North American Pro Soccer 2015

Sodboy13

They're being widely criticized for having a sponsor for the supporters group.

Not only that, a supporters group named for its sponsor.

The sponsored section is for the college student section."The Pride" which is the u official and organic group will sit at the opposite goal.

banner_zpsoxpwiuls.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're both kinda right. From what I've seen, The Pride is independent but I don't think its "official" like The Legion is. The Legion is the one created by the Front Office and is the Student Section. I don't think a sponsor would pay to be the "other" supporter section. This is me going off tweets and other info like that.

I'm just astonished at some of these new teams going in and completely ignoring the formula that has worked nearly every time in new markets. Look at Indy, Jacksonville, Louisville, St. Louis, Detroit, & Chattanooga. (maybe Sacramento, I'm not sure they're unbelievable success is as related to a SG as the others) Every one of them has an organically created supporters group that existed either before or right around the announcement of the team. You can't force things like this. You have to let them develop, then work with them. You make money off them through ticket sales and the experience they bring to the stadium attracting other fans, not by selling naming rights.

BTW, even the successful clubs aren't immune to this stupid behavior. The fan created Coastal Cup in Florida now has a sponsor.

I will admit, I know Indy has advertising in front of the supporters section, but its not the Brickyard Battalion brought to you by Chatam Tap.

The model is established and proven successful. Why anyone thinks they can come in and buy their way in at the lower levels is surprising to me. Maybe it'll work this time, we're still early in development of teams in this country, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think you're both kinda right. From what I've seen, The Pride is independent but I don't think its "official" like The Legion is. The Legion is the one created by the Front Office and is the Student Section. I don't think a sponsor would pay to be the "other" supporter section. This is me going off tweets and other info like that.

I'm just astonished at some of these new teams going in and completely ignoring the formula that has worked nearly every time in new markets. Look at Indy, Jacksonville, Louisville, St. Louis, Detroit, & Chattanooga. (maybe Sacramento, I'm not sure they're unbelievable success is as related to a SG as the others) Every one of them has an organically created supporters group that existed either before or right around the announcement of the team. You can't force things like this. You have to let them develop, then work with them. You make money off them through ticket sales and the experience they bring to the stadium attracting other fans, not by selling naming rights.

BTW, even the successful clubs aren't immune to this stupid behavior. The fan created Coastal Cup in Florida now has a sponsor.

I will admit, I know Indy has advertising in front of the supporters section, but its not the Brickyard Battalion brought to you by Chatam Tap.

The model is established and proven successful. Why anyone thinks they can come in and buy their way in at the lower levels is surprising to me. Maybe it'll work this time, we're still early in development of teams in this country, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree, however, I think the main difference is that they are trying to get a foothold in a demographic that will be turned upside down every 4 years: college kids. So the organic fan culture "The Pride" will mostly be early adopters and people who live in the area and root for the team and "Legion" will be college kids from UC, Xavier, etc.

I agree that you want it to be grassroots (I'm a member of Section 904 here in JAX) however, even we have our issues that are being worked out.

Sidenote: it'll be super creepy when they begin to chant "We are legion". Creepiness of biblical proportions.

Also, sponsoring the student section probably keeps costs down for season tickets so that more college kids will show up.

banner_zpsoxpwiuls.jpg

I agree, however, I think the main difference is that they are trying to get a foothold in a demographic that will be turned upside down every 4 years: college kids. So the organic fan culture "The Pride" will mostly be early adopters and people who live in the area and root for the team and "Legion" will be college kids from UC, Xavier, etc.

I agree that you want it to be grassroots (I'm a member of Section 904 here in JAX) however, even we have our issues that are being worked out.

Sidenote: it'll be super creepy when they begin to chant "We are legion". Creepiness of biblical proportions.

Also, sponsoring the student section probably keeps costs down for season tickets so that more college kids will show up.

Nippert Stadium is one of the minority of college stadiums which sell beer and their renovation added a beer garden. These teams are just embracing the minor league baseball model of cheap tix with student ID as a cover charge.

Archived