Iowa Wild Idea

wloowarrior22

So being from Iowa, I was excited to see we got professional hockey back. While I don't like that they just adopted the wild moniker, I think they could of got a little creative with it.

My idea, since we really don't have much of a bear population, and with the previous team the "Chops" paying homage to the Iowa Pork Producers, I thought modifying the logo to a hog would give the team a little flair.

This is my first draft and is very rough, I don't like the barn or silo, and want to do rows of corn, but really can't figure out how to make that look right.

C&C welcome

iowawild_zps4ab97007.png

The idea is there, the execution could use some work. The integration of the forest scene & bear head on the original wild logo was seamless. Here it feels forced, especially around the eye & mouth. I think this idea has promise though... definitely more original than that "Wild" script they came up with...

It's too bad the team wasn't named the Iowa Wild Boars. This would be a good look for them.

Maybe there's some symbolism you could work into the logo instead of having the farm backdrop? The North Star is there in the Minnesota Wild logo because it's known as the North Star state. Is there anything Iowa-specific you could add to this?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The problem with the farm thing is that farms are the exact opposite of wild...but this is an awesome start even with my anal retentiveness.

Which is why Wild is a stupid name.

Iowa Rural

Iowa Farm

Iowa Pastoral

Iowa Agriculture

Iowa Flat

Iowa Tame

Even these 'more fitting' names are dumb.

No matter what way you slice it the Wild's naming convention just doesn't work. Even for Minnesota. It sounds like some rec league women's softball team name.

The problem with the farm thing is that farms are the exact opposite of wild...but this is an awesome start even with my anal retentiveness.

Which is why Wild is a stupid name.

Iowa Rural

Iowa Farm

Iowa Pastoral

Iowa Agriculture

Iowa Flat

Iowa Tame

Even these 'more fitting' names are dumb.

No matter what way you slice it the Wild's naming convention just doesn't work. Even for Minnesota. It sounds like some rec league women's softball team name.

I agree with you on the fact that the Wild name is dumb, but that's not on wloowarrior. He's kind of stuck with the Iowa Wild concept, and while I like this a lot more than a simple wordmark, the concept itself makes no sense.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

i don't even buy "wild" as a noun. yes, it's a short form of wilderness, but it's also the root word of wilderness, and an adjective.

You go out into the wild. It's a noun. It just doesn't work as a team name--despite the fact it spawned one of the most ingenious logos ever.

rATMcmK.png

i don't even buy "wild" as a noun. yes, it's a short form of wilderness, but it's also the root word of wilderness, and an adjective.

I'm the opposite, I think the very fact it's short for either "wilds" or "wilderness" is why it works. It evokes Minnesota, a state that has a lot of open forest and also describes that hockey is a "wild" sport.

Not the greatest name around, but I've always felt it's quite original.

I'm the opposite, I think the very fact it's short for either "wilds" or "wilderness" is why it works. It evokes Minnesota, a state that has a lot of open forest and also describes that hockey is a "wild" sport.

Not the greatest name around, but I've always felt it's quite original.

It just doesn't work as a sports team name. Avalanche to me barely passes, but Wild? blegh.

Nice job on the logo. The lake could be narrower though, as that looks more like a large rock.

I can't believe we won't see the Houston Aeros anymore, and this is what we get to see? The whole Iowa Wild concept is rushed and really dull.

I'm not a fan of having AHL teams being named the same as their NHL parent. It works for some, but I like for teams, no matter what league, to have their very own identity. But that's just me.

VHj90kn.png

Archived