Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CRichardson

2012 NCAA Football thread

3,024 posts in this topic

Just read news on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website that the Georgia State Panthers have accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt in 2013. Big news. They've only been playing football for two years.

Just read news on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website that the Georgia State Panthers have accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt in 2013. Big news. They've only been playing football for two years.

Glad to hear.

I know their coach Bill Curry took the job out of favor to the state in order to help get the school to the D1A level and I know he's done alot to try to help promote the program so I would say he deserves thanks above anyone.

We have a thread on this page regarding realignment within D-1. It was available to use,

Oh goddamnit here come ALL THE FOIA REQUESTS.

Petrino accident 9-1-1 audio

Great... now Atlanta can have a choice of local FBS programs to ignore in favor of the SEC team up the highway.

I mean, I love the place because it's my school, but Sun Devil Stadium was in need of upgrades. At the very least, they were going to need to update the amenities, video boards, and seating area. And if they can really get that roof up to work, that'll be amazing. Day games will be tolerable anywhere in the stadium. Right now, day games are damn near a death sentence.

I'm excited about it.

The cost of the stadium has not been determined at this time.

$Texas

Yeah it's going to cost money, but I remember there was some special bond measure/taxing zone in the stadium area that was voted on and put into place? AJM? Gary? Any other ASUs?

EDIT: Found it

Including the canopy, cost could run as high as $300 million, although the price tag is not yet fixed. What is certain, though, is that the university has an ongoing funding source for athletic capital projects in place through the creation of an athletic-facilities district.

Approved by the Arizona Legislature in spring 2010, the 400-acre district covers ASU-owned land from Tempe Marketplace to College Avenue and Tempe Town Lake to University Boulevard. Developers will pay a fee similar to a property tax to provide revenue not only for Sun Devil Stadium but improvements at Wells Fargo Arena and on other athletic facilities. ASU remains in negotiations with the Chicago Cubs for the school's baseball team to share the Cubs' new spring-training facility at Riverview Park in Mesa starting in 2014.

"We know the key thing in developing of the district is this world-class sports arena," Crow said. "We don't want to say what we're thinking about doing, we want to say this is what we're going to do. We want major developers to know we're moving ahead with the stadium. It's all interconnected. We know we can get it done, it's just how do we get it started?"

LINK

So yeah, is it going to cost some money? Yes.

Is there more than enough ways to pay for it? Yes.

The new AD was basically responsible and involved in every stage of building Reliant Stadium in Houston. Now obviously the NFL and ASU are far different things in some areas, but I think he has the ability to get it done.

While there is an stadium thread, part of the tax zone you did not mention.

In November, Maricopa County did set up the special tax zone on ASU owned commercial property. This will most likely be challenged in court.

Yeah, the tax zone was set up for ASU owned property but has not been mentioned much since...it could be challenged in court but I can't really comment much further on that. Not much else has been mentioned about the athletic district either, which is the land that the Karsten Golf course sits on.

More info here.

https://asunews.asu.edu/20100927_sportsinthenews_athleticcomplex

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2010/09/26/20100926asu-michael-crow-envisions-world-class-amateur-athletic-complex.html

Great... now Atlanta can have a choice of local FBS programs to ignore in favor of the SEC team up the highway.

Georgia Tech fans ignore attending home football games as it is.....

Petrino got fired. Good. Hopefully he learned his lesson. Maybe a show called, "My Name is Bobby."

You reap what you sow. You hire a Decetful liar, don't be surprised when he deceits you with a big lie that blows up in your face.

Oh and Petrino was informed he was fired via letter. That is called irony my friends

Who will Arkansas pick for their new Head Coach?

Petrino. Guillen. Payton. Potentially Drew and Mulkey at Baylor. What the hell is going on with coaches all of a sudden? Or at least, why all at once?

Arizona State University Announces New Look For Sun Devil Stadium

Patterson and Graham met with media, fans and staff on Wednesday to share some of the basics of the revitalized stadium in addition to some of the initial renderings of the updated and upgraded stadium, which will remain in its iconic location in between the Buttes in Tempe.

The renderings are not finalized, but the tentative plan would create a shade canopy over the stadium that will allow the passage of natural light and the passage of air into the stadium while also allowing the Sun Devils to play day games earlier in the year to accommodate Pac-12 Network obligations.

The addition of the shade canopy, in addition to other alterations, will decrease seating to an area between 55,000 and 65,000 seats. As such, larger seats will be provided with more leg room and the potential of more seats with a seat back.

The stadium will be updated with a state-of-the-art sound system, video board and scoreboards, and ADA amenities and features.

----

The cost of the stadium has not been determined at this time. There are also two different options available for the build: one that would allow the team and fans to stay in Sun Devil Stadium during construction or another that would move ASU out of the stadium for a season or two that would allow time to complete the project faster. The stadium can be built in up to five stages, but a timetable has not been establish as yet.

LINK

Shade? Seat backs? Improved amenities?

Thank Jesus.

Got the opportunity to see these earlier in the week at a meeting...seems like than plan/photos are initially well-received by the public.

I need to stop whining about an Ohio State or Bowling Green game in the 80's opening weekend...Arizona State still plays in 100's

You reap what you sow. You hire a Decetful liar, don't be surprised when he deceits you with a big lie that blows up in your face.

Oh and Petrino was informed he was fired via letter. That is called irony my friends

Petrino is a pig after all...

They'll probably go with an interim coach (likely promoting a coordinator/assistant coach) for the season. I'd think they'll give Gus Malzahn (a native Arkansas man) a call after the season and see if he'd like to stay in-state and coach a real football team.

They'll probably go with an interim coach (likely promoting a coordinator/assistant coach) for the season. I'd think they'll give Gus Malzahn (a native Arkansas man) a call after the season and see if he'd like to stay in-state and coach a real football team.

They could go intern but I wouldn't put it past them to go after somebody like a Jim Tressel.

I would think anyone could and would be a potential target though. Just depends on how aggressive Arkansas wants to be in finding a new coach. Could do the Ohio State thing where they basically go year without a coach or they go after some big names right away.

Jim Tressel? You think Arkansas is going to hire a controversial coach after they just fired Petrino?

They'll hire a coach that doesn't yet have the reputation of being a liar or a cheat. If they wanted a coach that puts winning above integrity, they would have kept Petrino.

Jim Tressel? You think Arkansas is going to hire a controversial coach after they just fired Petrino?

They'll hire a coach that doesn't yet have the reputation of being a liar or a cheat. If they wanted a coach that puts winning above integrity, they would have kept Petrino.

In the SEC? Yeah I could see it.

I wouldn't put them past trying anything. Most people there I think just want to win games. Beyond that who cares. Just don't get program violations.

They could go intern but I wouldn't put it past them to go after somebody like a Jim Tressel.

I would think anyone could and would be a potential target though. Just depends on how aggressive Arkansas wants to be in finding a new coach. Could do the Ohio State thing where they basically go year without a coach or they go after some big names right away.

There's too many off-the-field distractions to bother bringing in a new coach in April. Obviously, a coach search will take time. Filling out a coaching staff will take time. Moving a coaching staff's family takes time. The coaching staff won't get to hold practices (and implement their systems) with the players until the summer.

Arkansas will be more successful if they keep the rest of the coaching staff in place, at least for this season. Best-case scenario, the team plays well and the interim gets to shed that label at the end of the year. Worst thing that happens, the team has a bad year, but the AD is already well-prepared in the search of a new permanent head coach.

I wouldn't put them past trying anything. Most people there I think just want to win games. Beyond that who cares. Just don't get program violations.

Again, if people there just wanted to win games, they would have kept Petrino.

Kinda like what Tressel just left Ohio State with?

There's too many off-the-field distractions to bother bringing in a new coach in April. Obviously, a coach search will take time. Filling out a coaching staff will take time. Moving a coaching staff's family takes time. The coaching staff won't get to hold practices (and implement their systems) with the players until the summer.

Arkansas will be more successful if they keep the rest of the coaching staff in place, at least for this season. Best-case scenario, the team plays well and the interim gets to shed that label at the end of the year. Worst thing that happens, the team has a bad year, but the AD is already well-prepared in the search of a new permanent head coach.

I'll give it about 80/20 they go the Ohio State route versus hiring a new coach right away.

They really would have to have their sights dialed in on somebody coming out of the gates in order for them to hire a coach they would want, which they might. I would imagine most every college in football at this point has a short list of guys to contact if they need a new head coach as you mentioned. Maybe they don't get any of those right away in which case they go the Ohio State plan B, but then again maybe they'll hit paydirt with somebody. They'll probably calling some of those guys asking for interviews right now.

I do think there would be enough time for a new coach to hire a staff by the time summer practices come around. Worst case scenario they just hire the head coach and worry about the staff next year which even that I could see being workable.

I think it all depends on what direction they want to go in. I would look to hire a new coach right away but if I didn't get a commitment for the 2012 season and beyond by the end of next week from somebody I would want then I would go for the intern route and focus on getting a coach for 2013.

Okay and? Hasn't stopped many teams before.

He was able to keep his job through the Clarett scandal.

Its unlikely granted, but again I don't anything past an SEC team trying.

No, Arkansas would like to actually avoid having at third consecutive coach whose career implodes in a soap opratic manner. That means no Tressel, no Bowden, and especially no Gus Malzahn; between his crazy wife and the bad memories of his role in "The Fall of Nutt" Malzahn is a non-starter.

They'll likely rescue Garrick McGee from his no-win position at Alabama-Birmingham instead.

Okay and? Hasn't stopped many teams before.

He was able to keep his job through the Clarett scandal.

Its unlikely granted, but again I don't anything past an SEC team trying.

In case you've forgotten, Mr. Sweatervest is still under a goddamn show cause penalty. And an SEC school is going to have to show one heck of a lot of cause to hire somebody under one of those. And again, this ignores that 1) Arkansas would like to avoid hiring a coach with massive baggage and 2) Tresselball would be a disaster at Arkansas; it's boring and heavily dependent on Arkansas having superior talent than the opposition-which is somewhat problematic given SEC fanbases and how Arkansas has natural talent disadvantages compared to Alabama and LSU in particular.

While it is a show cause for five years, his penalty is really just for five weeks/games and any post season action. Any school can still hire him and face a penalty, but if tOSU only lost nine scholarships (which amounts to three a season), the hiring school won't get anything equal.

He cannot be a part of the program for that time in terms of contact with players and staff but he would still be able to recruit.

From the NCAA COI report on Ohio State:

As set forth in Finding B-2, the committee found that the former head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct standards when he failed to report his knowledge of NCAA violations and in doing so, permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition while ineligible during the 2010 season. That season culminated in a Big Ten Conference Championship and an appearance in a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) postseason contest. Further, in

September 2010, the former head coach falsely attested that he reported to the institution any knowledge of NCAA violations when he signed the institution's certification of compliance form, which is required under Bylaw 18.4.2.1.1.4. Therefore, the former head coach will be informed in writing by the NCAA that, due to his involvement in violations of NCAA legislation found in this case, the committee imposes a five-year show-cause period upon him pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2-(k). During the period, which begins December 20, 2011, and concludes on December 19, 2016, the committee restricts the athletically related duties of the former head coach as follows:

a. He shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five games during the initial year he is employed as well as any postseason contest(s) during that year. During this suspension, the former head coach shall not be present in the venue where the games are played and shall not have any contact with other members of the coaching staff or any football student-athletes while the games are ongoing. Further, the head coach may not participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but not limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. The suspension from the first five contests includes all coaching activities commencing when the team reports for fall practice through the

conclusion of the fifth game. The suspension from the postseason contests commences at the end of the last regular season contest and expires at the conclusion of the final postseason contest.

[NOTE: Postseason includes both a conference championship contest and a bowl game.]

b. Any employing institution shall file within 60 days of hiring the former head coach (or, if he is employed at a member institution presently, 60 days after the release of this case), a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions detailing how it will monitor the former head coach so as to prevent a recurrence of the violations set forth in this report,

as well as information documenting compliance with the restrictions imposed. Thereafter, the institution shall file reports every six months until the end of the show-cause period, detailing its efforts to monitor the former head coach. If an institution chooses to contest these sanctions, itshall schedule an appearance before the Committee on Infractions to show cause why such restrictions should not be implemented.

Edited by dfwabel

Petrino is a pig after all...

And the Taiwanese animation is now out...NSFW