• Members
  • 12,661 posts

• Favourite Logos:Baltimore Orioles "Cartoon Bird"
      Toronto Blue Jays "New/Old Jay"
      Stockton Thunder
      Alaska Aces
      Hartford Whalers

Posted March 29, 2012 - 13:29

If Pierre McGuire became GM of the Canadiens, expect a team of NO enforcers whatsoever.

He'll do whatever he can to bring in Rick Nash, and Dion Phaneuf.

92129aa3-1564-40b2-867e-f5c99a4df974_zps

Flames|Packers|Blue Bombers|Blue Jays|Crimson Tide|Newcastle United|KNVB

#4642 Morgo

Morgo

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Logos:Boston Bruins
      Dallas Stars
      Detroit Red Wings
      Hartford Whalers
      Minnesota North Stars
      Vancouver Canucks Orca

Posted March 29, 2012 - 13:34

Canucks beg Canucks fans not to burn things down again, just to be on the safe side.

You know it's sad when your team has to put together a video to tell the fans not to riot.

The people who started the riots weren't hockey fans. They were going to start the riot regardless of the games outcome. I will agree that lots of Booze fuelled Canucks fans did join in later but that's what happens when a party gets out of hand. The amount of people present in downtown Vancouver coupled with the relaxed police presence and liquor restrictions made this sort of thing an inevitability. More people = more chances for bad apples. Nobody talks about what happened on Whyte Avenue when the Oilers clinched the Western Conference title in 2006... or what happened after the Candiens won a first round (!) series in 2008. There are idiots in every fanbase, it's not exclusive to the Canucks.

#4643 Kramerica Industries

Kramerica Industries
  • Breaking what needs no fixing

• Members
  • 6,723 posts

• Favourite Logos:NY Yankees
      Prev: TB Buccaneers

Posted March 29, 2012 - 13:39

But facebook didn't exist back then, preventing us from seeing these gems from Oilers fans:

(Hidden due to profanity)

Spoiler

(Update - misread the above post, and I retract the mention of the Flames.)

KnuxCCSLC.png

#4644 NEW.ERA

NEW.ERA
  • Young Gunz 2

• Members
  • 12,661 posts

Stockton Thunder
      Alaska Aces
      Hartford Whalers

Posted March 29, 2012 - 13:42

Well I know Flames fans didn't do anything outlandish. A few bad things usually happen when 10,000+ fans every night walk down a major street in Calgary.

#4645 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 3,926 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 14:53

^

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=624777

The Montreal Canadiens have fired General Manager Pierre Gauthier. No replacement was named.

Canadiens President Geoff Molson will hold a press conference at 11:45 a.m. to discuss the move.

The only good news I've heard this week. This was long overdue.

As overdue as it is, it doesn't really make much sense to fire the GM with 5 games left in the year.

It makes more sense then firing your coach, when you're still technically in reach of a playoff spot.

I can see where your coming from though, but when you're eliminated, and the crap that Gauthier as brought to the Habs, better rid themselves of that now, then when your preparing your draft and offseason.

Curious as to why Gainey got the axe as well. I don't think you can put most of the blame on him, he would have probably been a better choice then old Pierre in the first place.

Gainey was still pulling a lot of strings and it was unclear (from a fan's point of view) what exactly his position was. He did step down two years ago and Gauthier took the spot, but they've basically been working hand-in-hand since 2006 when Gauthier was named assistant GM. The results for the Habs were simply disastrous. The 2010 Stanley Cup run was a fluke and the team was saved by great goaltending, but no flaws were corrected in the following offseasons. Geoff Molson did mention today that the organization needs to find its way back to being a contender, not just a team aiming to get into the playoffs.

It's a good move to have Serge Savard as a consultant.

Also, if owners already know what's going to happen with the Coyotes (or any other team moving to Quebec City), then Molson may have acted fast enough to get Patrick Roy before he stays put in Quebec City.
Three times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013)
Two times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 Confederation Cup VI // 2010 Confederation Cup VII)

#4646 wildwing64

wildwing64
  • And then I come in to save the day!

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

• Favourite Logos:Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Posted March 29, 2012 - 16:21

Corey Perry did not deserve that goal. That was a horrible call by the officials and should be taken away. That puck was no where close to going in the net and then after the puck hits the OUTSIDE of the net Dan Boyle slides and knocks the net off the morring trying to stop the shot. That was a horrible call by the on-ice officials and there is no way that the NHL should allow a puck that isn't going in the net and has no chance to go in the net, to be a goal because a guy knocks off the net trying to stop the shot after the shot hits the outside of the net. Pathetic officiating on the ice, and pathetic call from Toronto who didn't reverse the call. So now, all you have to do is hit the outside of the net for it to be called a goal? Brilliant! Just friggin' brilliant!

Except it's an official league rule.

Credit to Adam Brady, writer of the Anaheim Ducks Ducks Blog, for the copypasta:

Rule 63.6: "When the goal post has been displaced deliberately by the defending team when their goaltender has been removed for an extra attacker thereby preventing an impending goal by the attacking team, the Referee shall award a goal to the attacking team."

I admit I was scratching my head after watching it happen. Oh well. Guess it makes up for that one they took away from us against Boston.

And :censored:ing typical that the one year I got to see a Ducks game live and in person, they ended up having a crappy year and failed to qualify for the playoffs :lol:

#4647 ElwoodCuse

ElwoodCuse

• Members
  • 1,464 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 16:48

Every non-Habs fan should want Pierre as GM so we don't have to see his creepy mug on TV anymore
Posted Image

#4648 Morgo

Morgo

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

• Favourite Logos:Boston Bruins
      Dallas Stars
      Detroit Red Wings
      Hartford Whalers
      Minnesota North Stars
      Vancouver Canucks Orca

Posted March 29, 2012 - 17:15

Well I know Flames fans didn't do anything outlandish. A few bad things usually happen when 10,000+ fans every night walk down a major street in Calgary.

I was at the Red Mile in 2004 quite frequently and must say that Flames fans were the definition of class. Easily the best of all the recent Canadian finalists.

#4649 ninersdd

ninersdd
  • BEAT LA

• Members
  • 5,319 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 18:00

Sounds pretty fair. Thanks.

I don't care for Hahn or Remenda myself, but when I'm not watching the Sharks online, that's usually what NBC leaves everyone with. Probably because of the who
NBC/Comcast connection and what-not.

This continues to the production perspective. It's not produced like a national broadcast. It's the Sharks broadcast. It's also just lazy on NBC's part, because they always do this with their late season hockey coverage. In past years, they'd pick up CSN Philadelphia or Washington
for a Flyers or Caps game, but this was also before they had full time broadcasters with Emerick and Strader. And while they get the East Coast games fine now, they cop
out for the second game of their doubleheader for their West Coast game and just put on CSN's Sharks game. Heck, they copped out for the Kings/Canucks game by using TSN's feed, but at least taht was a national
broadcast. NBC has their two broadcast teams with Emerick and Strader, they should have one team at each game. I understand that's hard to do with them having
games on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, but there's ways to make it a national game still. In the past, they've used the Ducks John Alhers for NBC/Versus games that feature
the Ducks and he's done it for a couple non-Ducks games as well. They'll pair Alhers with one of the other color guys NBC uses (Brickely, Reaugh, etc) like at the Ducks/Stars game last month with Alhers in the booth and McGuire in
between the glass. NBC Sports has gotten better in their coverage, but this in particular (late season double header feed stealing) is something they haven't changed and it sucks.

In addition the NHL needs to look into flex-scheduling late in the year. For example, I understand that after last year, Lightning-Bruins on Tuesday looked like a great game, but one of the teams isn't doing well and could've been flipped for Sabres-Caps. In addition, obviously Wings-Jackets should've been changed for say Rangers-Jets last night. I mean this isn't like the NFL where it requires a few hours to change the games, but in the NHL the times won't change at all, just who carries the game.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

#4650 HedleyLamarr

HedleyLamarr
  • Around the world....and up your block.....no more bullsheet.

• Members
  • 9,718 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 18:14

Sounds pretty fair. Thanks.

I don't care for Hahn or Remenda myself, but when I'm not watching the Sharks online, that's usually what NBC leaves everyone with. Probably because of the whole NBC/Comcast connection and what-not.

That's exactly what it is, and it bugs me from a fan watching perspective and a production perspective. As a fan, I'm excited when I hear that the Ducks are going to be on national TV so I don't have to be subjected to my crappy internet feed since I'm not in SoCal anymore, but then I'm reminded it's a Sharks game and we're getting Randy and Drew. They're not national broadcasters and won't ever be. They're the San Jose broadcasters. BTW, did you guys know it was Logan Couture's birthday yesterday? I sure didn't. <_<

This continues to the production perspective. It's not produced like a national broadcast. It's the Sharks broadcast. It's also just lazy on NBC's part, because they always do this with their late season hockey coverage. In past years, they'd pick up CSN Philadelphia or Washington for a Flyers or Caps game, but this was also before they had full time broadcasters with Emerick and Strader. So while they get the East Coast games fine now, they cop out for the second game of their doubleheader for their West Coast game and just put on CSN's Sharks game. Heck, they copped out for the Kings/Canucks game by using TSN's feed, but at least taht was a national broadcast. NBC has their two broadcast teams with Emerick and Strader, they should have one team at each game. I understand that's hard to do with them having games on Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, but there's ways to make it a national game still. In the past, they've used the Ducks John Alhers for NBC/Versus games that feature the Ducks and he's done it for a couple non-Ducks games as well. They'll pair Alhers with one of the other color guys NBC uses (Brickely, Reaugh, etc) like at the Ducks/Stars game last month with Alhers in the booth and McGuire in between the glass. NBC Sports has gotten better in their coverage, but this in particular (late season double header feed stealing) is something they haven't changed and it sucks.

It's probably a contractual thing. NBC-SN can pick up a CSN broadcast because they're sister networks, and can also pick up CBC and TSN feeds because these channels aren't broadcast in many US cities. On occasion, Versus did pick up the MSG Network feeds of Rangers games (probably because it's a channel not offered to many markets outside New York) and Altitude Network feeds for Avalanche games.

However, Fox Sports and NBC-SN are rival networks, and it just so happens that most American teams use a partner of Fox (whether it be FSN, Root Sports, SportSouth, Prime Ticket, etc.) as the main provider of game broadcasts. Fox most likely doesn't want to lose viewers to NBC-SN, even if it's the same exact feed. It's the same reason why the local team's broadcast gets blacked-out on Center Ice when it's being televised locally. All about ratings.

NBC-SN can get away with having two broadcast teams during the season because the calendar allows fill-in announcers when their team's playing (or nearby or on an extended break between games), and they'll be picking up some announcers in the playoffs from teams that have been eliminated.

mstshadowhw6.gif

#4651 njmeadowlanders

njmeadowlanders
  • @GoldAsIce

• Members
  • 5,359 posts

• Favourite Logos:New York Mets

Posted March 29, 2012 - 18:29

There are hundreds of fans in Ranger jerseys at the Nassau Mausoleum tonight rooting all-out for the Isles against Pittsburgh.

I $*#%#%#@^#@@ing love hockey.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

#4652 sportstar1212

sportstar1212
  • Let's Go B's!

• Members
  • 3,500 posts

• Favourite Logos:Chicago Blackhawks
      Montreal Expos
      New England Patriots "Pat Patriot"
      Boston Celtics
      Hockey Canada 2010

Posted March 29, 2012 - 19:20

There are hundreds of fans in Ranger jerseys at the Nassau Mausoleum tonight rooting all-out for the Isles against Pittsburgh.

I $*#%#%#@^#@@ing love hockey.

That reminds me of last year when after my team got into the finals, a bunch of us went to the last game of the other semi-final to cheer for the underdog team so we could play the easier team in the finals :lol: Unfortunately for us the favorite came through ad we got our asses kicked in the finals, both literally and figuratively.

SSs78Ju.png

#4653 speedy

speedy

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 19:40

Anyone watching NESN? The Bear & the Gang was pretty hilarious.

skyline-1.png

#4654 Brass

Brass
  • Milk Crates Beware.

• Members
  • 12,480 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 19:44

Anyone watching NESN? The Bear & the Gang was pretty hilarious.

I wonder how inebriated Rene Rancourt was during it.

Anyway, I'm hoping Pierre McGuire gets the Canadiens GM job so he's not on TV anymore. I'm convinced all he does is overhear the bench and then make assumptions and suggestions based off of what the coaches are already talking about. He provides absolutely nothing to the game when he's commentating.

boston1.png

#4655 Mindless

Mindless
  • Life is an Odyssey!

• Members
  • 6,564 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 19:57

Dear Yahoo,

Typos can easily convey the wrong message!

Case in point:

Posted Image

#4656 Brass

Brass
  • Milk Crates Beware.

• Members
  • 12,480 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 20:28

Bruins down 2-0 with about 10 minutes left, only to come back and force OT after goals by David Krejci and Captain Planet Andrew Ference. If they can win this in OT, they'll clinch a playoff spot.

boston1.png

#4657 NEW.ERA

NEW.ERA
  • Young Gunz 2

• Members
  • 12,661 posts

Stockton Thunder
      Alaska Aces
      Hartford Whalers

Posted March 29, 2012 - 20:32

Let's go Blue Jays! Chants in the ACC.

#4658 Mindless

Mindless
  • Life is an Odyssey!

• Members
  • 6,564 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 20:37

Bruins down 2-0 with about 10 minutes left, only to come back and force OT after goals by David Krejci and Captain Planet Andrew Ference. If they can win this in OT, they'll clinch a playoff spot.

It's only fitting that tonight's game ends in a shootout.

#4659 Don

Don
  • Vamos DC

• Members
  • 3,840 posts

• Favourite Logos:The "Weagle", the Nationals Curly W

Posted March 29, 2012 - 20:38

The Caps must hate their fans. QUIT SCREWING WITH US!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

#4660 Mindless

Mindless
  • Life is an Odyssey!

• Members
  • 6,564 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 20:42

Yes!!!!