Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Canadian fanbases once mock non-traditional hockey markets because of their fans doing The Wave during games? Both the Vancouver and Calgary crowds have done The Wave during this series.....

If you're waiting for someone to defend Vancouver, keep waiting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Re: the admiral. We don't have a HFBoards-like thread for reddit so this will have to do.

I will lurk on the hockey subreddit on reddit to get some news or whatever people use reddit for. A new(?) hockey fan asks why your boys, the Hurricanes went from champs to unknowns. Some interesting answers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/335xwk/how_did_the_hurricanes_go_from_a_stanley_cup_to/

I found this part of an answer funny,

The difference is that unlike Edmonton, or Buffalo, or wherever, I don't see the fanbase giving up. We're tired, we're frustrated, but the team WANTS to do well. You can see it. They skate hard with every team that they play. They trashed the Flyers, took STL to a shootout, and when they do lose, its usually by one goal. They want to win. We want them to win. It's just very hard when we have uncooperative *richardheads eating up $7M/year.

*My edit.

So I opened that thread just now and got to what I thought was a pretty good explanation of their problems (weak fanbase, bland and toothless roster), only to find out it was merely the first half of the post you quoted! How odd.

I would add that the Hurricanes also exploited a bug-feature in The New NHL whereby they cashed in a lot of the power plays that were being handed out for so much as looking at someone the wrong way. As obstruction came back into the game, they couldn't compete, because Karmanos and Rutherford are nothing but Red Wing wannabes and their idea of hockey a poor xerox of what Detroit does. What they lost in the process, of course, is that the Wings may abhor fighting majors but have never shied from physicality (Carolina seems to), and while the franchise itself may play in Michigan, they don't require that the players were raised or played collegiate in Michigan (Carolina seems to).

But really, this is a playoff thread and the year is not 2006 or 2009. We shouldn't be marring this thread with the Carolina Hurricanes.

I think the brawls are getting out of hand. But whatever, it wouldn't be the playoffs with out some hot garbage from Alex Burrows and Dan Hamhuis to boot.

It could always be worse (Raffi Torres, Lapierre, etc.)

That is true. Burrows will always resonate with people for the bites and just total rattiness though.

The Canucks really need to flush the remnants of that 2011 team and build an identity that involves playing hockey. Not one that attempts to purposely injure opposing players after failing to show up for a crucial playoff game... Really thought things would be different this year under Benning... Burrows, you are an absolute disgrace!

The Wild just put two quick goals behind Allen after the first 30 minutes went without a goal, and lead 2-0 at the second intermission.

My prediction: If they hold on to win this game, they beat the Blues in six - but if they manage to blow it and the Blues win, the Wild don't recover from the gut punch and lose the series in six, maybe even five.

CCSLC signature.png

God for all of that bull :censored: about toughness and physicality, this team sure folds the second the going gets slightly tough.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Granlund just missed a wide-open net that would probably have cinched this game for Minnesota. As a certain old war-horse would have put it, "I have a bad feeling about this..."

CCSLC signature.png

Dustin Byfuglien just punched Corey Perry in the back of the head after Perry scored. You can't do that.

Actually, you can if it's Corey Perry.

Blues pull Allen, and this time Niederreiter didn't miss the open net. Then Ott just got in three cheap shots on Scandella, got tossed (and may hear from the league office soon) and the Wild finish the game on the power play with a 3-0 win.

The Wild didn't get a single penalty the entire game, despite the Blues' best efforts to bait them into one.

Update: Dubnyk only faced 17 shots the entire game. Great performance by the Wild defense tonight.

CCSLC signature.png

It's amazing how teams can not generate any offense against the Wild at Xcel in the playoffs.

Good luck winning there. Keep in mind, Chicago only got a win there because Crawford stole a game and they got a fortunate OT bounce.

Colorado only had a 12 shot game there last year. The Blues had less than 20 tonight.

If they can just get one road win, they might seriously win it all.

They've been downright invincible at home in the playoffs recently defensively.

Refresh my memory.

How the :censored: did Ken Hitchcock win a Stanley Cup again?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived