Austin Armadillos - Expansion MLB

ryanheape

Hi guys, I've lurked for a long time/posted under a different username I lost the password for a long time ago. But I wanted to share a rough concept I created for my portfolio to get your opinion and criticism on.

It's for the Austin Armadillos, an expansion MLB franchise (let's say NL--three AL teams in Texas would be a headache for everyone). The name is fairly obvious: armadillos are everywhere in central Texas and it's one of the state's most popular symbols. But what sold me on it initially was the link to the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, a rock venue in the 70s that was the cradle for what became the Live Music Capitol of the World.

I modified what is an excellent template created by BrandMooreArt for the uniforms. I appreciate any notes or criticism!

armadillos-board1-01_zpsf57c745e.jpg
armadillos-board1-02_zpsc374298b.jpg
armadillos-board1-03_zps68a943c6.jpg
armadillos-board1-04_zpscd0e0c8e.jpg
armadillos-board1-05_zpse86b2c8e.jpg

This is an excellent concept. Nice and clean and well thought out. The only thing I think could use some work is the cap logo. The Atx just isn't doing it for me. It's a little too plain. Other than great job!

Agreed with this. I would try and do something with the Armadillo scales for the cap logo, instead of a lettering.

With a name like Armadillo Im surprised you went with such a boring color scheme. Did you try out any other schemes that might represent Austin a bit better?

Love this. The name is very good, the wordmark stylish, the colors excellent, they really mix together. The simplified armadillo is a perfect logo, it's very well stylized. The uniforms are also simple, and your choice of "What should the color of this be?" is good. I would get rid of the shoulder patch however, use the a less, and come up with a armadillo alternate logo.

The uniforms are perfect. Great script, good colors, excellent. The primary logo is pretty good. Simple but classy for a pro team. But the alt logo is too plain. Maybe add an outline or more letters.

What you got going on here works well. Your wordmarks are great and I rely like the cap insignias, especially the road "Atx". The only thing I would suggest is adding an eye to the armadillo, right now it kind of reminds me of roadkill. Keep up the good work.

lQ3OFsP.png

I like this. It has a retro look about it, like the Armadillos could have existed in the 60s or 70s and moved elsewhere. Very cool.

mainescarf.png

Scripts are wonderful and the jerseys are great. Like the logos, think the alternate is spot on. I'd like to see the A from the script used maybe on an alternate cap. Other than that, amazing work!

GZt8H04.jpg?1?2136

I really like the concept overall, but I personally think you should add some brown (Or tan) in their color scheme to make them less "plain" and so they can stand out more against the dozens of red and black (Or red and navy) teams out there. Armadillos are brown, so maybe utilize some even in just the piping. Could make them pop more. I like this a lot though. Good work.

I really like the concept overall, but I personally think you should add some brown (Or tan) in their color scheme to make them less "plain" and so they can stand out more against the dozens of red and black (Or red and navy) teams out there. Armadillos are brown, so maybe utilize some even in just the piping. Could make them pop more. I like this a lot though. Good work.

I second this.

Perhaps use a tan-tinged grey for the road jersey.

Great overall. I especially like the depiction of the armadillo.

Not a fan of the hat logo, though. The font of the A reminds me too much of the font of the M for the Marlins, so it makes your idea feel a bit less original. Also, the "tx", for me, is really throwing off the balance of the logo, doesn't "feel" very baseball, and kind of looks like an afterthought.

rATMcmK.png

I like the fonts you're using a lot. But that armadillo definitely looks dead. Maybe if its feet were planted on the ground it'd look more lively.

I agree. The name is great. Try to integrate the armadillo graphic with the wordmark. They look completely separate.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived