2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the Yankees are happily the opposite of flashy, but now that that's out of the way,

Sorry for not being more precise. The logo and wordmark aren't flashy per se, but the team's *brand* certainly is. Glittery stars, matinee idols, etc. It's not just that they've been successful - the Celtics, for example, have been similarly dominant in their respective sport, too - it's that they've been flashy and successful. Yankee players have been dating starlets and living large since the '30s - and Steinbrenner defined the bombastic, celebrity owner archetype that Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban dutifully follow. There's no team in baseball with a more "celebrity"-centric brand than theirs.

Moreover, the Yankees were the first team to put out fashion hats in random, non-team colors (at least, to my recollection). I don't know if that was the Yankees' decision or MLB's licensing arm, but it was a pretty gaudy thing to do. Anyway, I digress. Back on topic. :)

Yes, the point of the article is that the Nets have couched themselves in their city's "brand." What the article misses or willfully omits is that their doing so is intrinsically pernicious in a way that, say, the Steelers being "blue-collar" isn't.

I don't see what's so pernicious about what they did. It seems as if your beef is more with the demographic shift in Brooklyn (and the economic and cultural ramifications driving it and resulting from it). That's fine, but I don't see how the Nets are culpable for being cognizant of that shift when developing their strategy.

The Nets could have followed the Wizards, Jazz, Sixers, and Warriors' examples, and trotted out a modernized version of the New York Nets' ABA unis (we saw many such mock-ups here on the board). They could hae gone with a fairly generic sports marketing push (e.g., "All In." "New City. New Attitude." etc.). And that would have been a missed opportunity.

Now, I suppose that eventually, the team will forge its own identity organically, based on the personality of the players and front office. But for now: what would you have had them do?

The NBA is the only real league to promote players like this. It creates them tons of money.

Well really basketball is one of the only sports, IMO, that a singular player can really take over a game and make a team, so why not advertise your superstar playmaker?

A couple of redunancies and a couple I don't see the connection too. But yeah, as someone mentioned, everyone involved has admitted this was a quick throw together on short notice. We're told the eventual US version will be modified and we'll see new models for him soon, as well.

Has anyone heard anything about White Hot Heat jerseys they'll be wearing this year? They have a behind the scenes, sneak peak of an intro video the filmed for when they wear them up on their website. They're the exact opposite of the black ones they wore last season.

That's going to give them a ton of options this season:

White

Black

Red

Winter Court Red

90s Red

White Hot

I thought they had a lot last season with the Floridians and all-blacks, basically the same plus the Winter Court this season.

^^^^

They'll wear white when the season starts. FYI teams can't wear coloured jerseys at home unless they had them before the white jerseys at home rule was implemented (Lakers).

You are half right. Anybody can wear dark jerseys at home, and most teams probably do it at least once a year. That is dumb and should be outlawed. The rule says that no team (other than the Lakers) can wear a colored jersey as their home jersey (while the other team wears dark). So the Suns can wear their atrocious orange jerseys at home, but the other team will have to wear white.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

^^^^

They'll wear white when the season starts. FYI teams can't wear coloured jerseys at home unless they had them before the white jerseys at home rule was implemented (Lakers).

You are half right. Anybody can wear dark jerseys at home, and most teams probably do it at least once a year. That is dumb and should be outlawed. The rule says that no team (other than the Lakers) can wear a colored jersey as their home jersey (while the other team wears dark). So the Suns can wear their atrocious orange jerseys at home, but the other team will have to wear white.

Certain teams use their light alternates as home jerseys - the Hornets' yellow alt is mainly used at home, where the visiting team wears the usual road unis. I believe Cleveland & Golden State's upcoming yellow alts will be used as home jerseys, too.

Okay, so the Nets haven't been perfect with their rebrand. This item of Nets' merch feels a bit much to me. :rolleyes:

24-06098-Y.jpg

Funnily enough, that's been the shirt that all the stores keep gobbling up, presumably because all the people are gobbling it up when it gets to the stores.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived