Actual Information about Nike in 2012

DeFrank

It's incredibly stupid from anyone's viewpoint other than the league's and Nike's.

Have they said if the slogans will be on the replicas? Or is this a way to justify the premium price of an "authentic"?

Also while we won't know for another year, I'm betting that the slogans will change each season, forcing collectors to buy new jerseys every year even if their team (Raiders for example) never changes design. As I stated before, it's goddam brilliant, yet stupid all at the same time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys.....

If the Redskins, a team with great possibilities of "Hail to the Redskins", "Fight for old DC", or "Braves on the Warpath" is going with something completely generic like "TEAM EFFORT TRADITION" then why the hell would anyone else use actual fan or team specific slogans? Seriously, the Chargers could be "Go Chargers Go" or "Superchargers" but they'll probably be "Execution Precision Victory" or something stupid.

Same observation I made. If this collar slogan trend just has to happen, I think this is where Nike misses the mark. With teams with iconic mottos such as the Raiders' "Just Win, Baby!" there wouldn't be any need to update the collars as BBTV's pointed out because a few roster or philosophy changes wouldn't tamper with the history ingrained in said mottos. Of course "Team Effort Tradition" gets the job done but there is more value in just using "Hail to the Redskins" if they want a motto that will last, and tie directly into the team's identity.

Midway.png

It's incredibly stupid from anyone's viewpoint other than the league's and Nike's.

Have they said if the slogans will be on the replicas? Or is this a way to justify the premium price of an "authentic"?

Also while we won't know for another year, I'm betting that the slogans will change each season, forcing collectors to buy new jerseys every year even if their team (Raiders for example) never changes design. As I stated before, it's goddam brilliant, yet stupid all at the same time.

Or even 1-game limited edition ones (i.e. "In memory of _____").

NFL teams don't get 16 sets of jerseys though...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Guys.....

If the Redskins, a team with great possibilities of "Hail to the Redskins", "Fight for old DC", or "Braves on the Warpath" is going with something completely generic like "TEAM EFFORT TRADITION" then why the hell would anyone else use actual fan or team specific slogans? Seriously, the Chargers could be "Go Chargers Go" or "Superchargers" but they'll probably be "Execution Precision Victory" or something stupid.

Because other teams aren't owned by people who actually hate their fans and wish to destroy said fan traditions.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Guys.....

I wonder who ultimately decided on "TEAM EFFORT TRADITION."

In 2011. "CrazyAnna" actually raises an interesting point. Most modern NFL memorials are limited to useless (i.e. unmarketable) helmet stickers or the very rare jersey patch. A patch can be purchased for $5.99. If you move the memorial to the inside of the collar, it's yet another jersey that the collector needs to have. Death is area were teams have failed to profit... possibly until now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe not, but at least with the Bears, it's very close. They Bears teamed up with a website which sells game used unis and helmets. You can go on there during the season and, for the low, low price of $8,000, buy a jersey Brian Urlacher wore in any of 8 or more games. It says which game the jerseys were worn in. It isn't just the star players, because you could also get a Stephen Paea jersey, too. The players get new jerseys for almost every game.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Likely would use...Ought to use:

Jets: Gang Green...Overpromising since 1970.

Bills: Billieve...Where's my helmet?

Dolphins: Fins Up!...Hey, Remember Ace Ventura?

Patriots: (No idea)...Our QB is cuter than yours.

Browns: The Dawgpound...Where #1 picks go to die.

Bengals: Who dey?... Who dey got arrested this time?

Steelers: The Steel Curtain...Ok, who just grabbed my ass?

Ravens: Nevermore...Still trying to forget the Vinny T. years.

Chiefs: Sea of Red...Who own the Chiefs? (Sorry, had to use the Slapshot reference.)

Raiders: Commitment to Excellence...Commitment to Irrelevance

Broncos: Orange Crush...Te-bowing out of the playoffs

Chargers: Supercharger...Potential > Results

Colts: Rev' Up, Colts!...Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?

Texans: Don't Mess with Texans... Not the cowboys, the other ones.

Jags: Teal on the Rise... Hello, anyone here?

Titans: (no idea)...Flaming Thumbtacks Unite!

Giants: Big Blue Wrecking Crew...Suck it, Belichek!

Eagles: Fly, Eagles, Fly!... Hey Santa, You suck!

Cowboys: America's Team... At least the cheerleaders are hot.

Redskins: Fight for ol' DC... Hype for ol' FA's

Bears: Bear Down... Da Bears! Sassages!

Packers: Go Pack Go!... You put a seal here and a seal here.

Vikings: Skol Vikings!... What the hey dere is going on dere?

Lions: (no idea)... Keep firing Millen, I think it's working.

Saints: Who dat?... There's no D in team.

Falcons: Rise Up... Not relavant since 1960.

Panthers: (no idea)... Not relevant, period.

Buccaneers: Fire dem cannons!... Gargh!

Rams: (no idea)... California Girls

49ers: Gold Rush... Still better than the Cowboys.

Seahawks: The 12th Man... Rockin' the unitard against all better judgement

Cardinals: (no idea).... We are who they thought they were.

I would recommend a career in I.T. or investment management or something. Anything other than comedian.

In 2011. "CrazyAnna" actually raises an interesting point. Most modern NFL memorials are limited to useless (i.e. unmarketable) helmet stickers or the very rare jersey patch. A patch can be purchased for $5.99. If you move the memorial to the inside of the collar, it's yet another jersey that the collector needs to have. Death is area were teams have failed to profit... possibly until now.

Couldn't they just sell the authentic jerseys with memorial patches?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

But you could just end up purchasing the patch for around $15 instead of dishing out $250 for the jersey. If it's stitched inside the collar, a collector would have no choice but to make the big purchase. As "BringBackTheVet" mentioned in a previous post, it's both wrong and genius at the same time.

But you could just end up purchasing the patch for around $15 instead of dishing out $250 for the jersey. If it's stitched inside the collar, a collector would have no choice but to make the big purchase. As "BringBackTheVet" mentioned in a previous post, it's both wrong and genius at the same time.

But the whole point for a memorial is that people actually see the memorial patch during the game. Putting the memorial on the inside of the collar would defeat that purpose. I think a much more likely way for teams to cash in on something like this would be to just print up jerseys with the special patches on them. I'm actually surprised that they haven't started doing this for teams like the Patriots this year that wore a memorial patch the entire season. I think they reason they don't is that they probably think they'd get less sales because most people wouldn't want a one season patch on their jersey, but if they sold one with and one without they could cash in on both types of jersey buyers.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

But the whole point for a memorial is that people actually see the memorial patch during the game. Putting the memorial on the inside of the collar would defeat that purpose. I think a much more likely way for teams to cash in on something like this would be to just print up jerseys with the special patches on them. I'm actually surprised that they haven't started doing this for teams like the Patriots this year that wore a memorial patch the entire season. I think they reason they don't is that they probably think they'd get less sales because most people wouldn't want a one season patch on their jersey, but if they sold one with and one without they could cash in on both types of jersey buyers.

Ah, such naivety. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for a marketer to turn a memorial into an opportunity to move more gear. Special edition jerseys with RIP SO-AND-SO inside the collar, special ring-of-honor tribute inscriptions when a team honors someone, etc. It wouldn't be at all beyond possibility for a team to wear 16 different jerseys a year. Keep in mind I don't think that would actually happen, but putting stuff inside the collar at least opens the door for teams to have different jerseys without actually having different jerseys.

Ah, such naivety. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility for a marketer to turn a memorial into an opportunity to move more gear. Special edition jerseys with RIP SO-AND-SO inside the collar, special ring-of-honor tribute inscriptions when a team honors someone, etc. It wouldn't be at all beyond possibility for a team to wear 16 different jerseys a year. Keep in mind I don't think that would actually happen, but putting stuff inside the collar at least opens the door for teams to have different jerseys without actually having different jerseys.

Okay, but as he said, jerseys with memorial patches haven't been mass sold to this point. And if manufacturers didn't think fans would buy new jerseys just to have the patch on the chest, why would they buy new jerseys just to have a tiny, subtle catch phrase inside the collar where people don't see it?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Okay, but as he said, jerseys with memorial patches haven't been mass sold to this point. And if manufacturers didn't think fans would buy new jerseys just to have the patch on the chest, why would they buy new jerseys just to have a tiny, subtle catch phrase inside the collar where people don't see it?

The way I see it (and I'm not a collector - hell, I don't even buy jerseys) a patch is an add on and doesn't really make it a different jersey. I can buy a patch and sew it on an existing jersey, or just have a patch collection separate from my jersey collection.

Archived