NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

Any word on if the Niners will keep San Francisco as their name?

It sounds silly not to, but Santa Clara is roughly 40 miles from SF and it's basically affixed to another major city in San Jose.

It's not like the Jets and Giants playing East Rutherford, because that's all metro NYC; Pistons playing in Auburn Hills; etc, etc. The Bay area contains 3 major centres in SF, Oakland and San Jose.

It would kind of seem weird if they changed the name but also weird if they kept it, if that makes sense.

People keep asking this across this and other boards. The team have no plans to change the name and have stated as such repeatedly. They will remain the San Francisco 49ers after the move. They've never even entertained the idea of changing their name and the city of Santa Clara has never asked them to. And as others have pointed out it makes sense. The entire region is the San Francisco Bay Area (always has been), SF being the region's second largest and anchor city, and they've always represented the area and will continue to do so even after the move.

The A's on the other hand will be contractually obligated to change their name to the San Jose Athletics. Which makes sense since they'll no longer be in the east bay and will be in a city 2x larger than Oakland (and it's not the "Oakland Bay Area").

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Vikings, there is a new city in the relocation sweepstakes:

As the Vikings push the state of Minnesota for help in replacing the Metrodome, spokesman Lester Bagley said another U.S. city other than Los Angeles has contacted the team about possibly relocating, according to the Star Tribune.

Bagley, the team's vice president of stadium development and public affairs, revealed that the Vikings had a second suitor during a Tuesday hearing at the state Capitol, where two state Senate panels focused on funding possibilities and whether or not to help publicly fund a new stadium.

Bagley wasn't pressed by legislators during the hearing to elaborate on his claim, and he afterward declined to identify the city that had called the Vikings.

"We would let that city speak for themselves," said Bagley, who added the city had approached the team over the past year. "I don't think it's our place to say who it is."

Anybody care to speculate?

Jags makes more $ than 19 other teams annually

Sure Forbes has the Jags as the least valuable franchise, but the number that really matters is the annual operating income or annual earnings. Forbes has the Jags annual income at $32.8 million tied with the Colts. Thats more operating income than bigger market teams like the Eagles, Broncos, Steelers, Jets, Ravens, and Packers. It also shows that the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions were the only teams that lost money at -2.9 million and -$7.7 million.

Troubling news if you want this team to go.

As the Vikings push the state of Minnesota for help in replacing the Metrodome, spokesman Lester Bagley said another U.S. city other than Los Angeles has contacted the team about possibly relocating, according to the Star Tribune.

Bagley, the team's vice president of stadium development and public affairs, revealed that the Vikings had a second suitor during a Tuesday hearing at the state Capitol, where two state Senate panels focused on funding possibilities and whether or not to help publicly fund a new stadium.

Bagley wasn't pressed by legislators during the hearing to elaborate on his claim, and he afterward declined to identify the city that had called the Vikings.

"We would let that city speak for themselves," said Bagley, who added the city had approached the team over the past year. "I don't think it's our place to say who it is."

San Antonio, yeah? It'd almost have to be somewhere in the south and almost definitely in Texas. I think the northeast, west and middle of the country are officially tapped out on publicly financed stadia.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

San Antonio, yeah? It'd almost have to be somewhere in the south and almost definitely in Texas. I think the northeast, west and middle of the country are officially tapped out on publicly financed stadia.

Well, if it's not LA, I'm thinking San Antonio as well.

Maybe Vegas is kicking the tires too.

Obvious choice is San Antonio. They have that nice still near mint condition dome just sitting there waiting for a team (and has been since 93) in the heart of football country in Texas. And from all accounts it's a much nicer stadium than places like the Metrodome, Raymond James, etc... The other sleeper option is probably Vegas. If they ever get that replacement for Sam Boyd Stadium built it would be a real attractive landing spot for an NFL team.

What about Chicago?

The Windy City's always been a dark horse for a second NFL team. The market would definitely be able to accomodate a second team although it'd be bizarre for the Vikings to more to their divisional rivals' backyard. Not likely but it's definitely a possibility.

I'd love for San Antonio to finally get an NFL team but until the Alamodome is significantly upgraded, it won't happen anytime soon.

GR30a5H.png

Troubling news if you want this team to go.

No, though it may make Mr. Khan's work a little more difficult.

I want to make sure I have this right. The Jags easily make money. They lead the state in attendance. Their facilities are top notch. They are in a state with no taxes. This guy from Pakistan is going to trash it all, lose a boat load of money doing so, just so he can move them to St. Louis? The Bucs had 40k Sunday. The Bungals are showing success and still cant get over the 80% mark in attendance. These teams should go.

I want to make sure I have this right. The Jags easily make money. They lead the state in attendance. Their facilities are top notch. They are in a state with no taxes. This guy from Pakistan is going to trash it all, lose a boat load of money doing so, just so he can move them to St. Louis? The Bucs had 40k Sunday. The Bungals are showing success and still cant get over the 80% mark in attendance. These teams should go.

"This guy from Pakistan"? :blink:

Really? That's where you're going to go?

If we're to speak bluntly, the Jags can't even sell out their stadium for a Monday Night game to welcome the new owner. The team has to buy up tickets to avoid blackouts. Way to show support there.

And this isn't a "put a good product on the field" problem. Last year, the Jags were fighting for a playoff spot when they welcomed the Redskins to town in Week 16, welcomed them with rows and rows of empty seats:

09000d5d81d34e75_gallery_600.jpg

That was for a team in the playoff hunt.

I'm sorry, but there's no spin on that one. Unless half the stadium was in the bathroom at the time?

I think so. But I don't see an NFL team moving there without heavy renovation and possibly not at all. The Alamodome, Ed, and GA Dome are almost the same age and of similar styles.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

St. Louis be contingency planning yo! :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What about Chicago?

The Windy City's always been a dark horse for a second NFL team. The market would definitely be able to accomodate a second team although it'd be bizarre for the Vikings to more to their divisional rivals' backyard. Not likely but it's definitely a possibility.

Ummm. No. Never going to happen. Emperor Daley II only pitched the idea of a second NFL team to help get buy in for his personal vanity project, the 2016 Olympics. Chicago is a Bears town and any newcomer would die a horrible, painful death. FWIW the Packers have a death grip on the " :censored: the Bears" portion of the Chicago populace.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, I look at a second Chicago football team the way I do a second baseball team in Boston.

Those cities aren't crazy about the sport so much as they are about their teams. The Red Sox sell out not because there's a huge demand for baseball that another team could tap but because there's a huge demand for the Sox that another team could not.

Chicago is a Bears town. No other team could really survive there.

"This guy from Pakistan"? :blink:

Really? That's where you're going to go?

If we're to speak bluntly, the Jags can't even sell out their stadium for a Monday Night game to welcome the new owner. The team has to buy up tickets to avoid blackouts. Way to show support there.

And this isn't a "put a good product on the field" problem. Last year, the Jags were fighting for a playoff spot when they welcomed the Redskins to town in Week 16, welcomed them with rows and rows of empty seats:

First off, where was I trying to go with the Pakistan comment? He isn't from St. Louis. Don't think he has as much St. Louis pride as you think.

B. Jags are at 92% capacity for the year. Leads the state of Florida. Not far from GB's 96%. TB is 84%, Miami is 78%, St. Louis is 86%. People show up. When you see empty seats in the middle of Everbank it's because they get to go inside Here.This isn't 09 but some media still thinks it is. Like that PFT hack. Chris Mortensen knows. Next Wednesday or Thursday you are going to get some news from Khan you will not like.

BTW, over 63k were counted at that redskin game.

Archived