Atlanta Hawks Logo Concept

-(dp)-

I was inspired to take a shot at a logo concept for the Atlanta Hawks, after reading this thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...=48532&st=0

Bucco_B said he would like to see a modernized version of the logo they used with the hawk head silhouette in a circle. That gave me a great idea, how about I do a modernization of the logo of a hawks head silhouette in a circle? I know, I am a genius ain't I?

In that thread, it says the colors they will use are going to be red white and blue, possibly like these that were used from 1968-1970. Those are what I used, but I also did it in their current color scheme, and the royal blue and lime green used from 1970-1972.

Bucco_B also said a modernization of this logo could be "fresh, modern, and timeless." So guess what my goal with this was. Yup, it was to create a logo that would look fresh, modern, and be able to stand the test of time. The hawks used two different logos like this, the one used from 1970-72, and

the one used from 1972-95. Mine has the bird head colored the same as the outline, like the first one, but the position, size and shape of the head in the corcle is more like the second. I also did a wordmark. They have used the same font, I think it is benguiat, for quite a while. I wanted to try something different so I did.

Anyways, here they are, watch out for uniforms soon.

hawkslogos.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're getting there.

I'm not crazy about the font, as it looks too curvish/playful. The hawk silhouette itself isn't defined enough. It's missing something. Perhaps it's also a bit too curved to look professional. I do, however, love the idea of making this type of modern version to their old look.

My recommendations are to make the actual logo a bit sharper in terms of making the hawk really pop out at you...strike some fear into those who see it. Also, change up the font a bit. The Hawks deserve a more pointed, rugged font, rather than this seemingly amicable one.

Kind of in the same boat as Unwind, here. I think you got it started well, just need to give it a little more. I do like the font, but it could have a bit more work to it. The Hawk head itself is still just a little bland, but definately going in the right direction. Good work so far. Looks like you'll get it down.

Those are freakin' amazing. My response would have more colourful praise, but I don't think I can swear on this board. If they used any of those, they'd gain a measure of respect they haven't had while I've been a basketball fan

Nice but instead of just a red circle why don't you make it a basketball?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I was inspired to take a shot at a logo concept for the Atlanta Hawks, after reading this thread: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...=48532&st=0

Bucco_B said he would like to see a modernized version of the logo they used with the hawk head silhouette in a circle. That gave me a great idea, how about I do a modernization of the logo of a hawks head silhouette in a circle? I know, I am a genius ain't I?

In that thread, it says the colors they will use are going to be red white and blue, possibly like these that were used from 1968-1970. Those are what I used, but I also did it in their current color scheme, and the royal blue and lime green used from 1970-1972.

Bucco_B also said a modernization of this logo could be "fresh, modern, and timeless." So guess what my goal with this was. Yup, it was to create a logo that would look fresh, modern, and be able to stand the test of time. The hawks used two different logos like this, the one used from 1970-72, and

the one used from 1972-95. Mine has the bird head colored the same as the outline, like the first one, but the position, size and shape of the head in the corcle is more like the second. I also did a wordmark. They have used the same font, I think it is benguiat, for quite a while. I wanted to try something different so I did.

Anyways, here they are, watch out for uniforms soon.

hawkslogos.png

Dude, I've had this almost exact same idea floating around in my head since I went to retro night @ the Hawks game a few weeks ago. Since I'm busy/lazy, I never got around to materializing it. So yeah, I love it because this is what I'd do.

That, and it the logo actually would really be welcomed since the Hawk-head logos are most associated with winning than anything.

They're getting there.

I'm not crazy about the font, as it looks too curvish/playful. The hawk silhouette itself isn't defined enough. It's missing something. Perhaps it's also a bit too curved to look professional. I do, however, love the idea of making this type of modern version to their old look.

My recommendations are to make the actual logo a bit sharper in terms of making the hawk really pop out at you...strike some fear into those who see it. Also, change up the font a bit. The Hawks deserve a more pointed, rugged font, rather than this seemingly amicable one.

i disagree completely...the simplicity of the hawk is what makes it look "professional" to me...it's not overdone and is very iconic and would stand the test of time - i'm not sure why curves would make it look unprofessional - i also don't think logos have to be fearsome to be professional

and i think a pointed font would really clash with this logo...the font chosen really has the feel of a bird wing, particularly at the top of the H, W and K

of course, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, but i have a hard time finding any flaw with this package, especially the one on the left

jldesigns404eo.png

i was just working on a similar concept, also based off bucco's comments. Mine is worse than yours, but it might be shown soon anyway. The logo itself looks terrific, but put me down as one of those that has a problem with the font. the problem isn't in the font choice, but in the font itself, there are some minor tweaks that would make it work better IMO. for example: the negative space created when by the K and the S bothers me a lot. The space is a lot bigger than any open space in the wordmark, so my eye goes right there. quick fixes like that would make this 100% use-able IMO.

Archived