Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could always be the Rough Rideaus... :P

Seriously, this Ottawa team name thing is quite vexing. Mostly because it's hard to come up with a good name that starts with "R" and fits in with the rest of the league's names. Nothing really seems to fit well. And then you have the problem of making it bilingual.

Personally, I wish there was something obvious that used a Beaver or a Loon as the team's logo - it just seems downright wrong that neither of those animals is associated with any of the teams in a wholly Canadian league. But there's nothing I can think of associated with those that starts with an "R" to tie in to the old Riders.

Here's a question: are they wholeheartedly dead set on tying the new brand identity into the old Rough Riders one? It would seem to be that would inhibit a truly expressive and unique identity, particularly for the nation's capital. (Granted, it'd be a heckuva challenge for whatever design group gets charged with creating the new identity to come up with something that evokes the Rough Riders without being the Rough Riders, but...still.) It just seems to this outsider that a better solution would be to break clean with status quo and go a brand new direction.

I kinda equate it to the Houston Texans in a way. Everyone knows how beloved the Oilers were in that town. Everyone also knows Bud Adams took that identity with him to Nashville. I can't remember if there was ever any kind of push for a Cleveland Deal in Houston to get that identity back...but eventually they ended up coming up with something all-new and distinctive—and immediately evocative of Texas (well obviously).

I realize this and the Ottawa situation aren't entirely similar, but if it worked for Houston and the Texans, why wouldn't it work for the new Ottawa team?

(By the way, I can already see an awesome identity being borne out of theit Redcoats moniker.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Personally, I wish there was something obvious that used a Beaver or a Loon as the team's logo - it just seems downright wrong that neither of those animals is associated with any of the teams in a wholly Canadian league.

The things you learn from reading through the GDCCSLC. :P Fry me if you wish, but up until I saw that snippet I had no idea the beaver was a Canadian national symbol. Let's just say I've just spent the past half-hour educating myself on that. Good info—and now I myself am curious as to how no beaver-related imagery has made it into the Canadian capital's sports-related imagery over the years—not that I can recall, anyway.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Here's a question: are they wholeheartedly dead set on tying the new brand identity into the old Rough Riders one?

I don't think they are, honestly. I'm not even sure if they're married to the idea of a name that starts with R.

(By the way, I can already see an awesome identity being borne out of theit Redcoats moniker.)

Of all the R names, that one's probably the best.

Maybe the connotation of a "Redcoat" in Canada is different, but my first impression on hearing that is "the guys who got beaten by a ragtag bunch of colonists in the 1770s". Not exactly a proud association there.

Those redcoats also successfully repulsed two American invasions of Canada (one during the American Revolution, the second being the War of 1812).

Also keep in mind that Canada's still a realm of the Commonwealth, and thus the term "redcoats" has a less antagonistic connotation up here.

Maybe the connotation of a "Redcoat" in Canada is different, but my first impression on hearing that is "the guys who got beaten by a ragtag bunch of colonists in the 1770s". Not exactly a proud association there.

Those redcoats also successfully repulsed two American invasions of Canada (one during the American Revolution, the second being the War of 1812).

Also keep in mind that Canada's still a realm of the Commonwealth, and thus the term "redcoats" has a less antagonistic connotation up here.

Fair enough. Don't know how exciting Redcoats is, though. I would imagine to be marketable, the name would have to be something at least somewhat exciting/engaging.

I always liked the fact that the Cleveland Browns were named after a person (Paul Brown). It might be an opportunity to try something like that with the new Ottawa CFL franchise. The Ottawa RJ’s (Russ Jackson), or The Ottawa Gabriels (Tony Gabriel) come to mind.

The things you learn from reading through the GDCCSLC. :P Fry me if you wish, but up until I saw that snippet I had no idea the beaver was a Canadian national symbol. Let's just say I've just spent the past half-hour educating myself on that. Good info—and now I myself am curious as to how no beaver-related imagery has made it into the Canadian capital's sports-related imagery over the years—not that I can recall, anyway.

Not Ottawa, but there used to be a major-junior team in the Eastern Townships called the Sherbrooke Castors. The logo was a hockey-playing beaver.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ok so on Yahoos' Bleacher Report webpage... Jeff Hunt has narrowed it down to 5 possible names [in which he didn't say what they were], with the name Rush being the front runner. I can't see Rush as a good nickname. Here are some more suggestions I thought of....

Rovers (like a wanderer, not as in a dog or pirate)

Remparts

Retailiators

Regulators and River Jacks in can see, which if someone could explain what it is, I looked it up and it mentioned that of a snake (eww!!!).

The River Jacks name refers to Ottawa's history in the timber trade. After lumberjacks cut down trees they would assemble them into rafts and ride them down the Ottawa River. Some have said this is where the Rough Riders name came from. IMO they should use a name with river in it (Riverjacks, Rivermen, etc.). It allows them to bring back the R on the helmets, has a good connection to the region, and is unique while still sounding professional.

Ok so on Yahoos' Bleacher Report webpage... Jeff Hunt has narrowed it down to 5 possible names [in which he didn't say what they were], with the name Rush being the front runner. I can't see Rush as a good nickname. Here are some more suggestions I thought of....

Rovers (like a wanderer, not as in a dog or pirate)

Remparts

Retailiators

Regulators and River Jacks in can see, which if someone could explain what it is, I looked it up and it mentioned that of a snake (eww!!!).

The River Jacks name refers to Ottawa's history in the timber trade. After lumberjacks cut down trees they would assemble them into rafts and ride them down the Ottawa River. Some have said this is where the Rough Riders name came from. IMO they should use a name with river in it (Riverjacks, Rivermen, etc.). It allows them to bring back the R on the helmets, has a good connection to the region, and is unique while still sounding professional.

The Regulators name refers to any stealing of property—damn good, too. But you can't be any geek off the street...you gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep. This isn't necessarily where the name Ruff Ryders came from, but it would allow them to use a (double) R on their helmets.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Redcoats would be appropriate because of the color of jackets the Parliament Guards wear. Also because Canada is still part of Commonwealth. You could use a Parliament Guard as basis for the logo.

Riverjacks, Rideaus, are good choices. There is another rumor going around on the net that Rebels is the frontrunning name for the team but that's debatable and not creditable either.

Archived