Chris Kluwe: "Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot"

CS85

I'm guessing what he said is almost 100% true. If there are no lawsuits against him that would only cement it as such.

The problem is that it was said by Chris Kluwe, who could probably write a weekly Deadspin piece on the hardships of trying to play World of Warcraft as a professional football player. The transparency and deftness with which he allows himself to be a public figure via social media are a double-edged sword - he's not afraid to speak up on issues, but he sometimes doesn't know when to stop.

Is what he argued for excellent and is Priefer a bigot? Absolutely, but because it's Kluwe we're hearing it from, where does the desire to expose an ugly situation begin and a self-righteous act of sour grapes end?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, it's one man's word against another's. I had never heard of Mike Priefer before this story broke. I have no alterier motive in defending him. Just the fact that the only "evidence" of his bigotry is Chris Kluwe's own statements. And I'm going to need more then "Chris Kluwe said so" if I'm going to brand a man a disgusting excuse of a human being.

Obviously you're right, but It seems like a very specific thing to make up though. If he said that he made "homophobic statements all the time" or something vague like that, then in the absence of any witnesses it could be summarily dismissed. That just seems like too specific a quote.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I see that Chris Kluwe has written a book, entitled Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies, available wherever books are sold. I don't know what the title means, but it sounds like a play on the "special snowflakes" pejorative that they use on reddit for perceived race-traitors, gender-traitors, and other such acts of e-treason, just even more sneering and annoying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

At some point, he did a rewrite of the letter replacing the profanity with silly gibberish. I believe "beautifully unique sparklepony" is what he called Senator Burns in place of whatever profanity he'd called him in the fist draft. I don't know what it means (nothing, I suspect), but I think it's a leap to assume it is a play on that.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

If Priefer's anti-gay words in the picture are true, this shows cause for wrongful termination on the Vikings part: Kluwe cut because his support of Marriage Equality differ from those of a superior, and said superior cut him for it.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Obviously you're right, but It seems like a very specific thing to make up though. If he said that he made "homophobic statements all the time" or something vague like that, then in the absence of any witnesses it could be summarily dismissed. That just seems like too specific a quote.

All very true. And if Priefer doesn't come out and sue Kluwe for liable it'll strengthen Kluwe's accusations. Here's what makes me a bit skeptical despite the specificity of Kluwe's comments.

Lack of any other collaborating evidence is obvious. It also seems that Priefer wanted him gone for football-related reasons. Which, of course, makes sour grapes a viable possibility. At least until more evidence supporting Kluwe's accusations come to light.

Kluwe also covered up a game patch in favor of making a personal appeal to get Ray Guy into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and was fined for a uniform violation.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1221164

That act didn't make that special teams coach happy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/14/chris-kluwe-draws-ire-of-special-teams-coach-for-distractions/

When you are a marginal employee, regardless of vocation, and constantly voice your opinions publicly, your employer will always worry about what you may say or do "next".

Priefer should bow at Ray Guy's feet! The man revolutionized the position of punter. Before him, a regular position player did most of the punting, and kicking. Without Guy and others, Priefer wouldn't have a J-O-B!!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Whether or not Guy deserves to be in the HOF, Kluwe found the wrong way to lobby for it and it is probably part of a large ball of reasons for him to be cut.

All very true. And if Priefer doesn't come out and sue Kluwe for liable it'll strengthen Kluwe's accusations. Here's what makes me a bit skeptical despite the specificity of Kluwe's comments.
Lack of any other collaborating evidence is obvious. It also seems that Priefer wanted him gone for football-related reasons. Which, of course, makes sour grapes a viable possibility. At least until more evidence supporting Kluwe's accusations come to light.

The lack of corroborating evidence does not do much for me. If I was a special teams player, I would not say anything about Priefer either. Most special teams players are quite expendable. Locker room gay bashing is probably as protected as teammates extra-marital affairs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This went beyond gay-bashing. I mean, this isn't just saying "you're playing like a bunch of girls out there," which, because NFL teams do not employ Gothamite to say "oh, tut-tut, old chap, attack the play, not the player," probably happens all the time with little consequence. This is a guy devoting wayyyy too much thought to hating gay people (and way too much nuclear energy, if he had the wherewithal). I wouldn't want some guy worrying about blowing up a gay island when he's supposed to be worried about coaching. Especially when the team sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The lack of corroborating evidence does not do much for me. If I was a special teams player, I would not say anything about Priefer either. Most special teams players are quite expendable. Locker room gay bashing is probably as protected as teammates extra-marital affairs.

Probably true. Doesn't change the fact that this essentially boils down to one man's word against another man's word. "He said"/"he said" isn't proof of anything.

Thing is there seems to be two conversations going on in this thread. The secondary one seems to be about Chris Kluwe himself. I like the guy, even if he does go about getting his point across in a loud, turn-offish way. I genuinely admire what he's done for the LGBT rights cause, even if his method of delivery leaves something to be desired.

All that being said, his personal word isn't enough to condemn a man's career and character. I'm not saying Chris Kluwe is a bad guy or anything. I just want to see something significant collaborate his claims.

I just can't get worked up about this. I hate the guy's guts if the allegations are true, but there's absolutely no convincing evidence either way. I'd say it's likely that there never will be.

Like I said last year, it's all good when a basketball player announces that he's openly gay, but it'll ultimately have to be a football player to come out and support the LGBT cause for American sports fans to have differentiating opinions on the issue. And should this story hold true, this just proves how difficult it really is for someone representing any level of American football (NFL, NCAAF, high school and pee-wee) to be open about gay rights.

Agreed, Ice_Cap - there are two conversations here. One is whether Klewe was cut because of his activism, and the other whether the Vikings harbor at least one homophobic bigot.

As to the second, I really hope not. But Klewe's accusation is serious enough that a full investigation has to be made.

As to the first, I'm quite sure that his activism contributed to the decision to drop him. Corporations as a whole don't appreciate activist employees, and given their first chance to cut him I'm sure they took it. But I don't have a problem with it; it's well within their rights. Just as A&E were will within their rights to suspend (or sadly, not) their homophobic pedophile when his words surfaced.

I don't doubt that his activism was a contributing factor. I'm just curious as to the context.

Did the Vikings disagree with his position?

Did they want to appear neutral on a divisive issue?

Did they feel his activism took away from his on-field performance?

Like I said last year, it's all good when a basketball player announces that he's openly gay, but it'll ultimately have to be a football player to come out and support the LGBT cause for American sports fans to have differentiating opinions on the issue. And should this story hold true, this just proves how difficult it really is for someone representing any level of American football (NFL, NCAAF, high school and pee-wee) to be open about gay rights.

But there is a reason for this thought, football is larger in red states (for the most part).

Anyway, if the guys being a bigot, f :censored: ck him, but if he's not..eh. I mean, it would make Kluwe look like a liar, but I wouldn't care.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Agreed, Ice_Cap - there are two conversations here. One is whether Klewe was cut because of his activism, and the other whether the Vikings harbor at least one homophobic bigot.

As to the second, I really hope not. But Klewe's accusation is serious enough that a full investigation has to be made.

As to the first, I'm quite sure that his activism contributed to the decision to drop him. Corporations as a whole don't appreciate activist employees, and given their first chance to cut him I'm sure they took it. But I don't have a problem with it; it's well within their rights. Just as A&E were will within their rights to suspend (or sadly, not) their homophobic pedophile when his words surfaced.

Huh? I must've missed that part.

EDIT- This was my 1,000th post. Yippee.

Archived