The Rockies Stirrup Movement - Part 1

jake22

So, I have an ambitious goal. To get the Colorado Rockies to wear a pair (maybe two) of some beautiful striped stirrups. I am going to the game next Saturday, as well as many more in the near future. I plan to attempt to talk with players, equipment managers, and anyone else with power. I plan on proposing they wear a black pair with purple and white stripes, and possibly a purple pair with black and white stripes too. I want to tell them about the Rays lucky pair that helps them on winning streaks, and also about the Cards. So the help that I need from you guys is to help me get as much info as possible about stripped stirrups in modern baseball as possible, including other teams that have worn them, and all the info about the Rays and Cards, as well as anything else that may or may not be helpful, this could include concepts but I think I pretty much know what I want them too look like, but I would be open to ideas.

Wish me luck!

Jake

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to need lots of luck unless you are the owner's kid.

The equipment manager already knows about the Rays' and Cardinals' stirrups. The players probably know about them too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

You're making three big assumptions:

1) Jamie Moyer likes wearing stirrups

2) Jamie Moyer likes your idea

3) Jamie Moyer will tell others about your idea

No offense, but I think you'd have better chances of being an astronaut than starting a movement that will force the Rockies to adopt stirrups.

Yes. Let's get every team to join the Cardinals and now Rays in wearing the same striped stirrups. Then everyone will look unique in the same way. Let the movement begin!!

Wow, way to be a douche to everyone that posts on the forum. Nice job, Mr. Bisordi!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Yes. Let's get every team to join the Cardinals and now Rays in wearing the same striped stirrups. Then everyone will look unique in the same way. Let the movement begin!!

Wow, way to be a douche to everyone that posts on the forum. Nice job, Mr. Bisordi!

Ok. I'm not even going to get into it.

Odder things have happened. I say go for it. It might work, it might not but at least you get the potential to talk to a few players, get some autographs, etc...

Also, Mockba...where is that damn like button? Very nicely played.

You're making three big assumptions:

1) Jamie Moyer likes wearing stirrups

2) Jamie Moyer likes your idea

3) Jamie Moyer will tell others about your idea

No offense, but I think you'd have better chances of being an astronaut than starting a movement that will force the Rockies to adopt stirrups.

Moyer has always worn stirrups, so he's 1/3 of the way there. I think you'd have a shot with Moyer (maybe 25% chance he is willing to try it).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I was fully expecting this to be another "I started a petition" thread, so I am pleasantly surprised.

Good luck, Jake. I think your best bet is to find some stirrups like the ones you want them to wear, buy as many as you can afford and do the following: Wear a pair to the game to get some fans interested, put an actual pair or draw one on a large, legible sign with as few words as possible (WEAR STIRRUPS would work & maybe create and add a relevant Twitter handle) and finally, if you truly believe you'll have access to players, coaches, etc., bring some pairs to give to them. Rich people love free stuff. In short, you'll only have a few moments to talk, but the right visuals could make an impression/start a movement.

I have no idea if this is good advice, but I like your guerrilla approach and am just tired enough to type out crazy ideas and hit "post." Petitions don't work, at least not for this kind of stuff.

I really don't think it's as outrageously farfetched as you're making it out to be; while a single fan speaking to a player or equipment manager won't likely lead to action I could definitely see a group of persistent fans influencing this sort of thing.

From an aesthetics standpoint, I think it's a bad idea. Striped stirrups clash with pinstriped pants, and IMO a team shouldn't have one style of stirrup for home use and one for away (different colors are OK, though I don't even really like that.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm just curious as to who you are that you plan on talking to players and the equipment manager? If you're an average fan with no connections that may be pretty tough, even if you get there really early etc. I do admire your zeal though, and I'm all for this movement. You might try starting an online petition, as it seems like that's the way most every trend is started today

I really don't think it's as outrageously farfetched as you're making it out to be; while a single fan speaking to a player or equipment manager won't likely lead to action I could definitely see a group of persistent fans influencing this sort of thing.

While I applaud Jake's ambition, I really don't think my assessment is wrong. I'm being realistic and not giving him any false hope. One casual fan has little to no say, no matter who he talks to, and comments given to players usually go in one ear and out the other while they smile to please. Players aren't known to say "Oh, man, that's a great idea about stirrups...let me go get the equipment manager so we can order a crapload of them!!"

If it works, great! I'm just a bit more cynical in this era of professional sports.

McCall, I didn't take offense to what you said, but to answer the point you brought up, no I just want them to wear stripped stirrups in general, they don't necessarily have to look like the cards and rays, although that is a nice design and the one I based the following rendering off of.

CubsFanBudMan, thanks for the ideas, I actually was considering ordering some custom pairs and just giving them to some willing players. In fact I think that, along with all my original strategies, I'm going to follow most of your advice. I mean it can't hurt to try everything possible, even if the chances are small. By the way, does anyone know of a place where I can order individual pairs or custom stirrups?

The ideas I had in mind would look something like this.

Blackstirrups.png

purplestirrups.png

Also the Rockies are known for their loyal fan base and the managements willingness to embrace the fans, every year the team does commercials with fans in them, this season is even "the year of the fan". I also remember reading some article awhile back about the top 10 professional clubs that give the most back to their fans, and the Rockies were in the top 5. So I think I have a shot, and hey, if it doesn't work i will have fun trying!

McCall, I didn't take offense to what you said, but to answer the point you brought up, no I just want them to wear stripped stirrups in general, they don't necessarily have to look like the cards and rays, although that is a nice design and the one I based the following rendering off of.

CubsFanBudMan, thanks for the ideas, I actually was considering ordering some custom pairs and just giving them to some willing players. In fact I think that, along with all my original strategies, I'm going to follow most of your advice. I mean it can't hurt to try everything possible, even if the chances are small. By the way, does anyone know of a place where I can order individual pairs or custom stirrups?

The ideas I had in mind would look something like this.

Blackstirrups.png

purplestirrups.png

Also the Rockies are known for their loyal fan base and the managements willingness to embrace the fans, every year the team does commercials with fans in them, this season is even "the year of the fan". I also remember reading some article awhile back about the top 10 professional clubs that give the most back to their fans, and the Rockies were in the top 5. So I think I have a shot, and hey, if it doesn't work i will have fun trying!

I dig the purple 'rups!

As someone who just just got two new pairs of stirrups to wear to Indians games, I'm on board with this grassroots movement. If you're looking for a name or a Twitter handle, why not combine stirrups & Rockies into Stirrox, or something like that.

Those stirrups look horrible with the pinstriped pants. The pinstripe is the "eye catching" thing on the uniform - no need to add a second attention-grabber.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived