Pro teams in need of a rebrand

damnyoutuesday

Again, the cultural differences between the suburbs and their host city tend to vary from city to city. I just happen to live in one that has almost nothing in common with its burbs outside of crappy weather.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this location thing is odd to me. i dont see whats wrong with claiming the nearest major city as your home.

Santa Clara (49ers) is basically in San Jose, and a long way from San Francisco.

I understand why teams want to be named after a "cooler" city (even when they are in a completely different State) but would say I'd draw the line at bypassing the closest big city in favor of a cooler big city much farther away.

The current Texas Rangers uniforms to me look awfully bland. I wouldn't say a color scheme or name change doesn't need to occur, but a complete uniform overhaul does. Maybe it's because I'm a huge Nolan Ryan fan, but to me the Texas Rangers uniforms from the mid 80s and 90s are not only the best in the history of the franchise, but also the history of Major League Baseball. The colors, script jersey logo, and cap just blend so well to create a solid identity. I realize this is more of a discussion of which teams need completely new uniforms, but a new uniform would also look better to me than what the Rangers baseball club wears now. With Ron Washington, Ian Kinsler, Nelson Cruz, and Josh Hamilton having left the team and the club heading into a rebuilding era, the timing is perfect for introducing new unis.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

this location thing is odd to me. i dont see whats wrong with claiming the nearest major city as your home.

Santa Clara (49ers) is basically in San Jose, and a long way from San Francisco.

I understand why teams want to be named after a "cooler" city (even when they are in a completely different State) but would say I'd draw the line at bypassing the closest big city in favor of a cooler big city much farther away.

i dont think its quite claiming the coolest city, but it is about claiming the one with a large population or that is nationally recognized if you're a national/professional brand. with the 49ers, theres so much brand equity there with the name theres no reason to change it as long as they're in the Bay area. you may as well rebrand the franchise to the San Jose So-and-so's at that point. and with SF a city that is the size of Disney World in Orlando, and a city that is exploding in population and real estate is at the utmost premium i think moving the new stadium outside the SF city limits was a good move. still close enough to keep the SF name and in a better location for people to enjoy the games. you dont have to deal with the SF traffic for BART system and it brings jobs to a . . .well, Santa Clara isnt exactly struggling in unemployment or income but its not on SF's level right now. i think theres a lot of good that has come to the Bay area from the stadium being where it is and IMO is still fine for the 9ers to represent San Francisco

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Since they're technically a pro team...

xwvsfgdtycekmx561pqm9lboe.gif

I they used teal instead of red, they'd be okay. But overall a pretty boring brand.

This was definitely a case of a rebrand that was a downgrade in every possible way. I don't know what they were thinking.

Since they're technically a pro team...

xwvsfgdtycekmx561pqm9lboe.gif

I they used teal instead of red, they'd be okay. But overall a pretty boring brand.

Why does the outline follow the R on the ouside (cutting off the T) but not on the inside? Did anyone even review this logo before it was approved?

Nope. Or if anyone did, it would a blind person.

Top of my head...

MLB:

Marlins

Diamondbacks

Padres

Brewers

NFL:

Titans

Bucs

NBA:

Rockets

Bucks

NHL:

Panthers

Predators

Ducks

Some of those like the Bucks will eternally need rebranding... they're weak nics/brands/personas that can't keep up with the big boys.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Ooh, almost forgot: Every minor league team(save maybe A ball in baseball) that is a clone of their parent club.

And by this I mean, teams such as the B-Mets, the Toronto Marlies, the P Bruins and so on

The "Toronto Marlies" brand dates back to 1903, fourteen years before the franchise that would become the Maple Leafs was founded. The Marlies' brand pre-dates the establishment of the "Toronto Maple Leafs" identity by twenty-four years.

NFL.

Browns - Need actual logo how about a Bulldog as the Browns logo

Ravens - There logo is fine but I would drop the B in the ravens head & use a black wings on a purple help kind of like what Eagles have

Jaguars - All around ugly need to change everything but they will most likely change everything in a couple years when they move to LA.

Falcons - Need to go back to there red helmets

Patriots - Should go back to the hiking Patriot but keep the same colour scheme

CFL.

Tiger Cats - they should use that streaking Tiger logo on white helmets they used once back in 2005 but use the black helmets & use there current logo as a secondary logo

Argonauts - Should go back to the logo they used from 1996 - 2004 but keep the double blue

Blue Bombers - should go back to the W with the lightning bolt & they should use a Chargers type of logo on there gold helmets

NBA.

Nets - Need a better logo & colour scheme

Thunder - Need a better logo something like a charging bison

Clippers - New logo something like a wave , anchor or an actual Clipper ship

Bucks - New logo

Jazz - New name logo & colours

Kings - New logo

MLB.

Rangers - New logo

Indians - A less offensive Indian Logo

Marlins - Should go back to there old logo & Colour scheme

NHL.

Coyotes - Need to move

Panthers - Need to move

Sharks - Should drop the yellow & go back to silver in there colour scheme

Kings - Should just use the crown as there logo

Senators - New logo

Seeing as how the Niners, Jets, and Giants have been San Francisco and New York respectively for over 50 years (more for the Giants and Niners) I don't think they should now have to change to the San Jose 49ers and New Jersey Giants/Jets.....

I want the Browns to have a logo other than a helmet, but I hate every idea I've seen. They've probably done the right thing* all these years going without one.

*Up to this point in time, insofar as we know.

Archived