Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

Marinatto resigns as head of Big East

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18983292

Two years too late. The Big East is C-USA 2.0 and officially irrelevant in the scope of college football.

The curious thing about the article was the statement about the Mountain West leaving two spots open for San Diego State and Boise State in case they wanted to jump back to a surprisingly stable conference.

GR30a5H.png

Marinatto resigns as head of Big East

http://www.cbssports...murphy/18983292

Two years too late. The Big East is C-USA 2.0 and officially irrelevant in the scope of college football.

Marinatto did little wrong. He had to deal with certain football school and even more basketball schools; so he had more presidents/chancellors to satisfy plus Notre Dame. All he could do was present options to the presidents/chancellors who make the real decisions over athletic directors. The Big East also hired Paul Tagliabue for TV rights in April 2010, but left $1.4B on the table from ESPN last year and took the chance to open up the bidding to every cable channel.

FSU BOT Blasts the ACC.

This new TV deal favors basketball and FSU is pissed. I'd bet the farm that FSU wont be in the ACC 5 years from now. It has to be Big 12 or bust. My guess is at least three other teams will join them. I think Clemson will be with them for sure. Maybe Miami with FSU but I think Miami is on the brink of death.

FSU BOT Blasts the ACC.

This new TV deal favors basketball and FSU is pissed. I'd bet the farm that FSU wont be in the ACC 5 years from now. It has to be Big 12 or bust. My guess is at least three other teams will join them. I think Clemson will be with them for sure. Maybe Miami with FSU but I think Miami is on the brink of death.

We also need to keep in mind that when the ACC raised their exit fee last year (originally at $16M), FSU was able to have it at $20M as opposed to the $35+M which the other members wanted.

Also, as the BOT Chair stated, the fact that this new ACC deal includes 3rd tier rights, while the Big XII contract is larger ($20M/year) and does not include 3rd tier. That allows for the individual school to sell the home game on their own (Longhorn Network or PPV). Lastly, add the fact that the SEC is going back to the table with their addition of Mizzou and aTm and the Gators may receive as much as $30M/year, the crying will continue from Seminole Nation.

Mason is staying in the CAA, VCU has yet to decide.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/sport/2012/may/12/tdsport01-mason-stays-in-the-caa-no-decision-from--ar-1909401/

In all honesty, I think VCU should stay in the CAA, but I wouldn't be shocked if they go to the A-10

Liberty University also is looking to joining Division I :lol:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/may/12/liberty-u-seeks-division-i-football-ar-1910353/

baltimoreravens.png

As the fan of a Big East school in Florida, my best case scenario is for FSU to bolt to the B12 and open a spot for South Florida to replace FSU in the ACC. Pretty much both conferences are similar on a competitive level, but the ACC is far more stable.

I can see FSU moving to the Big 12 but Clemson will chicken out and stay in the ACC.

My gut says that if anyone goes Big 12 with FSU, it's Louisville. They've pretty much told the Big East they're out if a better deal comes around.

This BOT article seems to be the spark that lit the powder keg. DWF did a great job of putting in a nutshell the big reasons why. Word is the big 12 has a boner for FSU. Expect this done and done soon. Makes sense on both sides. I mean how could you not? Get ready because CFB is now the Big 4. Just in time for the 4 team playoff. The latest TV deal proves that the ACC cares about basketball and will drop football to feed the tobacco road beast. That is cool. It was nice to take down the ACC in basketball on our way out.

What I'm interested in, if FSU bolts, does the ACC stick with the 14 or go back down to 12 if they let Clemson walk? I would guess Rutgers or USF would be next up for a raid in the event it's just FSU leaving to bring it back to 14

This deal all but said, screw football. I think if they do expand it will be two basketball schools. Clemson and FSU might not be the only ACC schools that will bolt for the Big 12. Maybe Miami. Though I still think they are close to death. Their death is just an opinion though.

I tell you what. I cant wait to have Texas, West Virginia, and Oklahoma as division rivals. Eventually the Big 4 will have at least 14 teams each. Where will ND end up? Times are changing. They have to go somewhere. Kudos to Utah and TCU for making it in this Big 4. Too bad for Boise State unless somehow they end up in the Big 12. I wouldn't bet on it.

Where will ND end up? Times are changing. They have to go somewhere.

They'll stay independent, 'cause "football independence is a vital part of their identity as a university".

1313594823636.jpg