Houston MLS Team logo leaked

totc

A bike messenger with a digital camera took a photo and posted to BigSoccer.

It looks like the Philips logo from the 1960s, the colors are orange and light blue (like Tennessee Volunteers' women's basketball), and there is a locomotive and train tracks in the logo.

I am sure this photo will be wiped out via a cease-and-desist order, so view it while you can:

1.jpg

Does this mean that the Name the Team contest is a done deal?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw all of this stuff on BigSoccer.com first.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I think it would be easy for the team to name it Houston Republic FC, Lokomotiv Houston, the Houston Express, or even the Houston Ravens (AWO being the Cherokee word for "Raven."

Man that is ugly. And if they didn't want people to see it, why did they leave it out so someone just walking in could see it?

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

It?s an amalgamation of atrocities combined to create an absolute monstrosity on so many levels. I don't like a single thing about it.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This looks like a 50's logo that someone would throw back to. And a secondary logo, at that. It would make a nice paseball patch.

Odd.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

My uneducated opinions:

The colors, fonts, and symbols used in this crest all combine to give the impression that this will be a label on the box of a Fisher-Price playset. ("Rail & Sea Adventure!")

The insertion of the year 1836 is not primarily to signify the year of independence from Mexico. It's designed to give a fake sense of historical standing, as if the club itself has been around since 1836. On first impression, it's supposed to say "Hey, look! We've been around a long time, just like those snazzy Euro clubs!" Lately it seems that every step MLS takes with their franchises is designed to emulate European soccer, and it smacks of an acute inferiority complex. Just be happy with who you are, guys, and be the best lower-tier soccer league you can be.

The Cherokee "Raven" thing. Yet another attempt to create history and tradition where there is none. I think they're hoping that the diehard soccer nuts will pick up on this and roll with it, so they can say "Our name is Houston Republic FC, but our true fans know us as 'The Ravens'." Just like they do across the pond... sigh.

I can't find a single thing thus far to like about this identity, outside of giving a couple of points for the name. Maybe. But when there's a name like Houston Apollos staring you right in the flippin' face and you stretch for this instead... blah. Oh, and I can't wait for the uniforms to be unveiled, which will no feature the ugly squished chest stripe and froo-froo side ribbons we'll be seeing on every single MLS jersey this season, because adidas wasn't going to just take a template and run roughshod over the league with it when they got the exclusive deal. <_< Of course, this time, it'll all be done in peach and baby blue. Wonderful.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm torn on it. There are things I like--I kindof dig the colours, for starters, though I hope they dont end up as another team with a black home kit. There are things I don't--the light blue looks maybe a little too light, making it and the orange look washed out when placed together; the "1836" thing is just dumb; the letters are connected in a weird way; "awo"?!

Actually, the more I look at it, the less I like it. I like the train track bit, but it bothers me that its arc doesn't match up with the circle. All in all, it looks like an interesting idea, but the execution is lacking.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I actually appreciate the fact that MLS is giving clubs a European feel. They do it right across the pond. And I think there might be a lot of Premiership fans in the U.S. who could appreciate the fact that the MLS is taking tips from a superior league.

As for the logo, it may be ugly, but I'm glad they're going for the club seal look rather than something you might see on a football helmet.

So, as a forum, which Monopoly Railroad do we refer to them from now on?

The Houston Reading RFC?

The Houston Pennsylvania RFC?

The Houston Short Line RFC?

The Houston B&O RFC?

My vote would be for the B&O since that's exactly what this logo is doing; It stinks!

Even as Euro-esque logos go this needs alot of work.

The colors are 1970's pastels, the logo itself tries to force too many elements into it, and as a soccer patch, it would be lost in detail. Darken the colors you already have. Kill the pastels or alter them to say Columbia Blue (still darker and is taken form the old Houston Oilers) and Sunset Red/Orange.

You want a train locomotive theme? Fine, pick the damn choo-choo already and leave it at that. Make it look more like the Purdue Boilermakers. White train and tracks on pastels is difficult to see and I've never see a white train anyway.

You want to be called the Ravens instead? Okay, put a raven on as your logo. Nothingmore.

The name is lame to say the least. Houston was never a Republic, Texas was. Although you could probably argue the United States is also a republic. How about Republica TX? No "FC" no "AC" Dallas already has that angle.

Personally, I'd scrap the whole thing and go with "Houston Apollos" I'd have the main logo be a shield with the constalation of Apollo on it with a soccer ball starting to orbit. (hmm, maybe I should go on Photoshop...)

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

The MLS is trying way too hard to give teams that "European" feel. It's Houston. Not the first city I would think of that is overflowing with Europeans. If they want so badly to have more European identities, they should move overseas and start up MLS Europe.

The colors are weak, the name is dull at best, the logo is crappy. The same league that does it right with DC United, FC Dallas and Chivas USA gives us this garbage?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The MLS is trying way too hard to give teams that "European" feel. It's Houston. Not the first city I would think of that is overflowing with Europeans. If they want so badly to have more European identities, they should move overseas and start up MLS Europe.

The colors are weak, the name is dull at best, the logo is crappy. The same league that does it right with DC United, FC Dallas and Chivas USA gives us this garbage?

I agree. The name is fine but the logo and colors could have definately been better.

Archived