Uniform looks and identities that you miss in sports

Tigers6884

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Red Sox look:

<photo snip>

That is classic.

am i missing something or isn't this pretty much the same uniform they have today

<photo snip>

Compare the piping on the sleeves and placket. Also, those stirrups. :wub:

. . . and the navy undershirt. They wear red ones now.

BDD_DP_PB_bal_9.1.08_bgjb.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Do baseball jackets count as identities? If so, I miss them and would like to see them return to MLB dugouts.

BlB8VLfCAAEzMs4.jpg

Joe-Torre-Small.jpg

I don't like that Yankee jacket. Torre brought that in in 1996. For me the real Yankee jacket is this one:

billy_martin.0_standard_730.0.jpg

130513161846-1984-yogi-berra-george-stei

I'd like to see the Yankees bring that back. Likewise, the Mets should bring back this jacket:

davey-johnson-mets.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Just for the NBA:

1. Bring back our Sonics
kevindurantseattle.jpg

2. Keep purple in the Raptors identity (even if it's only used as trim) instead of just another red and black sports team

tracymcgrady5.jpg

3. AI-era badass 76ers unis instead of the generic red, white, and blue they have now

LarryBrownSixers2pg-vertical.jpg

* as a sidenote, I wouldn't be surprised if the colors of those 76ers unis (white, red, and black with gold trim) become the new Raptors identity
130329005705-allen-iverson-single-image-

4. Grey alts for the Nets (even if you have to trade out the red, white, and blue for black and white)
JKidd%20Nets.jpg

5. Vancouver Grizzlies style unis for Memphis (even if this will never happen because Memphis wants their own look, Vancouver did Grizzlies much better)

jwilliams300w.jpg

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

tony-gwynn-80s.jpg

I really did like the Padres look here as well

Now THAT is a Padres look I can get behind. Not that ugly Taco Bell crap everyone else here seems to love :P

I dig the pinstripes and the interlocking letters logo from this uniform. I personally would replace the orange with yellow or gold, to differentiate them a little more from division rivals, the Giants.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Drexel-era Blazers

Clyde_Drexler.jpg

Sweet look. I dig the uniforms, colors, wordmark, and logo.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Here's some of my uniforms and identities that I miss in sports:

1. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: For anyone who was born in the late 80's and early 90's, the Mighty Ducks was an unmistakable identity that helped spurred growth in the NHL. They're one of my all-time favorite identities in sports from the unique color scheme (eggplant and jade) to the classic hockey mask logo (which is currently on the alts). But what made this identity so special is how recognizable the look is to a non-hockey fan. Even though I don't watch much hockey, I still know that's the old Mighty Ducks logo because of the movies and TV show. If it's one identity I want back right now in any sport, it's the Mighty Ducks and it's not even close.
  2. Old Tampa Bay Devil Rays uniform (1998-2000): For some odd reason, I have a huge soft spot with these uniforms. :wub: It might be that there is some serious nostalgia in watching Wade Boggs' 3000th hit or the fact that I have a snapback of the cap they wore at the time. I know most prefer the look from 2001-2007 but this is better than those uniforms for the simple reason that it has a uniquely "Florida" feel with the gradients. The only thing I would change is remove the "devil" off the uniforms change the gradients to match the current color scheme (from Navy to Columbia Blue to Yellow), and change the cap to Navy. If they could do that, The Rays would look a billion times better while retaining their unique color scheme.
  3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: I'm not the first and definitely the last to say it, but the old look was light-years better than the current. I seriously don't know why they changed from one of the best looks in NFL history to one of the worst ever. Pewter and Red was truly a unique color combo and that helmet is awesome.
  4. San Diego Padres: Brown and Yellow is the way to go my friend. Currently, the Padres look like the poor man's New York Yankees outside of the pinstripes and is so boring to look at. Plus, many fans remember this look during the days of Dave Winfield and Goose Gossage. I mean if the Blue Jays can go back to a retro-esque look, so can the Padres
  5. Old Florida Marlins: I love the amount of teal in the uniforms and reminded me of the 1997 World Series. But my favorite uniforms is the inaugural road uniforms they wore. :wub:

I agree with all these picks, even though I'm probably one of the few who like the Miami Marlins' looks.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Wouldn't it be crazy if the Anaheim Ducks brought back the “Wildwing" uniform for just one more night next season? I know everyone (except for me, because I'm that weird) hated them, but I think it'd be cool to see how they would look on high-definition televisions.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

Oh and also, this was such a cool/unique look imo. Does anyone know why they decided to stop using these?

5038983970_c84069efca_z.jpg

There's nothing cool about that look. It's unique, but not in a good way. They stopped using it because it's horribly ugly and doesn't go with anything else in their identity.

This Red Sox look:

<photo snip>

That is classic.

am i missing something or isn't this pretty much the same uniform they have today

<photo snip>

Compare the piping on the sleeves and placket. Also, those stirrups. :wub:

. . . and the navy undershirt. They wear red ones now.

Pretty dang minor differences if you ask me. I thought we were talking about actual lost identities, not minute stuff like width of piping and lack of stirrups.

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

Archived