NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

They got suspended for that? Weird.

Good to see that Farmers* only is working to spread the love across the heartland, though.

The Dolphins leaving Miami would be like the Sonics leaving Seattle, and not necessarily as absurd as it sounds.

Miami isn't the best sports town, but it would be a perfect city to be the new L.A. for a decade or so if L.A. finally gets a team. And the Dolphins' records would be waiting for them (thanks to this new, sad era of sports history we live in) once the Heat's "not 6, not 7" year reign is done, the area is ripe for a fresh bandwagon, and the London experiment needs a soft (and perhaps swampy) place to land.

Stranger things have happened (Sonics not Hornets, Thrashers not Coyotes).

Many more likely choices, though. But as the musical chairs fill up...

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dolphins will almost certainly stay in Miami, and they should, but like the other teams being mentioned, they've had their attendance issues and have a stadium issue to solve. So they could be in the conversation, I suppose.

Teams with bad attendance: Oakland, St. Louis, Jacksonville

Teams with stadium issues: San Diego, St. Louis, Oakland

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

There are plenty of teams that have had attendance issues lately. Miami, Tampa Bay, San Diego are a few of them. Hell, Pittsburgh had bad attendance last year. (Collective) we just only talk about the ones who are easy targets or aren't in traditional markets.

The simple truth is disappointing football tends to equal disappointing attendance. Only a few markets/fan bases avoid that. And that's why attendance really isn't a big factor in any of this. It's just a talking point.

Stadium/lease. It's damn near the only thing that matters aside from the whims of the owner.

Miami (Ross) is just trying to find a way to reduce the largest upper bowl in the NFL into a more profitable seating area. While they were the trendsetter in having lower level/bowl suites, it came with a cost in that they have too many damn upper seats. There is a reason why Tennessee and Tampa Bay, new Soldier Field and even Jerry World do not have a complete upper bowl for football. FedEx Field let the top of the stadium go because it is hard to sell. Cowboys Stadium andLevi's stadium does not have a total upper bowl, because those seats are difficult to sell.

The NFL won't let Miami host anymore Super Bowls, so the Dolphins have a stadium issue.

Bending over backwards to kiss Roger Goodell's ass is pretty much what each city has to do to get the Super Bowl and promise certain things at their own expense.

Yeah, I was listening to The Current on Monday and the DJ (Paul Westerberg's sister!) and newsreader were going back and forth about how onerous the NFL's demands for extra Super Bowl perks are. They want free penthouse suites, they want the cops to drop whatever else it is they do to crack down on counterfeit merchandise, they want everything. Finally, they basically said what a bunch of crap the NFL is for just going around and demanding taxpayer-financed stadiums everywhere. The cynicism was so high that I seriously thought Roger Goodell's hired goons would storm the building and shut down Miinnesota Public Radio for daring to speak ill of THE SHIELD. Minnesota rocks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"We wanted to buy the Bills before buying the Bills was cool... maaaaaan... "

God... the first hipster franchise may be upon us...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• 1 month later...

Who is leading the NFL in season ticket sales? The Jacksonville Jaguars.

There's nothing in that "article" that says anything. There's absolutely no way they can do it, even considering they have cheap tickets and give seats away, considering how many teams sell out their stadiums with season tickets.

Maybe I misread, but there didn't seem to be anything that mentioned numbers

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's nothing in that "article" that says anything. There's absolutely no way they can do it, even considering they have cheap tickets and give seats away, considering how many teams sell out their stadiums with season tickets.

It's been a different ballgame since Khan bought the team. Especially after Gus was hired. I haven't seen this city this energized since the mid 90's. The kids are grown up. The Bold City Brigade had one of the biggest presence at the draft. All 20 and 30 somethings. All of this coming off 2 and 4 win seasons.

Could they? That'd put them closer to me now. (marginally)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think the Jaguars have ever been serious candidates to move to LA, if only because of their lease.

Maybe they should be moved, and I've argued for a long time that leases were made to be broken, but you've already got a couple teams in worse stadium situations who don't have leases tying them to their towns. That takes the Jaguars off the table, or at least pushes them back in line.

The only really serious candidates are St. Louis, San Diego and Oakland. I could be wrong but I think it's been that way since Khan went to Jax and Kroenke to St Louis. I think NFL fate would have been different if Khan would have bought the Rams. This guy is fun. Big visionary. He is snatching up land around the stadium and wants to do what Kraft did at Foxborough.

It's been a different ballgame since Khan bought the team. Especially after Gus was hired. I haven't seen this city this energized since the mid 90's. The kids are grown up. The Bold City Brigade had one of the biggest presence at the draft. All 20 and 30 somethings. All of this coming off 2 and 4 win seasons.
They still hawk deeply discounted season tickets to University of North Florida "students" for even less than the cheapest Raiders season package.

http://unfspinnaker.com/students-flock-to-jaguars-season-ticket-presale-event/

I used quotes since the student only has to be the name on the account, so they could in theory buy four seats for their family and friends. Plus, they aren't charging for the preseason too.

They still hawk deeply discounted season tickets to University of North Florida "students" for even less than the cheapest Raiders season package.

http://unfspinnaker.com/students-flock-to-jaguars-season-ticket-presale-event/

I used quotes since the student only has to be the name on the account, so they could in theory buy four seats for their family and friends. Plus, they aren't charging for the preseason too.

Yup, hook the youth that will have disposable income one day. Smart marketing like that for the last three years is one of many reasons why the Jags are getting calls from other teams asking how to sell tickets. Selling tickets is a league wide issue. Right now, not in Jacksonville. Mark Lamping knows his stuff.

This guy is fun. Big visionary. He is snatching up land around the stadium and wants to do what Kraft did at Foxborough.

What, build a lifestyle mall? What's visionary about a Gap next to a Panera?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived