Like, omigod! The most 1980s uniforms ever!

johnnysama

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Panthers called their color scheme plum, champagne and sky blue. I had a difficult time telling if "champagne" was supposed to be a light silver or a gold similar to vegas gold. For all of the unique designs of the 80s, for the most part they stayed within the usual color realm of black, blue and red with occasional silvers and golds/yellows. The Panthers colors were the first that I can recall that stepped out of the box. Even the other USFL teams stuck with basic colors. The Washington Federals had a green-blue thing going on and the Jacksonville Bulls came in during the second season with maroon, orange and silver. But for the most part, it was black, blue, red, gold/yellow just like everyone else.

Would like to submit another one:

CFL_SSK_Jersey_1985.png

This is the version of the "green-black-silver" version of the Roughriders' look I like the most. But it is very 80s and would look outdated on the field today.

Extra emphasis on speaking like a Valley Girl in the topic title to drive my point home. So, here's a counterpart to the most 1990s uniforms ever thread, one about the 1980s.

Where do I start? These uniforms are the 1980s-esque ever, to the max! (I promise this will be the last time in this thread, or on these boards, I will speak that way.)

Canucks10.png

Funny, I always associated those with the 1970's and the flying skate with the 1980's even though the V spent as much time in the '80's (1980 to 1984) as the flying skate jersey (1985-1989).

houston-astros-uniform.jpg

how are people in this world not advanced enough to remember these

That's a bit more of a 70's design. The 80's would give us these (which I like a little more in their 90's button-front/belted form):

Young_Gerald_03.jpg

While it's still a little crazy, it's a reined-in version of a 70's look. Heck, one of the big aesthetics in 80's baseball was toning down 70's craziness while keeping some less-than-desirable elements around (i.e. pullovers, beltless pants, and powder blue road uniforms):

al_1985_oakland.gifnl_1986_atlanta.gif

Some teams went for button-front jerseys and belted pants, but still divorced themselves from traditional aesthetics (be it through fonts or shadowing):

giants_285.jpgmlb_g_junior_cr_400.jpg

Of course, by the time 1987 rolled around, many teams began the shift towards more traditional looks and away from the 70's craziness. While some teams should not have deviated too much from their pre-70's aesthetics (i.e. Giants, Braves, Cardinals), I really wish some of that era's colorfulness had stuck around in some form or another.

Yes! I was hoping someone would start this eventually.

In my opinion, there were three big trends to the 1980s; some teams participated in some and others in others: 1. "Throwing back" to a simpler look for some teams, or maintaining tradition for others; 2. On the other side of that coin, early stages of the experimentation, weird designs, and bright colors we'd see in the 1990s; 3. Harder to explain than the other two, but straight-line, multicolored striping. (Think of the stripes on the Redskins' pants for an example of this, or the Seahawks' sleeves, logo aside, in the first post.) And let's add another for good measure: 4. (Mainly NFL) Team logos on uniforms, not just helmets. (Seahawks again, but they weren't the only ones. I suspect the tech had just come into play to cheaply affix logos to football jerseys and pants without making them stand out too much from the rest of the uni.)

Good points, and generally speaking, I prefer the mid 70s to mid 80s design styles to today. Definitely a fan of wider striping, and team names seemed to "pop" better on most of those older uniforms. I don't understand the trend of smaller lettering on some college football and basketball uniforms.

This is a double. Hip numbers and shoeless kickers.mike_lansford_1986_01_04.jpg

The blues in that Rams uniforms almost match. I don't remember that.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived