North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

In my ideal world this would the divisional alignment.

Division 1 = MLS

Division 2 = NASL & Actual USL Teams (This league should focus on small markets that can have a strong fanbase like Grand Rapids)

Division 3 = MLS Reserve Teams (All the "2" teams go here)

Division 4 = Division 2 Reserves

The USSF does not have a rule that there is only 1 league at each level on the pyramid even though that's what's happening now. Although the USSF doesn't sanction D4, its not much different than how there is a NPSL and PDL. I think you could argue that overall the NPSL is ahead of PDL and yet they coexist at the same level. The NASL doesn't have to eclipse MLS under the current rules, they only have to meet the minimum requirements of D1.

I don't think any good can come of having multiple D1 leagues from a stability standpoint. That's why there is only one country on the planet that has it (India) and that's a recent phenomenon.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Division 1 = MLS

Division 2 = NASL & Actual USL Teams (This league should focus on small markets that can have a strong fanbase like Grand Rapids)

The USSF does not have a rule that there is only 1 league at each level on the pyramid even though that's what's happening now. Although the USSF doesn't sanction D4, its not much different than how there is a NPSL and PDL. I think you could argue that overall the NPSL is ahead of PDL and yet they coexist at the same level. The NASL doesn't have to eclipse MLS under the current rules, they only have to meet the minimum requirements of D1.

I don't think any good can come of having multiple D1 leagues from a stability standpoint. That's why there is only one country on the planet that has it (India) and that's a recent phenomenon.

Just curious would you bump the NPSL, current level 4, down to 5 or rearrange the teams?

Division 1 = MLS

Just curious would you bump the NPSL, current level 4, down to 5 or rearrange the teams?

If the NPSL teams can actually generate a strong fanbase then I say they can go in D2. Teams that can't do that can compete with the Div 2 Reserves (like NPSL Champs Cosmos B) in D4

Division 1 = MLS

Careful with that argument. There are only 3 federations that don't have promotion and relegation. So I could say because there are only 2 other countries that do that, its not a good idea here.

:)

I do like your structure you've got. I actually believe Pro/Rel could exist right now with no caveats without the MLS. There isn't much of a difference between the Railhawks and Louisville City or any of the non reserve USL teams and their NASL counterparts. You could switch those teams and I doubt you'd lose much in terms of fans and investment. Probably some but you could institute parachute payments or something, it could be worked out. The gulf is too wide at the MLS to NASL/USL right now. I personally think you could get around it by having some strict requirements in place like stadium size, salary floors, etc and basically make it so teams have to invest millions before they can even be considered for promotion but I don't think anyone wants to hear that. They just want Pro/Rel now or never.

D2 reserve teams right now are pretty much amateur in nature anyway I've got to imagine. If they aren't they aren't making much, maybe housing costs. Cosmos B had Haji Wright but I don't think they had too many other professionals so them being at D4 makes sense.

Division 1 = MLS

If the NPSL teams can actually generate a strong fanbase then I say they can go in D2. Teams that can't do that can compete with the Div 2 Reserves (like NPSL Champs Cosmos B) in D4

If the NPSL teams can actually generate a strong fanbase, then they wouldn't be in the NPSL. ;)

Careful with that argument. There are only 3 federations that don't have promotion and relegation. So I could say because there are only 2 other countries that do that, its not a good idea here.

That's because the US, Canada, & Australia are probably the only places in the world where pro/rel doesn't make sense since there isn't a real history of it and I think the franchise system is better than pro/rel for growing soccer countries that have a lot of capital but where the sport isn't #1 in popularity.

There is nothing that proves that having 2 D1 leagues has any benefits for the US.

If the NPSL teams can actually generate a strong fanbase, then they wouldn't be in the NPSL. ;)

Tell that to Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Chattanooga.

Yeah but for every great story like Chattanooga and Detroit City(who is renovating their stadium) you get 20 teams that play at a high school stadium and don't draw crowds.

Yeah but for every great story like Chattanooga and Detroit City(who is renovating their stadium) you get 20 teams that play at a high school stadium and don't draw crowds.

So those teams will stay in D4, in my setup, and play with the D2 reserves while those 3 teams will get bumped up to D2.

MLS launched a new mlssoccer.com today. It's fine, I guess. I could do without the menu bar following me as I scroll down the page, but someone somewhere thinks that's a good idea so everyone does it :(

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Exactly. The NPSL is a semi-pro league. Some teams could perhaps make it as professionals, and those should get themselves into the USL.

Exactly. The NPSL is a semi-pro league. Some teams could perhaps make it as professionals, and those should get themselves into the USL.

The NPSL has a relationship with the NASL so if they were to move up into any league the NASL would probably be easier to move into.

MLS launched a new mlssoccer.com today. It's fine, I guess. I could do without the menu bar following me as I scroll down the page, but someone somewhere thinks that's a good idea so everyone does it :(

The persistent menu bar? (It doesn't really "follow" you; it's just a fixed item.) That's actually pretty smart. I am wondering why they felt that it needed to change logos as you scroll down, though.

Also, still reloading the page to re-sort tables? Kids, kids, kids...

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I find persistent menu bars take up screen real estate, especially when they cover up text and interfere with PgDn functionality. Plus I know where the menu is. At the top.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived