New Clippers logo/identity?

Heard on a sports radio show on April 29th (either FOX Sports 570 AM or ESPN 710 AM here in Los Angeles) that the Clippers either had a new logo (or a new identity/team name) all ready to go but at the last moment Donald Sterling got cold feet and they had to scramble and go back and redo (or undo) everything. Whoever it was that was telling this story on the radio said that he had teammates (or friends, I can't remember) that saw the logo (or jersey?) that was scrapped. Have anyone heard anything about this? I went back through the podcast for several shows and over several hours but I can't find it. The 2004 NBA All Star Game was mentioned, also, and I was under the impression that it was around that time frame that the rebrand happened by I might be wrong. Also mentioned was that it's because of this (because of Sterling) that the league came up with a new law about a one-year time wait or something.

Anyone who knows anything about this or has to time to go through to podcasts more carefully than I did please reply! Thanks!

P.S. the show was heard sometime between 5pm and 7pm, but because of the Adam Silver press conference, it could've been:
(ESPN LA 710) Mason & Ireland or Max & Marcellus

(FOX Sports LA 570) Petros and Money or Ben Maller

(Correction: it was the 29th, not the 28th)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As horrible as the current Clippers logo is, this would have been even worse. With the upcoming ownership change, it would be a prime time to completely rename and rebrand the team.

Sounds like the 1993 change that got nixed at the last second.

ClippersUnusedPrimaryLogo1993.gif

ClippersUnusedSecondaryLogo1993.gif

Even though they look a bit dated, I would like them if they were used by the Clippers today, only in the Clippers current colors.

As horrible as the current Clippers logo is, this would have been even worse. With the upcoming ownership change, it would be a prime time to completely rename and rebrand the team.

We'll see what the new owner has in store, but I think that would send the absolute wrong message. Don't try to bury the past, just work to create a brighter future.

We'll see what the new owner has in store, but I think that would send the absolute wrong message. Don't try to bury the past, just work to create a brighter future.

I didn't mean it to "bury the past". I for one quite frankly think the whole thing was blown well out of proportion, and such a move purely to escape ties to that would be absolutely wrong, but the team name and identity carries very little goodwill as far as pro sports are concerned. The Clippers are one of those second class teams everyone forgets about. A new owner would have a wonderful opportunity to grow the franchise by rebranding it properly, including a new logo that doesn't look like a napkin doodle. No time like the present, even if it could be under better circumstances.

I would expect a new logo, but I don't think the name will change.

The Clippers' present and future is a lot brighter than their Staples Center mates. The days of people "forgetting" about them are in the rear view mirror.

Perhaps... But we'll see. I still question how good the Clippers' front office really is, and the Lakers do have a tendency to often rebuild fast. I think the Clippers will be the better team for the next couple of seasons, but they will never be LA's basketball team, no matter how many championships they win.

Interesting the Cavs adopted a similar identity around that time that incorporates waves and Black and Orange with teal/light blue.

As far as this logo goes, I like it but I think it would've gotten dated too soon. Especially the colors.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Didn't the Arrowhead Pond have a black, orange, and teal floor when the Clippers played some of their schedule there?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Didn't the Arrowhead Pond have a black, orange, and teal floor when the Clippers played some of their schedule there?

12108402416_ea27d96071_z.jpg

2100590.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just because a unpopular player or owner leaves does not mean you should rebrand.......Like they did in Cleveland, it just makes whoever it is, feel that more important.

Cleveland's rebranding had nothing to do with Lebron leaving - it would have been in the works long before he left.

Archived