Marquette supposedly deciding today

Sterling84

they would have been much better off doing absolutely nothing. 

That's actually my vote if Warriors is off the table.

Nobody called them the Golden Eagles anyway, their students chant "We are Marquette!".

Simple. Done.

No nickname.

I think that's classier than a hybrid name or yet another random name.

EDIT** Furthermore, when you go to war....you go to war as a nation. Germany wasn't fighting the Americans (our "nickname" if you will) in WWII. They were at war with the United States (our proper name). And that may seem like an over-the-top patriotic analogy, but its true. War is a test of wills for those at home as well. Productivity, economy and morale weigh heavily.

Well, if sports is a metaphorical war or battle, then make it your school's schtick that you are dealing with the entire student body/alumni/town etc..not just the five "cagers" on the court.

I've just had an epiphany. They should call themselves the Marquette Nation!!!

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just had an epiphany. They should call themselves the Marquette Nation!!!

I like it -- although it sounds too close to the Menomonee Nation, so they probably can't go there ^_^

It's where I sit.

I've just had an epiphany.  They should call themselves the Marquette Nation!!!

I like it -- although it sounds too close to the Menomonee Nation, so they probably can't go there ^_^

Plus, it would imply that Marquette has a national following (it wishes!)...

QPR%20Sig.png

I say they become the Marquette Golden Angels of Milwaukee just for the pure, unadulterated stupidity.

Either that, or they can be the Marquette Goldenrods (As in the flower, of course. What else was I thinking of?)

Plus, it would imply that Marquette has a national following (it wishes!)...

I guess. And you certainly have to think of all sides when naming a team. But I was thinking of "Nation" in the collective, communal, warm hug kinda way.

Raiders fans have been dubbed the Raider Nation for a long time and to include your students, fans and donation-happy alumni in the official nickname might be a fence mender for the "gold" wounds.

It might also be a "close enough" tie to the pro-Warriors faction given that native american tribes were referred to as nations.

I dig it. But it is my idea so perhaps I'm too close to it to tell.

I think it's interesting that they decided to ditch "Warriors" without any outside pressure.

I wonder if that's a comment on why the university chose it in the first place? I can't comment on the timing, but 1954 was a strange time in our country.

Just a quick thought - could it have been a response to the new Milwaukee Braves!?

I love this quote I found in an article from Sportsline:

"No one ever thought there would be as much reaction as we got," (Marquette) board chairman John Bergstrom said.

Apparently Marquette's board of directors are the most egomaniacal, ignorant, worthless pieces of crap the world's ever seen.

Of course, I mean that in the nicest way possible.

But to come up with "Gold" as the nickname to a somewhat popular athletics program and think that there will be no backlash is quite possibly the stupidest thing ever.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Apparently Marquette's board of directors are the most egomaniacal, ignorant, worthless pieces of crap the world's ever seen.

hey, I thought I already said that :)

wait, all I said was that they're arrogant SOBs...though the rest is pretty close to the truth too ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

hey, I thought I already said that :)

wait, all I said was that they're arrogant SOBs...though the rest is pretty close to the truth too ;)

Didn't mean to steal your thunder!

I agree whole-heartedly. ;)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I had a feeling a week ago MU would reconsider "Gold." Sure enough, the public and alumni outcry against Gold was deafening to the Nth power.

Thursday morning's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has more on the reversal and reaction. To summarize, Gold is gone, but "bringing back Warriors was 'firmly off the table.'" Here are two sections from the article of note:

Julie Tolan, a university vice president responsible for alumni relations, said the strong reaction to the board's decision last week was different from the backlash in 1993 when the school moved to drop Warriors in favor of the Golden Eagles.

"Some of our nearest and dearest alumni who stand by us through thick and thin and love Marquette were hurt," she said. "They felt, 'What?' It just became clear to the trustees and Father Wild. Our relationships are our most important asset."

She added: "We made a mistake. Let's move forward."

The new plan will begin with the selection of a Marquette Nickname Advisory Committee, which will include students, alumni, faculty and staff. Those members will be announced soon.

In the next two weeks, a list of as many as 10 possible nicknames will be unveiled. The names, which will include such chestnuts as Blue and Gold, Golden Avalanche, Hilltoppers and Golden Eagles, will come from the names that sprang up during the 1994 and 2004 nickname debates.

Voting will be done online, and all students, alumni, faculty and staff will be asked to choose two nicknames from the list, or offer a write-in option.

Votes in favor of Warriors will be thrown out, officials said.

The two top options then will be subject to another round of online voting, expected to be sometime in mid-June. The nickname with the most support will be sent to Wild, who will announce the school's new athletics nickname.

The two rounds of voting will be binding. For those without access to the Internet, another method of voting will be provided.

As in the recent past, the board agreed that the winning nickname must be consistent with the university's mission and should not include any Native American imagery or other references.

"Father Wild will not let a list go out that he couldn't live with," Tolan said. "This is going to be transparent and a binding vote."

You will also notice a poll along with the article on readers' reaction to the latest move. At last check, "I still want Warriors" had two-thirds of the vote. JSOnline had a different poll late Wednesday after MU's announcement on "do you think it's a good idea to drop the Gold nickname even if it means not going back to Warriors?" That poll went about 3-to-1 YES.

Oh, all the nickname voting will be done before July 1, when Marquette makes its formal entry into the Big East Conference.

If the history of the nickname is so important to alumni and students, but the board of directors won't let them have Warriors then Hilltoppers is a logical choice. Golden Avalanche was the name used for the football team that they no longer have. But then again logic hasn't been used in the past from MU.

How many people know that the high school (Marquette University High School) just down the road from the University actually has the name? Well now because of this great site more people know.

Depending on how the Univeresity ties into the high school it would be a perfect tie-in.

Anyone know why they went from Hilltoppers to Warriors?

How many people know that the high school (Marquette University High School) just down the road from the University actually has the name?

Is Marquette High still all guys?

My buddy went there and it was then.

Cause if it is, I've got some suggestions they can take to free up Hilltoppers. :D

I can think of several high-school / college mascot tie-ins...the one that comes to mind first is Franklin, Indiana. Franklin College is the Grizzlies and Franklin High School is the (Grizzly) Cubs. How you would change "hilltoppers" to be a tie-in is beyond me.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

If "Hilltoppers" wasn't being used by the high school, I'd agree.

Actually, I still agree. Wouldn't bother me to have the nicknames be the same, but I can see why they're reluctant to adopt it.

Why can't the high school and college have the same nickname, especially if they share the same name (Marquette U.)?

Here in Philadelphia, St. Joseph's University and St. Joseph's Prep are both the Hawks. Ditto the LaSalle University/High School Explorers. No one mistakes the high school teams for the college teams.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Will white smoke appear when the voting is finished and they have picked a nickname?

HAHA thats hilarious

"We have nothing to fear except fear itself."

Archived