What MLS team should I support?

jaker52

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally getting a local club next year for the MLS, the Orlando City Lions, I am pumped for that. Kinda get annoyed by our supporters groups but it'll still be fun. Before that I was a Mutiny fan back in the day. The MLS has changed A LOT since then.

But I don't think you can just randomly pick a team, I tried to do that with the Premier League but it wasn't until a soccer fan from England married into the family that I adopted a team myself (since he got me into his, Man U). Now I even own a part of Manchester United having bought stock in them. It's pretty cool.

I would take someone else's advice earlier and just watch games and see who captures you. Plus, sometimes it's easier to watch sports if you don't have a rooting interest, less heart attacks and disappointment :P

niagaraq.png

If I didn't have a local interest, I'd probably be a fan of the United or Crew.

For all of his pouting, I'm still a fan of Eddie Johnson. There aren't any Crew players I'm all that interested in, but their colors are cool, the stadium is interesting, and as MLS continues to grow, they seem more and more like an underdog city that's done pretty well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Philadelphia Union. Perennial underdogs. The Sons of Ben are great. I had a chance to sit (or stand) with them during a rainy and cold March match. It was the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

Sons of Ben are amazing.

I really wanted to support Union because of them, but eventually I decided I had to wait for a local club.

It sucks so bad that their stadium is where it is. That was about the worst decision ever. I don't "get" soccer, but I would absolutely give it a chance at some games and they do look like fun, but it couldn't possibly be less convenient to get to the stadium, or less safe in that area. They made it extremely difficult for city dwellers to make it there, since there is extremely limited transportation (you have to take godsdamn regional rail and then connect to a shuttle bus) and even for people who drive, they have to post warnings on their site regarding where to park due to safety concerns in Chester.

EDIT: just read that a couple city bars offer buses to and from the game for $25 which includes beer and food, but one is limited to season ticket holders, and the other is extremely limited. Cool idea though - if others participated maybe I'd make the trek once next season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What is SSS?

Chester is a suburb by definition, but it is more like its own independent urban killing field. It's a place you don't go to unless you work at the hospital or for the port. Corruption put the park there, but if they wanted true suburbs, They probably had better (albeit more expensive and possibly locally opposed) options. There aren't many city options due to space, but maybe partnering with Penn and playon fat Franklin Field would have worked for a while. Not sure about the grass situation though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Philadelphia Union. Perennial underdogs. The Sons of Ben are great. I had a chance to sit (or stand) with them during a rainy and cold March match. It was the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

Sons of Ben are amazing.

I really wanted to support Union because of them, but eventually I decided I had to wait for a local club.

It sucks so bad that their stadium is where it is. That was about the worst decision ever. I don't "get" soccer, but I would absolutely give it a chance at some games and they do look like fun, but it couldn't possibly be less convenient to get to the stadium, or less safe in that area. They made it extremely difficult for city dwellers to make it there, since there is extremely limited transportation (you have to take godsdamn regional rail and then connect to a shuttle bus) and even for people who drive, they have to post warnings on their site regarding where to park due to safety concerns in Chester.

EDIT: just read that a couple city bars offer buses to and from the game for $25 which includes beer and food, but one is limited to season ticket holders, and the other is extremely limited. Cool idea though - if others participated maybe I'd make the trek once next season.

Agreed about the location of the stadium. Chester is a terrible spot and a horrible neighborhood.

Sons of Ben are amazing.

I was just blown away by the atmosphere. It was a terrible day weather wise and the SOB were out in full effect.

If you're looking for a team and locale isn't a sticking point? I'd hold out for either LAFC, NYCFC, or the yet to be named Atlanta team. All three have yet to play a game, so you'll be able to get in on the ground floor.

Colorado Rapids for obviously biased reasons. I will say though that NYCFC should be your choice as a brand new club with a great group of clubs surrounding it and the potential to have some very good teams. C'mon Citeh!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I will support Nashville but i need an MLS team too I have narrowed it down

Portland Timbers

Seattle Sounders

RSL

Seattle - seems like too much the popular choice

Portland - Could you stand Merritt Paulson as your owner? Not me.

RSL - Could you support a team with by far the worst branding in MLS. "Real Salt Lake" is just an awful bush league identity...

IMO, if you're gonna start with the MLS now, you should start with a team that's also staring up too ...kinda establish a "fan since day 1" attitude. So NYCFC or Orlando City should be your direction. My bias would say NYCFC but OC is closer to you and also has a league standout Purple color scheme. Houston (Orange) & Columbus (Yellow) are also close and have the standout colors too...

NYCdog.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived