Houston 1836 to change name...

jhans203

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should have said that they were changing the name because it was terrible, regardless of p.c. issues.

that prob is the real reason, they dont want to look like more fools then they all ready have so they made a bs reason to cover up!!!!

It was a horrible name but the reason tehy are chaning it is bad its more Politicially Correct nonsense, and dont laugh soon they may be a boycott against the 76ers.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Well in that case, looks like Syracuse athletics HAVE done something right this year :P:D

The same goes for the St. Louis Blues.

Anyway I'm kinda glad that they are doing away with the name 1836. I was looking at the other possibilities for names and I would have no problem with any of them except for maybe the Generals. That name is pretty boring and doesn't flow with the name of the city like the other possible names.

The team name "Houston 1836": Bad.

Changing it due to pressure from a half-informed overly-PC group: Worse.

At this rate, I can't wait till the kits are unveiled. They may call for reinstatement of the puke smiley.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I never once read in that article that the team IS changing its name. The only source for this article is a city commissioner, not an official with the team or its owners. Until I OFFICIALLY see otherwise... I'm looking forward to seeing 1836 beat Colorado on April 2nd.

No kidding San Jose Earthquakes forever. I need a team I can hate. How can you hate Houston? I mean the people are Texans so they have that going against them but otherwise seems like a pretty good city. San Jose isn't the worst city in the relative bay area but the Earthquakes were the pretty boys and oh so easy to hate. Then we got one of their biggest pretty boys and now he's helping us kick their teeth in. We beat them when it counted most and now they don't exist. WHO WILL I ROOT AGAINST? Chivas USA? Colorado? Bah! San Diego needs a team. Then I can finally root against a San Diego team.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Well in that case, looks like Syracuse athletics HAVE done something right this year  :P  :D

Anyway I'm kinda glad that they are doing away with the name 1836. I was looking at the other possibilities for names and I would have no problem with any of them except for maybe the Generals. That name is pretty boring and doesn't flow with the name of the city like the other possible names.

SSShhh.....dont mention BLUES....even though it has a musical symbol logo , it might be insensitive to those suffering from depression and prompt a name change...Dont make them angry!! Dont make them angry!!!

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

Well in that case, looks like Syracuse athletics HAVE done something right this year  :P  :D

SSShhh.....dont mention BLUES....even though it has a musical symbol logo , it might be insensitive to those suffering from depression and prompt a name change...Dont make them angry!! Dont make them angry!!!

Why not, it's not like they're going to do anything about it. LOL. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I bet this all part of some masterplan to get more publicity. Think about, that fake logo floating around, picking a name so bad that the guys on PTI talked about it (do you really think they would of said two words about a Houston soccar team if they went with something like the Generals?) and now this... <_<

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

How can you hate Houston? I mean the people are Texans so they have that going against them but otherwise seems like a pretty good city.

nice way to label a whole bunch of people <_<

Back to the name thing. I think it's our PC world going too far again. The name

was starting to grow on me. The last thing Houston needs is another lame NASA-inspired moniker.

newsig.jpg

with the pc facists around we may see in the future

"Welcome to the new NHL of the future. Heres the National Hockey League matchup of the week of the now Team Chicago versus Team Detroit. The black hawks moniker was dropped as it offended native american groups and the Redwings moniker was dropped as the wheel part of the wings logo offended those laid off by automobile companies. Every name was examined but each name offered was offensive to at least 1 group thus the Chicago and Detroit franchises decided to go with Team Chicago and Team Detroit. The decision to make the change was hailed by the political correctness police. Following the chicago and detroit changes and numerous lawsuits, the NHL mandated that all teams drop their team monikers and adopt the Team 'insert city name' as the official team name. All logos were banned and all teams were forced to adopt the Team New York style jersey 'logo' which consisted of the city name drapped diagonally across the jersey. After the NHL was made an example of, the p.c. police then targeted the national football league, major league baseball and the national basketball league. The other three major leagues were targeted and eventually forced to mandate a rule saying that no team shall have team monikers or logos. Each team shall be be simply known as Team 'Insert city name here'. Colleges, High schools and others entities that has team names were further targeted." :therock:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived