold was a good move over the "offensive" alternative of going back to Warriors.

:blink: Offensive to some, perhaps, but still a better alternative to Gold IMHO.

At the very least, "Golden Warriors" would have been okay. To me, it's a nod to the alumni and students who prefer Warriors, a similar nod to those who actually have warmed to Golden Eagles, and something that sounds less offensive than just "Marquette Warriors." Think of it... "Marquette Golden Warriors."

Teams need to stop worring about hurting other peoples feelings and start making since. The team Warriors has been my High School's moniker for the past 23 years, and it's the largest school in the state of Texas! Gold is... well, just plain dumb. Go back to your roots, or stay as an Eagle.

More than half of some 9,000 students, alumni and staff responded in an online poll in November that the Golden Eagles nickname was "boring," "weak," or "common," the university said.

Good job, students. Now you have the GOLD! Enjoy. ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

Random Thoughts about Marquette:

1. Gold????

2. Maybe the "Fathers" who run the place want to remind people to be

generous when the collection plate gets passed. Especially with all

the lawsuits they are dealing with cough--pedaphilia--cough.

3. It is kind of sad when a school's most famous alum is a Chris Farley character.

(Tommy Boy)

4. The only way this could be worse is if they changed the entire name to

"The Marquette Gold of Milwaukee"

5. I am loving the trash talking between Marquette and UW-Milwaukee folks.

As a UW-Madison grad, it just cracks me up. What's next DeVry Atlanta

mocking DeVry Cincinnati??? (Sorry, Flagship vs. Directional arrogance

has taken over my mind.)

6. Actually a lot of european soccer clubs are know primarily as their colors.

A lot of informal nicknames like "BlueReds" and "Whiteblues" if you translate

from Italian, French or Spanish. Maybe Marquette will petition to join the

MLS instead of the Big East. They could be Inter Marquette FC Gold Atletico

7. Maybe the school can't afford to pay SME to brand them, so they went on

ebay and bought a bunch of left over USFL Denver Gold memorabilia at

low low discount prices instead.

Thanks, guys. This thread made me wake up my roommate at 1 AM because I was laughing so hard. :P But seriously, I'm with you guys--I can't believe they just did that. As for the Big Ten color team names, yeah, but for my school, I'd give "Golden Gophers" only a SLIGHT advantage. :P

sportsbanner-single.jpg

I was taught that it is not enough to just criticize something. You should propose a positive solution. So instead of just ripping on "Gold", what would you do?

There are many creative people here. You might want to use some information on Marquette's history.

From their website,

"What's in Our Name? A Man and History

Marquette University was founded in 1881 by the Society of Jesus, a Catholic religious order established in 1540 by St. Ignatius Loyola.

The university is named after Father Jacques Marquette (1637-1675), a French, Jesuit missionary and explorer in North America."

I guess you can't call them the missionaries, but there are other possibilities.

Who will give it a shot?

Everyone loves a roundel.

I was taught that it is not enough to just criticize something. You should propose a positive solution. So instead of just ripping on "Gold", what would you do?

Stayed with "Golden Eagles."

La. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Warriors. Simple as that.

Golden Eagles. The name sucks, but it beats the he!! out of Gold.

I understand what you're saying about 'don't just criticize, do something better.' But this is just so bad of a nickname that ANYTHING is better.

It's where I sit.

i was thinkin to myself last night, Markette's real good at alienating folks. Before, only alumni was pissed...now, everybody is :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

I feel the same way about when Eastern Michigan changed from Hurons to Eagles. Changing from a great nickname with indigenous roots like Hurons, to something as generic as Eagles was very dissapointing.

There was nothing offensive about Hurons. If there was they should have changed the name of the Huron River, Lake Huron, etc.

If they insisted on changing, at least they could have gone with something cool like Herons.

:evil:

Everyone loves a roundel.

EMU...forgive me for sayin, but there was a very obvious nickname they coulda gone to...Emus :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

5. I am loving the trash talking between Marquette and UW-Milwaukee folks.

As a UW-Madison grad, it just cracks me up. What's next DeVry Atlanta

mocking DeVry Cincinnati???

^^^^^PB&J^^^^^^^

I love how pissed everyone in Milwaukee is now. This is the ultimate coppout, at least sticking with Golden Eagles would've shown some balls.

On the bright side, at least MU has a wordmark of their own, instead of that bootleg M plop they were putting on their Final Four gear from 2003.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

For all those alumni that do not like the change, it could have been worse. Both my high school - due to a merger - and community college - political correctness - have changed their nicknames.

When the school district of Schenectady NY decided there were not enough students to justify two high schools, they merged Mont Pleasant and Linton - yes, the one that gave the world Pat Reilly - into Schenectady High School. The previous names were the Red Raiders and Blue Devils...so you guessed it, Patriots was chosen.

Schenectady County Community College changed their name from the politically incorrect Chiefs to Royals, another bland, generic name. The reasoning behind the name, the school colors are Royal blue and Colonial gold. Heck, they could have been the Gold, but nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Archived