It's the Steel City's 75th Anniversary this upcoming season...

tBBP

Howdy all! How do?

Well, for those who ain't realize it, this upcoming season, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be celebrating their 75th Anniversary. In the next two weeks, the team will be holding a VIP kick-off ceremony, followed by a fan ceremony I believe the following week if not that same day (Imma have to go back and check that).

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because wemay see a few special "quirks" from the Steelers, from what I've been hearing. (Let me also say that the project from which I got this info came DIRECTLY from the organization itself.)

For one, here's an early look at the Steelers' upcoming 75th Anniversary patch (expect to see it on the jersey somewhere, possibly in place of the hypocycloid that's on there now):

75th_annivpatch.png

I've also been hearing grumblings about a certain other "very special" quirk that might turn up at some point this season: the very real possibility of a yellow helmet.

Now, at this point this may all be much ado about nothing, but, if this does happen, you saw it here first!

Oh--and about that yellow helmet:

75th_Postcard_fronthelmet.png

(Now obviously this is a mini replica, not an actual-sized helmet, but, it's interesting that a designer inside the Steelers' organization would choose to put that on a postcard that's being mailed out to all the VIP invites for this special VIP-only ceremony.)

Now...I'm just SAYING...

*EDIT: I'm also working on a concurrent concept to sorta kinda see how this type of thing might play out...at least in my mind's eye. Kee a look out.*

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I decide to rip into the yellow helmet, I would actually love to see it put up against the black jerseys and yellow pants....it could be interesting. :therock:

I've always thought the team should update the helmet in someway shape or form, just never a different color. If anything, maybe try experimenting with changing the yellow to yellowish gold color.

Before I decide to rip into the yellow helmet, I would actually love to see it put up against the black jerseys and yellow pants....it could be interesting. :therock:

I've always thought the team should update the helmet in someway shape or form, just never a different color. If anything, maybe try experimenting with changing the yellow to yellowish gold color.

Working on a concurrent concept for that as we speak...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Thats pretty kickass. If they wear the gold(yellow) helmet I'd bet on the Monday Night Home game against the Ravens on Nov. 5th. I thought I read somewhere that they would be celebrating the 75th anniversary that night. I think it'd be great to see them wear that. Not full time but for a one off game like this its great.

It's a throwback thing to wear, not an update. They wore gold(yellow) helmets before they switched to black in 1962.

Man, the Pittsburgh coat of arms would be such a kickass alt logo for the Penguins and Pirates. As for the Stillers in a gold helmet? They'll look like soggy Packers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Didn't the Steelers wear gold/yellow helmets during an early stretch of their exsistence???

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Man, the Pittsburgh coat of arms would be such a kickass alt logo for the Penguins and Pirates. As for the Stillers in a gold helmet? They'll look like soggy Packers.

LOL, I was about to say "If you wear yellow helmets, you'd better be Green Bay."

The helmet's not that bad from a design POV, but the Steelers were perennial bottom-feeders when they wore those. Why would you want to honor that?

Didn't the Steelers wear gold/yellow helmets during an early stretch of their exsistence???

Up until the 1962 postseason, yes.

It was during the postseason of that year (since they finished 9-5 that year and became the winningest Steel squad up to that point), they wanted to do something special to honor that, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black. Even though they lost that playoff game (to the Detroit Lions, no less), the new logo (which itself had just been adopted THAT YEAR) stood out against it so well they decided to stay with the black helmet, and, well, the rest is history.

Howdy all! How do?

Well, for those who ain't realize it, this upcoming season, the Pittsburgh Steelers will be celebrating their 75th Anniversary. In the next two weeks, the team will be holding a VIP kick-off ceremony, followed by a fan ceremony I believe the following week if not that same day (Imma have to go back and check that).

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because wemay see a few special "quirks" from the Steelers, from what I've been hearing. (Let me also say that the project from which I got this info came DIRECTLY from the organization itself.)

For one, here's an early look at the Steelers' upcoming 75th Anniversary patch (expect to see it on the jersey somewhere, possibly in place of the hypocycloid that's on there now):

75th_annivpatch.png

I've also been hearing grumblings about a certain other "very special" quirk that might turn up at some point this season: the very real possibility of a yellow helmet.

Now, at this point this may all be much ado about nothing, but, if this does happen, you saw it here first!

(Now obviously this is a mini replica, not an actual-sized helmet, but, it's interesting that a designer inside the Steelers' organization would choose to put that on a postcard that's being mailed out to all the VIP invites for this special VIP-only ceremony.)

Now...I'm just SAYING...

*EDIT: I'm also working on a concurrent concept to sorta kinda see how this type of thing might play out...at least in my mind's eye. Kee a look out.*

Couple the yellow helmet with this jersey and we have a winner

jersey67.jpg

Howdy all! How do?

75th_annivpatch.png

Now...I'm just SAYING...

Couple the yellow helmet with this jersey and we have a winner

jersey67.jpg

Winner!

How does this work? Do you get an alt helmet that can be worn twice like with the same rules as an alt jersey? The Steelers helmet (and possible) fantasy yellow helmet both bother me with the gray around the logo. Make it yellow on the black and black on the yellow and it'll "pop" a bit more for me...just please don't go Cleveland and put on a gray mask.

KISSwall09.jpg

The patch is very nice, but it bothers me that there is so much black space on the sides of the numbers. Maybe throw some more hypocycloids on there or something.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That patch is amazingly underwhelming. There's waaaaaay too much empty space, and it just seems very unispired. I also don't like the grey circle around the logo on the yellow helmet, and I can't see that looking good with the current unis. When I think Steelers I see the black helmet. To me if thye wnana ceelbrate the anniversary, they should wear those throwbacks with the coat of arms, or just wear the 70's duds with the block numbers.

How does this work? Do you get an alt helmet that can be worn twice like with the same rules as an alt jersey? The Steelers helmet (and possible) fantasy yellow helmet both bother me with the gray around the logo. Make it yellow on the black and black on the yellow and it'll "pop" a bit more for me...just please don't go Cleveland and put on a gray mask.

Funny you mention Cleveland in this post...

For those who don't know, the Steelers' logo was once actually the logo of U.S. Steel (or Republic Steel as it was known back in 'dem dayz), which was, ironically enough, based in Cleveland. As the story goes, USX approached them about using the hypocycloid logo, then the Steelers went through the process of having "Steelers" put on there (essentially adding the "ers" part to the "Steel" that was already on there). As for the colors: yellow for coal, ORANGE (and you thought it was red all this time :D ) for iron ore, and blue for metal scrap, the ingredients used to make steel.

(The grey circle around the logo bothers me too, but I've gotten past that already. The 75th anniversary patch, though? Though less is usually best, that thing leaves MUCH to be desired...)

So how does the alt helmet thing work? I mean other teams have been doing it with their alt("throwback") uniforms. Buffalo, San Diego, and Dallas off the top of my head have been routinly doing it. Do you have to have an alt jersey to use an alt helmet? can just a different helmet be used as an alt uniform? Kinda strange.

bucco b, what are you working on or who do you work for that has been doing work with the steelers?

So how does the alt helmet thing work? I mean other teams have been doing it with their alt("throwback") uniforms. Buffalo, San Diego, and Dallas off the top of my head have been routinly doing it. Do you have to have an alt jersey to use an alt helmet? can just a different helmet be used as an alt uniform? Kinda strange.

I think the NFL insists it be part of a general "throwback" set.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived