I GOT MY NAME ON MY BACK!

tBBP

In responding to an NFL observation thread in this forum, a thought came to me, and I'm starting to notice it become a little more prevalent around the NFL?

What am I talking about?

Players with their WHOLE NAMES on their jerseys.

Now, I do know (or at least I think I know) the rule behind that: if two players with the same surname also share the same first letter or two, they either have the option of or are required to wear their whole first name as well. (That's the area I'm kinda gray on...because I remember a few years ago quite a few players with the first two initials of their first name on thier jerseys along with their last names.)

the thought came to me as I was watching the Jaguars/Cowboys game Sunday 10 Sept. Maurice Williams of the Jacksonville Jaguars (#74) seems to be the latest player to wear his whole name (sorry, unable to find a photo--but that's a LOT OF LETTERS ON HIS BACK--good thing he's an O-lineman and actually has room for all them letters).

Other notable players I can think of are Rudi Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals, Andra Davis of the Cleveland Browns and big #99 of the Bears, Tank Johnson.

I remember a while back (help me skyaa1 if you can remember this) the Saints had two linebackers, Keith and Kevin Mitchell, I wanna say #s 54 & 57, who also wore their whole names. And of course, the most famous of all time, Jack Youngblood (towards the top right of that image, you can see it there).

Anyone else know of any other players who have the "distinction" of wearing their whole names? What are your thoughts on this?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The only time that this rule made sense to me was when the Browns had WR Andre' Davis, who's now with Buffalo, and LB Andra Davis who's still on the Browns. Otherwise, just leave the same last name on the jersey, or put the first initial. I remember the Ravens' Jamal Lewis having JA. LEWIS on his jersey. I don't remember who the other Lewis was, but I think thaty you either put the last name only or just have the first initial on the back of the jersey. The roster and player's individual number should be enough to distinguish between the two/three/four/however many players.

The only time that this rule made sense to me was when the Browns had WR Andre' Davis, who's now with Buffalo, and LB Andra Davis who's still on the Browns. Otherwise, just leave the same last name on the jersey, or put the first initial. I remember the Ravens' Jamal Lewis having JA. LEWIS on his jersey. I don't remember who the other Lewis was, but I think thaty you either put the last name only or just have the first initial on the back of the jersey. The roster and player's individual number should be enough to distinguish between the two/three/four/however many players.

Ray Lewis?

saBS.png

The only time that this rule made sense to me was when the Browns had WR Andre' Davis, who's now with Buffalo, and LB Andra Davis who's still on the Browns. Otherwise, just leave the same last name on the jersey, or put the first initial. I remember the Ravens' Jamal Lewis having JA. LEWIS on his jersey. I  don't remember who the other Lewis was, but I think thaty you either put the last name only or just have the first initial on the back of the jersey. The roster and player's individual number should be enough to distinguish between the two/three/four/however many players.

Ray Lewis?

No, he wore JA. LEWIS because they had (don't know where he is now) a WR by the name of Jermaine Lewis. #84 if memory serves.

interesting note:

when clevan williams played for the tennessee titans, his jersey said TANK WILLIAMS...

because we already had a todd williams as a backup...

why not just C williams? why go with the full nickname?

I still don't understand why you even need the first initial. Isn't the giant number enough to tell 2 names apart?

Didn't Isiah Thomas have both or maybe it was just his first name.

He had both, with the Isiah above Thomas, I know it wasn't there for his whole career but it was there.

Video Evidence around 2:35

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I wanna say Darrent Williams on the Broncos has his whole name on there right now too. I think it's ridiculous, first initials are fine but at a certain point it gets silly. In the NHL they don't put anything in front of the name; the Sharks have two Thornton's and I don't think anyone had a problem telling them apart.

I remember Tank Williams on the Titans had his full name on the back last year, and briefly in his last year with the Saints, Ricky Williams had his whole name on the back, as there apparent was another R. Williams on the roster.

I could only imagine the nightmare if a team had two guys named, for example, C. Fuamatu-Ma'afala :D

and Isiah, I seem to recall in his rookie year his back read ISIAH in small letters above THOMAS in the normal sized letters.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I remember Tank Williams on the Titans had his full name on the back last year, and briefly in his last year with the Saints, Ricky Williams had his whole name on the back, as there apparent was another R. Williams on the roster.

I could only imagine the nightmare if a team had two guys named, for example, C. Fuamatu-Ma'afala :D

and Isiah, I seem to recall in his rookie year his back read ISIAH in small letters above THOMAS in the normal sized letters.

Damn I thought I was the only one who remembered that cat! Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala...that's already enough by itself. Ask the Steelers and jaguars how they felt about sticking FUAMATU-MA' AFALA on a jersey. (Btw, alumnus of the University of Utah, where he wore #6.)

Of course, if there were two Gbaja-Biamilas, or say, two BIAKABUTUKAs (well, the one that was IN the league couldn't even stay in)...then we'd have issues.

Bryant Johnson now carries the whole name? Wow...all that lettering stuck up under a bird...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Robert Smith of the Cure, I mean, the Vikings had his full first name on his jersey in the late '90s. I think they had a DL by the name of Robaire Smith. This is the only pic I can find:

bobs.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived