NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think San Diego will be the one to stay. It seems recently like San Diego is letting Comic-Con walk to Anaheim or Vegas, freeing up money for a Chargers stadium.

How does that free up $1B?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think San Diego will be the one to stay. It seems recently like San Diego is letting Comic-Con walk to Anaheim or Vegas, freeing up money for a Chargers stadium.

How does that free up $1B?

They were going to spend $500M on convention center expansion to keep Comic-Con. The way that they were going to raise that money was ruled unconstitutional and that's why the project is dead and there would be questions about raising similar amounts of money for a stadium... but that project is dead and frees up money and political capital for a stadium. They may even smoosh the two projects together. If you build the stadium right, you could use it as convention space (and that is a proposal).

The gubment isn't going to spend $1B by themselves on a stadium; you have to at least make it look like the team isn't getting a sweetheart deal to screw over the taxpayers.

Of the three, the Chargers have the best chance of staying. Not only is San Diego more economically stable than Oakland and St. Louis, but the other two teams actually have more of a following in LA despite the Chargers trying to claim LA the way the Packers claim Milwaukee.

Which one of the 3 do you think will stay?

The Raiders.

The Rams are, I believe, as good as gone. And I somehow think that Oakland will be crazy enough to build a stadium, even if it means losing the A's.

San Diego has had a decade to build a new stadium for the Chargers, but there's absolutely no political will. I tend to think that Spanos will lose patience after the Rams unveil their shiny new LA stadium and become the second tenant.

I wonder if there's any possibility St. Louis, Oakland, or San Diego will try to pull a Cleveland if their team moves meaning try to keep the identity and force them to come up with a new one in LA.

Not a chance since all 3 have history in LA.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I've recently become more pessimistic about the Rams chances of staying, though I'd still put it as more likely than not that they do.

But with their continued ineptitude on the field (winning today was nice, but in no way something that inspires much hope for more winning), they're doing nothing to build a fan base that will fill the dome or to create a public attachment that might further encourage public officials to get something done.

I've never believed filling the dome means much other than the fact that it gives the a BS excuse to point to if they do leave. But drumming up public interest does matter if they're going to get public money, and I think that's true even if they avoid a public vote. Public servants will have to be convinced the public cares, and why the hell would the public care?

And then, for me personally, I'm done with football. I'm done with the NFL. The only thing keeping me connected to this stupid sport is my irrational loyalty for the Rams and the Illini. (And with those two teams being the two I care about, it only serves to make me hate football more and more every week...) I can't seem to break that irrational link, so a Rams move would be like setting me free. I don't think I'd have any trouble finding the positive in that if it comes to fruition.

Besides, then we could invest our money in more prudent things.

In any case, I'm not sure anything has actually changed. I think it's still just a slow moving situation. I don't think there's much chance at all the Rams will be gone by next season, and if that's true, then I don't think anything is decided at all because the talks will continue.

Hey Oakland Please keep the Raiders. PLEASE.

Fixed that for yah
No, no, no. I insist. You can have them.

No, please. That's so kind of you, but we couldn't bare to see you live without them. I mean, c'mon.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/how-to-pay-for-a-new-bills-stadium-20140920

Here's a new article today about Bills stadium finances, and stadium-building in general. The Bills Fan Alliance loan program appears to be kosher per the NFL (based on previous articles on it), and the Bass Pro thing at the end is a local joke, just in case you're reading. It included this handy little graphic:

EP-140929801.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ACCORDING TO PEOPLE ON TWITTER (I have not heard the segment), St. Louis radio personality Randy Karraker stated on the radio today (he's a host on 101 ESPN St. Louis, rights holder of Rams broadcasts) that he has heard form a solid source that a Rams move is a done deal and will be announced in February.

Karraker is a sports personality and NOT a reporter. However, he's also not a blow hard shock jock, and he's a diehard St. Louis sports fan, including a St. Louis Rams fan.

What this means is he probably has a source, and he probably believes it's good info. But it's not the sort of report we can take as concrete. It's eyebrow raising at the very least.

Among the possibilities beyond "he's right" or "he's wrong" could be that the Rams have leaked this in a ploy to get things moving in St. Louis. I have no idea, what's going on.

And I'm pretty beat down by the whole league (let alone continued losing) — as I posted above — that I pretty much don't care anymore. Or perhaps better worded, I don't have a major preference any more. I just want it to be decided so St. Louis can move on.

EDIT: There's a segment here in which he's discussing it with his co-hosts (Brad Thompson, former Cardinals pitcher, and D'Marco Farr, former Rams defensive lineman), but I've yet to hear Karraker actually make anything more than a statement of pessimism that they stay. So I still haven't tracked down the source: https://soundcloud.com/101sports/the-fast-lane-september-30-1 (starts around 18:00).

EDIT 2: Found it. Go to about 28:55 of that clip above.

If this is true, October would be the time to leak it, when the Cardinals are in the playoffs, the Blues are getting ready to contend for a title, and the Rams are already pretty much out of it. But yeah, I hope they rip the band-aid off.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived