infrared41's Best and Worst of the Week - Season Finale

infrared41

Another...ahem...weak week to finish out the 2014 season. We had some very solid uniform match ups, but week 17 didn't give us any truly great match ups to wrap up 2014. Fortunately for us, week 17 produced just two match ups that were bad enough to make the worst list. Let's put 60 seconds on the clock and wrap up the 2014 season.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Lions - Packers: The Lions take advantage of a weak schedule combined with a match up against the Packers to score their second straight #1 spot. I'm not going to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure the Lions have spent more time on the best list this season than the Packers have. That's the kind of season it's been for uniform match ups. The Packers played a bad uniform schedule and they ruined at least one game by wearing those awful throwbacks. Anyway, I really like the Lions road look when it's paired with a classic look like the Packers or Bears.

Packers2.jpg

2. Bears - Vikings: How great would this game have looked if the Bears had gone all white? That's not a knock on their blue pants; the Bears dark pants are one of the few that I actually like. All I'm saying is the Bears in all white would have looked killer in this particular match up. The Vikings home uniforms are quickly becoming one of my favorite looks in the league.

BearsVikings1.jpg

3. Browns - Ravens: Kudos to the Browns for sending their classic uniforms out on a high note. Kudos to the Ravens for not ruining this game by wearing those horrible black pants. Some teams, like the Lions or Eagles, move up my list simply because teams like Tampa Bay and, to a lesser extent, Miami downgrade their looks. That's not the case with the Ravens. Once I got past my Cleveland bias, I realized that the Ravens weren't as bad as I originally thought. When they stick to the basics, purple over white and all white, the Ravens have a really good look. Sadly, it's time to bid a fond adieu to those beautiful Browns uniforms. Here's hoping their new look is more Buffalo or Minnesota than it is Jacksonville or Tampa Bay.

3933ff07-f9f7-43bb-a500-730ebd3cba7c.jpg

4. Eagles - Giants: I liked the color contrast in this one. And...brace yourselves...I'm glad the Eagles didn't go all white in this one. The Giants are another example of how weak the match ups have been this season. They didn't appear on the best list nearly as often as they usually do.

Eagles.jpg

5. Dallas - Washington: May as well say it one more time this season - hopefully, the day will come when Jerry Jones finally realizes that his team would sure look a lot better if their uniform colors matched.

Cowboys2-1.jpg

Worst:

1. Saints - Buccaneers: If memory serves, the Saints wore their gold pants exactly one time this season. And as a result, they spent way more time on the worst list than they should have. When they wear the gold pants, the Saints have one of the best looks in the league. Do I really need to explain why Tampa Bay made the worst list?

c8da01fd-305b-481f-8536-7f48185f08eb.jpg

2. Rams - Seahawks: Because one set of blue pants just isn't enough. Man that's a lot of blue.

Rams4.jpg

And that's a wrap. We'll do it all again next season. Until then, thanks for taking the time to drop by.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised the Jets Dolphins game didn't make the list

141228_Gallery.jpg

The Dolphins haven't made either list all season. Why is that you ask? Because the Dolphins uniforms are boring. They aren't bad enough to make the worst list and they aren't good enough to make the best list.

BB52Big.jpg

gods in that picture you have the MIAMI butt mark, a jock strap line, and the sumo-effect going on just with the pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The way you feel about the blue in Rams-Seahawks is how I'd feel about white had Bears-Vikings gone that route. Also, I really like the Bears in navy-white-navy, and helmets matching the pants in most cases on the road. But to each their own.

Agreed about the Cowboys' colors, as always. I do read this every week even if I don't comment. Thanks for another year of recaps.

The Saints and the Ravens need to stop clowning around and get some stripes on their black pants.

Or they could do us all a favor and set them on fire.

The Saints, maybe. Gold pants are all they really need. But the Ravens absolutely have to have black pants in the rotation as long as they have this look. The white pants look great with the white jersey, average at best with the purple jersey, and horrible with the black jersey (if they ever chose to use that combo). Purple pants are out of the question. Ditching black pants entirely would actually make them look worse, imo.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

The Saints and the Ravens need to stop clowning around and get some stripes on their black pants.

Or they could do us all a favor and set them on fire.

The Saints, maybe. Gold pants are all they really need. But the Ravens absolutely have to have black pants in the rotation as long as they have this look. The white pants look great with the white jersey, average at best with the purple jersey, and horrible with the black jersey (if they ever chose to use that combo). Purple pants are out of the question. Ditching black pants entirely would actually make them look worse, imo.

The Ravens' current black pants look terrible. I actually really like the black pants from year 3, which had white-purple-white stripes on the sides. Pair those with the road jersey and the striped white socks from the first Super Bowl and that would make for a great road look. However, black pants have always looked awful with the purple jerseys and clownish with the black jerseys. I would rather the Ravens wear the previous black pants, but they really need to eliminate black pants completely because the players can't be trusted to wear them properly.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the problem with the Ravens is that they're a team who doesn't know what their primary color is. Is it purple, or is it black? You can even make a case for white, actually (which probably isn't what you'd want to do with a team called the Ravens). Granted, they've handled having two dark colors better than say, the Eagles (mostly due to their wiser use of white and use of gold trim), but they'd be well served to either pick a primary color and stick with it, or fully embrace the dual-dark look and find ways to improve it.

I'm a Ravens fan by the way, so I'm a tad bit biased when it comes to their uniforms.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Archived