Best Looking Pro Sports trophy

GMac

A better picture of the Sprint Cup:

nascar-sprint-cup-trophy.jpg

Although it's technically not a cup per se, it's still the best-looking pro sports trophy.

I personally like trophies that take some aspect of the game they represent and include them as part of the design. The Sprint Cup is a really clever and beautiful trophy for racing due to the checkered flags. I also love the Lombardi Trophy because of the football and tee (is that what its called?) and the NBA's trophy is great because it not only includes the ball, rim, and net...but also the court. I would also throw in there the college BCS championship trophy as well. The crystal football looks pretty nice when the players raise it above their heads.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eariler in this thread, a question was asked about "replica" or "Replacement" trophys.

I do know the current Stanley cup is a replica. The original is in the Hockey Hall of Fame (along with the "retired" rings that are removed when they are full). The original cup is very old and brittle, so a duplicate was made when the cup assumed it's current form in the 1960's

On the MLB trophy, one such trophy was dammaged in 2001. The torphy awarded to the Arizona Diamondbacks had a couple of the "Flagpoles" damaged in the post series parade. It was shiped back to the MLB for repair. The newer trophy is a bit more "robust" on the flags to avoid such a mishap again.

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

I have a soft spot for all the rivalry trophies in college football. When Minnesota finally won back the Little Brown Jug in 2005 and the team just raced over to the Michigan sideline to take it--perfect. (I'm not a fan of either team, but I can appreciate a good Big Ten tradition when I see one).

Favorite trophy game moment, also involving Minnesota: 2003, Rhys Lloyd kicks a game-winning field goal as time expired. He IMMEDIATELY runs to the Wisconsin sideline, hurdling over a bench on the way, to pull Paul Bunyan's Axe out of the bag.

P.S. You should see Minnesota's trophy room now. :D (Hint: it's empty.)

OK, going back to the original subject, I'd have to rank them like this:

Pro Sports Trophies

1. Stanley Cup (Is it the only trophy that has a full-time caretaker?)

2. MLS Cup (a HUUUUUUUUUUGE upgrade over the boring Rotheberg Trophy and the WNBA-like 2nd trophy)

3. Lombardi Trophy (Yeah it's just a football on a pedestal, but it still looks good)

4. Commissioner's Trophy (Was a lot better when it had the team names)

5. Borg-Warner Trophy (Yeah, that thing's awesome)

College rivalry trophies (I don't know many of them outside of the Big Ten, though)

1. Paul Bunyan's Axe (Minnesota/Wisconsin)

2. Little Brown Jug (Michigan/Minnesota)

3. Old Oaken Bucket (Indiana/Purdue)

4. Floyd of Rosedale (Minnesota/Iowa)

5. Keg of Nails (Louisville/Cincinnati; probably the only non-Big Ten trophy I know about)

sportsbanner-single.jpg

All of those Big Ten rivalry trophies are dumb. sry!

Good critique...

accurate critique.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good critique...

accurate critique.

Not if you're a fan of the teams involved.

What does being a fan have to do with objectively evaluating the aesthetics of a design?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good critique...

accurate critique.

Not if you're a fan of the teams involved.

What does being a fan have to do with objectively evaluating the aesthetics of a design?

Nothing, really. I don't think the admiral was discussing aesthetics when he called the Big Ten trophies "dumb," however.

In Tennis its unusual for players to take the Davis Cup trophy, base and all, for a lap of honour!

davis_cup.jpg

This is the most awkward-looking trophy ever. It's like a fat girl without boobs.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Intrastate MLB rivals Houston Astros and Texas Rangers during interleague play vie for the Silver Boot which is an actual boot cast in silver.

400px-Silver_Boot.JPG

Crosstown rivals University of Houston and Rice duke it out each year for the Bayou Bucket which looks wonderfully beat up.

610x.jpg

I figured that most people would say the Stanley Cup is the best, but I really think the Grey Cup looks better. It's so unfamiliar to Americans that I can understand why the Stanley Cup would be preferred.

One thing we can all probably agree on is that two-handed side-holding of the championship trophy above your head is awesome.

grey-cup.jpg

Archived