Miwaukee Admirals Changing Logos

josdin00

I found this article today. I haven't seen anything on this board about this, so I thought I'd give you all the head's up, in case anyone's interested.

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home/news...5667FE212BD4299

Milwaukee Admirals President Jon Greenberg announced today that the team will hold a sale of game-worn jerseys and other team equipment and memorabilia at the Bradley Center on July 18th through July 20th in preparation for the team?s upcoming logo change.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, they're changing their logo? That really flew under the radar around here.

As for the logo change, count me in as somebody who hopes they don't just go back to the pre-1998 uniforms/logos. That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing something based on the pre-1998 logo in our current colors with maybe a more traditional striping pattern (instead of that stupid sublimated wave pattern that I thought looked bush league from the beginning). Their color scheme is one of the best in the minor leagues, and I'd hate to see it sacrificed in the name of marketing.

QPR%20Sig.png

maybe they're going with a name change as well since there are 2 teams called the Admirals in the AHL (Norfolk and Milwaukee)

No way either team would change their name. Milwaukee Admirals have been around for a few decades. Norfolk has a history dating back to the late 1980s with the name.

Signature intentionally left blank

this sucks, I liked the logo and those jerseys. PLEASE don't look like Nashville, the look wouldn't suit them.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think its kinda stupid to have two teams named the Admirals. Reminds me of the CFL days of old with two RoughRider teams.

Maybe a slight modification should be in order. They would still have the nautical theme, but have an identity of their own. Instead of the "Admirals" how about the "Commodores" or the "Skippers". Just an idea. Their current logo looks more like a commodore anyway.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

We shouldn't have to change our nickname. Milwaukee's been the Admirals since 1970, back when they were a semi-pro independent team. Norfolk/Hampton Roads has only used the nickname since 1989. Forget about the fact that Norfolk has a year of seniority in the AHL, we've had the nickname for 19 more years than they have.

QPR%20Sig.png

We shouldn't have to change our nickname. Milwaukee's been the Admirals since 1970, back when they were a semi-pro independent team. Norfolk/Hampton Roads has only used the nickname since 1989. Forget about the fact that Norfolk has a year of seniority in the AHL, we've had the nickname for 19 more years than they have.

You might not have to worry about Norfolk. Rumor on another Message board is that Chicago Blackhawks(Parent club) might move it to Rockford or somewhere else in Illinois in the future

Signature intentionally left blank

You might not have to worry about Norfolk. Rumor on another Message board is that Chicago Blackhawks(Parent club) might move it to Rockford or somewhere else in Illinois in the future

Hasn't that rumor been floating around for a couple of years now? And didn't the Hawks re-up with Norfolk not too long ago, right around the time there was talk of Norfolk heading to Peoria?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It should be noted that the Blackhawks don't own the Norfolk Admirals franchise, but simply have an affiliation with the team. Even if Chicago was to switch its affiliation to Rockford the Admirals would still stay in Norfolk (and rumor has it they would be affiliating with Carolina) and would (unless their ownership decided otherwise), keep the Admirals name.

I think its kinda stupid to have two teams named the Admirals. Reminds me of the CFL days of old with two RoughRider teams.

Very true, but of course that was a result of the IHL Admirals joining the AHL. I don't think a team should have to change their moniker in the event of a coincidence like that.

Anyway, The CFL Rough Rider/Roughrider name thing happened because in 1924, the Ottawa Rough Riders decided to change their name to "Senators," at which point the Regina Rugby Club jumped at the name and made it their own (though each team gave a different meaning and spelling to the name). Two years later, the Ottawa club went back to using "Rough Riders." They also each played in different leagues, although after 1921 it was possible they could meet up in the Grey Cup game. The two teams weren't in the same actual league together until 1958, when the CFL was officially created.

Anyway, The CFL Rough Rider/Roughrider name thing happened because in 1924, the Ottawa Rough Riders decided to change their name to "Senators," at which point the Regina Rugby Club jumped at the name and made it their own (though each team gave a different meaning and spelling to the name). Two years later, the Ottawa club went back to using "Rough Riders." They also each played in different leagues, although after 1921 it was possible they could meet up in the Grey Cup game. The two teams weren't in the same actual league together until 1958, when the CFL was officially created.

In addition, a Rough Rider isn't the same as a Roughrider.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

In addition, a Rough Rider isn't the same as a Roughrider.

Yeah, I mentioned that when I said "...each team gave a different meaning and spelling to the name." I didn't include any descriptions just to keep the message short! But since I'm back talking about it, I'll add the description given on the Sask. Riders website:

"There are two theories on where the name "Roughriders" came from. One states that it came from the North West Mounted Police who were called Roughriders because they broke the wild horse broncos used by the force. The other states there was a Canadian contingent who fought with Teddy Roosevelt in the Spanish-American War. Roosevelt?s troops became known as the Roughriders. Following the war, the troops returned to Canada, part settling in Ottawa, and the rest moving out West. The colours of the Roosevelt infantry were red and black."

I don't know where the spelling "Rough Riders" came from as both the above references always seem to be spelled the other way. I've read that the Roosevelt connection is the one the Sask. team refers to; partially because at the time their team colors were red and black (like Rooselvelt's guys). But who knows; the Ottawa team had the same colors!

Yeah, I mentioned that when I said "...each team gave a different meaning and spelling to the name." I didn't include any descriptions just to keep the message short! But since I'm back talking about it, I'll add the description given on the Sask. Riders website:

"There are two theories on where the name "Roughriders" came from. One states that it came from the North West Mounted Police who were called Roughriders because they broke the wild horse broncos used by the force. The other states there was a Canadian contingent who fought with Teddy Roosevelt in the Spanish-American War. Roosevelt?s troops became known as the Roughriders. Following the war, the troops returned to Canada, part settling in Ottawa, and the rest moving out West. The colours of the Roosevelt infantry were red and black."

I don't know where the spelling "Rough Riders" came from as both the above references always seem to be spelled the other way. I've read that the Roosevelt connection is the one the Sask. team refers to; partially because at the time their team colors were red and black (like Rooselvelt's guys). But who knows; the Ottawa team had the same colors!

Same for Ottawa. I had always heard that the Roughriders were named after the RCMP unit, whereas the Rough Riders were named after Rooselvelt's Cavalry Regiment, the "Rough Riders" (Spelled separately), and their colours were the same. Not being one well-versed in the pre-CFL Canadian Football, I wasn't aware of the Roughriders not being in green. Interesting to know!

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived