NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

The Falcons are set to move into an open air stadium right down the road from the dome in 2017 if they can get the thing approved.

"If they can get the thing approved" in this case meaning if they can get public financing, which the city's elders have said isn't going to happen anytime soon, given the relative youth of the Georgia Dome.

Pretty much. I'm not holding my breath at all for the Falcons to move out of the Dome any time soon. They're in that one for the long haul.

It's weird considering the fact that it's a young stadium, but it's already outdated since it was built after the cookie cutter era but before the new crop of stadiums showed up. As long as they keep making renovations, it'll be okay, but it's far behind when it comes to other stadiums' quality.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's wrong with the Georgia Dome as it is right now? Also, another potentially dumb question: what's stopping them from ripping off the roof if they want an open air stadium?

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 150 to 200 million payout would be required to cover lost revenue from advertising, naming rights, parking, concessions, and rental payments that would be required under the terms of the lease. This goes to the city.

That's stipulated in the lease, and I don't think the city can't refuse the payment.

However, that amount doesn't take into account the fact that there would be a legal fight to keep the team from breaking the lease. In order to break the lease, there are two loopholes that would activate exit clauses.

One stipulates that the city must maintain the facility. That's not an issue here, and trying to prove otherwise would require the Jaguars to go before a judge and actually prove that the city isn't living up to the maintenance requirements of the lease. Considering the amount of money invested by the city in maintaining and updating the stadium, that's probably not very likely.

The other loophole revolves around the team PROVING they have been operating at a loss for 3 years. I know many here have indicated that's easy to do. Just do a little razzle dazzle with accounting tricks, or bonuses and such, and you can prove a loss. It's not that easy.

The team would be required to present all of their financials for an audit that would be ordered by a judge. That means they'd have to show their true financial situation and not just the portion they use to determine what the overall revenue is for the team. Owners have balked at the notion of fully opening their books. Simply stated, most teams cook their books using those accounting tricks in order to minimize the overall profit that is reported to the NFLPA.

The players would LOVE to see the Jaguars try to prove their loss in court because of the can of worms it would open up league wide. No team wants to show their books, but if one does, and it exposes some of the dirty little secrets of how the owners hide certain revenue from the equation used to determine the salary cap, the labor meltdown that would follow would make the lockout this year seem like childs play.

When the league changed the rules for relocation following the Cleveland move, they did so to prevent teams like Jacksonville from bailing on their current market unless they had a facility issue, or their existing lease had expired.

When Wayne signed the lease extension with the city the last time, he pushed to assure that the wording of the deal made it as close to iron clad as possible. His goal was to quiet all of the relocation talk. That worked really well.

The Falcons are set to move into an open air stadium right down the road from the dome in 2017 if they can get the thing approved.

"If they can get the thing approved" in this case meaning if they can get public financing, which the city's elders have said isn't going to happen anytime soon, given the relative youth of the Georgia Dome.

Pretty much. I'm not holding my breath at all for the Falcons to move out of the Dome any time soon. They're in that one for the long haul.

It's weird considering the fact that it's a young stadium, but it's already outdated since it was built after the cookie cutter era but before the new crop of stadiums showed up. As long as they keep making renovations, it'll be okay, but it's far behind when it comes to other stadiums' quality.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what's wrong with the Georgia Dome as it is right now? Also, another potentially dumb question: what's stopping them from ripping off the roof if they want an open air stadium?

The roof wont come off probably because it serves a multipurpose function. The host basketball, other indoor events, and I think the convention center for Atlanta is attached.

The players would LOVE to see the Jaguars try to prove their loss in court because of the can of worms it would open up league wide. No team wants to show their books, but if one does, and it exposes some of the dirty little secrets of how the owners hide certain revenue from the equation used to determine the salary cap, the labor meltdown that would follow would make the lockout this year seem like childs play.

Perhaps the union is unaware that there is an NFL team which does in fact open its books every single year? Haven't had a meltdown yet....

I like how they mention the "he's buying a home in Florida" as if that's somehow makes him more likely to keep the team there. Pretty every rich person in the country has land in Florida.

I don't think the new ownership helps or hurts the Jags chances of moving to LA in the slightest. I'm not buying this is a guy with any connections to the Jacksonville area, meaning he could probably care less about the city, he just wants to own an NFL team. I'm sure he would like to move the team to LA. I don't see why anyone would prefer owning an NFL team that plays in Jacksonville over one that plays in LA, but there's other issues at hand that will prevent him from doing that which have already been beaten to death on this board so I'm not going to bother repeating them.

Perhaps the union is unaware that there is an NFL team which does in fact open its books every single year? Haven't had a meltdown yet....

Yep. The financials of Green Bay Packers, Inc. are an open secret - if you're a shareholder, all you have to do is request a copy, and there's nothing anyone can do to force shareholders not to divulge the data if they want to.

nav-logo.png

Yep. The financials of Green Bay Packers, Inc. are an open secret - if you're a shareholder, all you have to do is request a copy, and there's nothing anyone can do to force shareholders not to divulge the data if they want to.

Drives the NFL owners crazy as well. That's why you will never see a publically owned team again in major pro sports in the United States.

I'm really hoping he just moves them to LA and flips them for the Rams, keeping them in St. Louis. I don't wanna have to all of sudden start cheering for a new team. Let them take the Rams spot in the NFC West and the Rams can take theirs in the AFC South. B)

You don't have to cheer for the city. Just follow the team.

Mings can stop me if I'm wrong, but I assume the roof serves some structural function and simply ripping it off might be...not so simple.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'll say this about St. Louis: There's probably no place that better honors its shared NFL history better than that city does with the Cardinals and Rams. Make room for that teal Brunell, Boselli, etc. in that ring of honor...

On a side note, if this plays out, should a new team's colors be blue and gold while the Rams return to yellow? Or perhaps navy and teal would be a good fit... ah, so easy to speculate on the possibilities.

I definitely agree with this. The Rams' St. Louis Football Ring of Honor was one of the 1st things I thought of when I logged on this site last spring after the Thrashers moved and found a huge debate over Jets 2.0. I'm think the only reason that debate happens is because they changed the name back to Jets. If the Phoenix Jets were floundering in the desert right now, the Manitoba Moose could recognize Winnipeg Pro Hockey history without much controversy.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

If you read the espn article with all of Weaver's quotes, how he says the Jags will be there long term, how Kahn is committed to the area and buying a house there, how he reiterated to Weaver that he was keeping them there, and Weaver saying he turned down LA because he wanted them in Jacksonville, you get the feeling a move is eminent and that he's setting himself up to deflect any blame and negative press.

Glad I wasn't the only one who got that feeling. I honestly think it was Weaver more than the lease that was keeping the Jags in Jacksonville. And with him gone that big reason is now gone.

Mings can stop me if I'm wrong, but I assume the roof serves some structural function and simply ripping it off might be...not so simple.

I'm no architect, but I had my own Tear The Roof Off This Sucker proposals explained to me at this very board: closed domes aren't designed with drainage systems, which becomes eminently clear when roofs spring leaks and water comes cascading down the staircases.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm no architect, but I had my own Tear The Roof Off This Sucker proposals explained to me at this very board: closed domes aren't designed with drainage systems, which becomes eminently clear when roofs spring leaks and water comes cascading down the staircases.

Exactly, they are not plumbed to get rid of rainfall. The roof has gutters to rid it of rainwater/snowfall.

I think I said that on either a thread about the Pontiac Silverdome or Georgia Dome. It was way before the Metrodome collapsed a year ago.

My impression of how the sell of the Jaguars was handled:

Wayne Weaver: "Jack Del Rio has been relieved of his coaching duties. Oh yea, and by the way, the team's being sold."

It seemed played down when it was announced, but that's just me.

Archived