Milwaukee Brewers Ethnic Heritage Day Uniform Scripts

TruColor

Italian Heritage Day Uniform Script:

MilwaukeeBrewers_SEU0301a_2012-9999_SCC_

It pisses me off that the Brewers used the colors of the Italian flag when they could have just used their normal colors. Hell, if they wanted to appeal to Italian heritage without changing their look too much, they could have used the blue they use with their throwbacks instead of navy.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

The colors aren't bad in theory; look good on the field although the tannish print version of their gold is terribly drab and boring.

But everything else is terrible. The script is awkward and unbalanced (why does it need two dropshadows?), the piping is 1990s clunky where it's used and missing where it isn't, and Times New Roman is not a font for sports uniforms.

Some people have said "it looks like a beer label!" which makes sense except that it doesn't actually look like a beer label. Not one on a bottle of beer brewed in Milwaukee, anyway.

I know many if not most fans would prefer them to go back to the pinstripes and BiG (seriously, look around Miller Park if this is at all in doubt), but if they really want to keep double-dipping those merchandise sales I'd be happy if they kept the color scheme and started again from scratch.

The colors aren't bad in theory; look good on the field although the tannish print version of their gold is terribly drab and boring.

But everything else is terrible. The script is awkward and unbalanced (why does it need two dropshadows?), the piping is 1990s clunky where it's used and missing where it isn't, and Times New Roman is not a font for sports uniforms.

Some people have said "it looks like a beer label!" which makes sense except that it doesn't actually look like a beer label. Not one on a bottle of beer brewed in Milwaukee, anyway.

I know many if not most fans would prefer them to go back to the pinstripes and BiG (seriously, look around Miller Park if this is at all in doubt), but if they really want to keep double-dipping those merchandise sales I'd be happy if they kept the color scheme and started again from scratch.

I agree that their past colors are better than their current colors, however I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the script as I think it's unique and better than that generic script they had in the past. I really like their primary and cap logo and I think they're one of the best logo sets in the league. I do like the ball-in-glove logo, but I think it's pretty overrated as any team with the initials "M" and "B" could use that logo (if it weren't for the trademark, of course). I also don't like the logo on the blue caps because of that inconsistent "blue on blue" (which is why I also don't like the Angels "red on red" caps either). I think their current set depicts them better as a team called the "Brewers" than their past set. Now, if they were to go back to it, I wouldn't have any problem with it as it does seem like the fans prefer the past set more, but the Brewers are making a lot of money off of using and selling the current and throwback merchandise.

Why do people like the Brewers current identity?

I don't get it either. The Brewers look is not the most popular MLB identity on these boards but when I arrived here the positive feelings for it were a surprise to me.

I will say though that I arrived on the boards 10 years ago (gulp) and I'd judge (by anecdote, of course) that the look is growing stale to some people. I don't feel the positive vibe for it here as I did 10 years ago and I wonder if people (here and in Milwaukee) are growing sick of it.

I personally hated it from day 1. First it was replacing a great, underrated look (the "Germanic" look; post "Motre Bame" cap). Second-10th, pretty much everything in Gothamite's post. Too much drop shadow, awful number font, stupid "half underline", stupid wheat underline on the cap. No part of the look was an upgrade over the Germanic look or the BiG.

The Germanic look is an overlooked time for the Crew. It's not coming back; I am not kidding myself, so I guess I'd take a BiG look if offered. As discussed above, it is the predominant look at Miller Park. The colors would be refreshing given the dark schemes that most teams use nowadays. Both home wordmarks they used were nice (as was the road wordmark). I happen to think the BiG logo's a bit silly, but it's otherwise a nice look.

Sadly, I think you guys are on to something regarding "double dipping". Why make that the primary look when they can throw back to it 15 times a year and sell both versions of merchandise. The Twins are doing it as well...though the jersey and a few t-shirts with the old script are all that's selling, whereas the Brewers have an entire line of stuff. I don't like the trend of teams displaying two completely different identities over the season; I wish they'd pick one. On the plus side, the Blue Jays did away with this practice, dumped their awful "Jays" set and went with a great new set that looked like a seamless terrific update of the set to which they were throwing back. I'd love to see the Brewers do that (and the Twins just pick one of the two looks and be done).

The worst part, though, is that we've diverted from the intent of this post.

I like the way the Brewers have handled this...I like the incorporation of the best translations they could find...way better than "los Brewers."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I agree that their past colors are better than their current colors, however I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the script as I think it's unique and better than that generic script they had in the past.

For my own part, I didn't compare their current looks with past looks. We have to evaluate their current look on its own merits, and it falls woefully short.

When you have to angle the jersey script to fit it on the logo, that's a sign of bad design.

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.gif

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.gif

Another sign is giving the jersey script an extra blue dropshadow - if that's so important, why not put it on the numbers or NOB? Why only the team name?

68778a_lg.jpeg

68778b_lg.jpeg

All those inconsistencies, in a uniform set designed to be matchy-matchy all the way, it's terrible design.

I'm with OnWis - I hated the design at first because it replaced a near-perfect one. But I get that the old one isn't coming back, so I tried to adopt the new one. But I can't because it's just plain bad.

Man...I guess I'm in the very small minority then...

I REALLY prefer the current set to the vastly-overrated BiG.

(Good gosh, I do not understand the love for that thing.)

I'm with you. The new set isn't perfect, but it is very pleasing. The old stuff is generic crap.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I can agree with the idea that the BiG is overrated and probably belongs in the 70s/80s era. So, hypothetically, if there is no will to bring it back (not true, but for argument's sake) and we all know that no other past look is coming back, I'd rather they blow it all up and start over. Even if I were to prefer this era to the BiG, that would only be because I cannot take the BiG seriously. On it's own merits, the current design is awful for reasons that I won't type out thanks to Goth.

I can live with the colors (though the blue/yellow of the old days would be unique today) if the team wants to make that it's "forever" identity. But look at all the outlining...a white space on top of a gold drop shadow, which is outlined in blue. The Brewers are in a pretty heated duel with the Rangers for "most overdone wordmark". Also, the little "half underline" jumped out at me from day one; I just hate it (but I don't know how others feel).

Anyway, while I prefer the BiG era to this era; I would be all for starting the whole thing over (as dangerous as that can be).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

This is the definition of selling out. They're basically trading their team's identity for more versions of merchandise to sell. The more identities the team has, the further they are from actually having one.

Waiting for the Muslim version next.

87Redskins.png

This is the definition of selling out. They're basically trading their team's identity for more versions of merchandise to sell. The more identities the team has, the further they are from actually having one.

Waiting for the Muslim version next.

Hello. Welcome to sports marketing.

And that would be Arabic... like the numbers we use.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Did they really wear a green jersey for Italian day? Why not change colors for the Germans or Poles then?

Could of been who they were playing. Wouldn't want a red and white Polish uniform if your playing the Reds or Cardinals. Plus German colors would be similar to the Pirates as well. No green in the NL Cental though.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

That Motre Bame set from the 90's was awful. I will never get how some people on here have such a hard on for those. In my opinion they are just garbage. As for the current set, I think it's very good. Tweaks? Yeah probably, but I looks great. It screams "Brewers". And the colors are great together. While everyone here in Wisco loves the retro blue and yellow, I've never heard a complaint about the new set. I think it's a great identity. Still think they need to recolor and incorporate the barell man into the set somewhere.

As for the heritage unis, my guess is there won't be any new heritages, due to the fact that all the 4 are 4 of the 5 racing sausages (Hispanic=chorizo, german=brat, polish=polish and Italian=italian). The 5th is hot dog which would be American which unless they go full out 'Murica on they probably won't do. they will probably just keep reusing them but with different jerseys (like cerveceros was the gold alt this year)

Archived