Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

Can't wait for the Ducks annual second round flameout

I can't wait for the Canuck fan riots after the finals.

“Well, then let's hope the Tigers don't win the World Series, cause then their fans will riot like it's 1984”. (I set myself up for that, so I figured that we'd just get that out of the way)

FWIW, I was at that riot in 1984. I never wanted to get away from a stadium so badly in my life. The worst part of it was watching a bunch of hooligans shaking and rocking a bus filled with senior citizens. I mean who does that?

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait for the Canuck fan riots after the finals.

“Well, then let's hope the Tigers don't win the World Series, cause then their fans will riot like it's 1984”. (I set myself up for that, so I figured that we'd just get that out of the way)

FWIW, I was at that riot in 1984. I never wanted to get away from a stadium so badly in my life. The worst part of it was watching a bunch of hooligans shaking and rocking a bus filled with senior citizens. I mean who does that?

Detroiters. :(

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

"Katy Perry" is the worst chant I've ever heard. You'd think with all the libraries and culture they supposedly have up there they'd come up with something better. Those hosers had 20 years to plan for this, and all they came up with was wearing the same color shirts that the road team wore.

It's not even just that the shirts match the road team, it's that they make it easier for opposing goalies to see the puck. I don't mind teams having a "[insert color here]-out," but a hockey team having a "white-out" is one of the most counterintuitive gimmicks in sports.
...doesn't that help both goalies?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"Katy Perry" is the worst chant I've ever heard. You'd think with all the libraries and culture they supposedly have up there they'd come up with something better. Those hosers had 20 years to plan for this, and all they came up with was wearing the same color shirts that the road team wore.

It's not even just that the shirts match the road team, it's that they make it easier for opposing goalies to see the puck. I don't mind teams having a "[insert color here]-out," but a hockey team having a "white-out" is one of the most counterintuitive gimmicks in sports.
...doesn't that help both goalies?

Having played the game I can tell you there was never a noticeable difference between the places where the backdrop was a darker color versus light. We also would play a team who wore (illegal) solid black socks for every game as a means to disguise the puck. It didn't work and we beat them like a drum every time. When you're playing it's a three-dimensional game and most of the time the goal-tender's eye level is fixated on the playing surface where the puck is 99.9% of the time. That playing surface is bright white in every rink at the competitive level. Even a rising shot from the point still comes in with the boards as the background.

The difference is negligible between a crowd dressed in color versus a crowd in white. Winnipeg invented the white-out. They're not going to not do the white-out after all this time.

Also, there were 9 goals scored last night. If the white background provided an advantage to the goal tenders wouldn't it have been a 7 overtime 1-0 affair?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, trashing the Winnipeg whiteout is dumb when you consider that they invented the whole "______out" thing in the first place.

The crowd went quiet because they remembered they still live in Winnipeg.

I like how The Six is both an inversion and personification of the Ugly American stereotype. He's all things to all people.

No offense, but Vancouver/Calgary are not exactly the LA Kings. If anything, Anaheim won't have Canuck/Flames fans invading the pond en masse.

Really, I think the Anaheim early exit flameout stuff is a little overblown.

Yeah, trashing the Winnipeg whiteout is dumb when you consider that they invented the whole "______out" thing in the first place.

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the Winnipeg whiteout bit. I enjoyed the hell out of the Winnipeg crowd last night. Wish we could reach that level in Columbus.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the Winnipeg whiteout bit. I enjoyed the hell out of the Winnipeg crowd last night. Wish we could reach that level in Columbus.

Oh the Winnipeg whiteout is one of the coolest things in sports. I was so happy to see those people so excited and then Anaheim killed it because there is no such thing as a good narrative in sports anymore.

And not for nothing, but Game 4 against Pittsburgh last year is the single loudest place I've ever been. I couldn't hear the guy next to me and I didn't notice the cannon go off. Easily my favorite sporting event I've ever attended.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Oh the Winnipeg whiteout is one of the coolest things in sports. I was so happy to see those people so excited and then Anaheim killed it because there is no such thing as a good narrative in sports anymore.

They had no right to be happy. They stole their team from Atlanta and wanted to steal a team from Phoenix and they had the temerity to think they could beat a +7 Ducks team that crapped the bed the last two years after finishing first or second. They should act like they've been there before, even though there hasn't been a Stanley Cup game in Winnipeg for 19 years and lots of those people literally have never been there before. Sun Belt Solidarity 4ever.

And not for nothing, but Game 4 against Pittsburgh last year is the single loudest place I've ever been. I couldn't hear the guy next to me and I didn't notice the cannon go off. Easily my favorite sporting event I've ever attended.

Yeah, the Jackets crowd was incredible in the playoffs last season - and I think Jackets fans have worked their way into being among the better "non-traditional" fans in the league. I was under the impression that Winnipeg fans are pretty great throughout the season. That's what I was referring to when I said I'd like to see us reach that level. Not saying Jackets fans aren't pretty great already, I'd just like to see the sustained level of...devotion, I guess, that we see in the "hardcore" hockey markets. Does that make sense?

BB52Big.jpg

I don't think central Ohio is non-traditional at all. There are two big college hockey programs nearby. One's down the street. It's just a small market and hard to stay jazzed about a team that misses the playoffs all the time.

Maybe if Winnipeg stopped taking penalties and learned how to close out games, then they could have the happy narrative you all want them to have. And really, at least its the Ducks (who have decent narrative of their own, thanks) and not Los Angeles or San Jose or Chicago or something.

The Jets do have another shot to win their home playoff game and feel good about themselves, but as it stands, they have a 7-game playoff losing streak.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, the Jackets crowd was incredible in the playoffs last season - and I think Jackets fans have worked their way into being among the better "non-traditional" fans in the league. I was under the impression that Winnipeg fans are pretty great throughout the season. That's what I was referring to when I said I'd like to see us reach that level. Not saying Jackets fans aren't pretty great already, I'd just like to see the sustained level of...devotion, I guess, that we see in the "hardcore" hockey markets. Does that make sense?

Yeah that makes sense. I think we'll get there. We had a big attendance growth this year and appear to be crawling out of the attendance basement.

More proof that winning cures all. The dopes inside and outside of Columbus that were calling for the team to move have disappeared. You don't hear a peep from them anymore. It's nice because now I can just watch the games and I don't have to worry about the lower bowl looking empty or going into each season hoping that this time this season will save the franchise. We're past all of that nonsense. It's a real load off.

PvO6ZWJ.png

the Ducks (who have decent narrative of their own, thanks)

What, the redemption of Ryan Kesler? That's about as in demand as tacos at a Greek diner.

Maybe if Winnipeg stopped taking penalties and learned how to close out games, then they could have the happy narrative you all want them to have. And really, at least its the Ducks (who have decent narrative of their own, thanks) and not Los Angeles or San Jose or Chicago or something.

The Jets do have another shot to win their home playoff game and feel good about themselves, but as it stands, they have a 7-game playoff losing streak.

Learn to embrace the role of the villain ;)

the Ducks (who have decent narrative of their own, thanks)

What, the redemption of Ryan Kesler? That's about as in demand as tacos at a Greek diner.

Amen. Him getting the tying goal was the worst part of last night.

Just saw the goaltender interference by Paquette - To me yeah, you can call that a Penalty on Paquette, but you also should give Mrazek a penalty - how come the goalie can initiate contact, but Players must avoid contact with the goalie? To me it's similar to a NBA player with ball jumping into the defender. If Referees keep rewarding plays like this by goalies, you may have a flop fest instead of a hockey game.

Archived