Rite of Spring '15: exhume our idols! bury our friends!

The_Admiral

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it crazy we used to stop games because a pass crossed two lines?

Why was that ever a rule?

A good rule of thumb: if there's a rule that every single person "turns off" in the video game version of your sport, it probably deserves some reevaluation.

Heck, I remember playing NHL 94-97 for the Genesis as a kid, none of those even had the two-line pass in the game. Then suddenly I get the new NHL '98, and there it is out of nowhere! I remember thinking something like, "What the heck is this crap?"

The Rangers are shoving anthem singer John Amirante and his toupee out the door after 35 years of service. I hope the Islanders invite him to sing in Brooklyn. I love that guy's anthem.

20 more minutes and the Nassau Coliseum is going to become a very uncomfortable place.

WAY TO JINX IT

Islanders do their usual Islanders blowing lead thing, but I mean the Isles got manhandled the whole game anyway. I'm fine with it 1-1 heading into the Coliseum if they play the way they did

Game 1 and about six minutes of the 1st and 2nd periods

Tomorrow should be fun though at the Coliseum. Maybe it was because Fluery couldn't stop a beach ball that series, but those Pens-Isles games 2 years ago were so much fun with that crowd; those 3 games could've gone either way. I'll won't be able to see it, but it should be very loud.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

A good rule of thumb: if there's a rule that every single person "turns off" in the video game version of your sport, it probably deserves some reevaluation.

Heck, I remember playing NHL 94-97 for the Genesis as a kid, none of those even had the two-line pass in the game. Then suddenly I get the new NHL '98, and there it is out of nowhere! I remember thinking something like, "What the heck is this crap?"

Those were some fun games. I burned hours upon hours playing those games. Every year a new NHL game came out for the Sega, I threw myself at EA and said, "take my money...take it all!"

I always turned off penalties. I don't recall if I could turn off offsides, icing or 2 line pass. Seems like i remember turning those rules off. I might have.

and to go back down memory lane for those that got to play the mid 90s NHL games:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Those were some fun games. I burned hours upon hours playing those games. Every year a new NHL game came out for the Sega, I threw myself at EA and said, "take my money...take it all!"

I always turned off penalties. I don't recall if I could turn off offsides, icing or 2 line pass. Seems like i remember turning those rules off. I might have.

and to go back down memory lane for those that got to play the mid 90s NHL games:

I sadly watched that entire thing hoping for some excitement. The OT winner was kind of derp, but oh well. Brought back a flood of memories, all of them good.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Regarding the ticket policy: Why the hell not?

I dunno, I guess I thought Tennessee believed in the free market. They sure did when they built all those non-union auto plants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Holy cow, what awful goaltending by Holtby on that overtime goal. Kicks out the rebound, Caps defender taps it back towards him, Holtby swipes it away to the right with his stick, just stares at it as Tavares shoots it behind him, and Holtby turns THE OTHER DIRECTION to watch the puck go behind him. All he has to do once he swipes it away is close down the post or even lunge to his right rather than spinning around, and they're still playing.

But hey, I'm happy for the Islanders and happy it was Tavares. They're fun.

Also, NBC changed its camera position at Nassau. It was on the right blue line rather than the left. Strange.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Holy cow, what awful goaltending by Holtby on that overtime goal. Kicks out the rebound, Caps defender taps it back towards him, Holtby swipes it away to the right with his stick, just stares at it as Tavares shoots it behind him, and Holtby turns THE OTHER DIRECTION to watch the puck go behind him. All he has to do once he swipes it away is close down the post or even lunge to his right rather than spinning around, and they're still playing.

I was honestly shocked at that play, especially since Holtby had gone 39/40 during the game and was one of the few reasons why the Caps even had a chance to take the game.

He also played the puck with Isle pressure in the zone, and it was quickly turned over. There was a lot of things that went wrong there.

Edit: And Anderson's starting tonight for Ottawa. I like this, he's always played really well in the playoffs and Hammond has been the victim of a few bad bounces and mental lapses over the past couple of game, he needs this break.

The Capitals wearing their retro white unis straight out of the era when they couldn't win a big game at Nassau.

Good call.

I hate those sweaters so much. They're ugly in and of themselves, but also clash with their modern updates. It just makes no sense to be neo-retro at home and actual retro on the road. The inverse would make more sense, but still not much. Stupid Crapitals. Should've gone all in on the Weagle.

That Tavares goal warmed my heart. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I lost my radio reception just as regulation ended (Radio Hofstra University doesn't have the strongest signal) so I ran to the office to catch OT on TV. Just missed seeing the goal. But I'll take it.

The Capitals wearing their retro white unis straight out of the era when they couldn't win a big game at Nassau.

Good call.

I hate those sweaters so much. They're ugly in and of themselves, but also clash with their modern updates. It just makes no sense to be neo-retro at home and actual retro on the road. The inverse would make more sense, but still not much. Stupid Crapitals. Should've gone all in on the Weagle.

That Tavares goal warmed my heart. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

I agree with this. I hate wild inconsistencies between home and road uniforms, which is why I hate the Wild's uniforms. Don't have it both ways. If you want to be the retro Caps then be the retro caps, but you shouldn't because those uniforms are inferior in many ways to their regular home and roads.

Also I missed the Tavares goal because I went to the kitchen to refill my water bottle. I figured I'd be safe if I missed the first 15 seconds of OT.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hate wild inconsistencies between home and road uniforms, which is why I hate the Wild's inconsistency between home and road uniforms.

I just had to give it more zip. Sorry.

For being one of the best goalies in the world, Pekka Rinne gets scored on a lot.

Two years of accruing injuries and today's lack of Shea Weber, I suppose.

But hey, I'm happy for the Islanders and happy it was Tavares. They're fun.

Also, NBC changed its camera position at Nassau. It was on the right blue line rather than the left. Strange.

By contrast, at least Pavelec got beat fair and square last night. It's one thing to get beat by a great shot, but Holtby.... that was shades of Pete Peeters.

I agree with this. I hate wild inconsistencies between home and road uniforms, which is why I hate the Wild's uniforms. Don't have it both ways. If you want to be the retro Caps then be the retro caps, but you shouldn't because those uniforms are inferior in many ways to their regular home and roads.

I wish the Wild would just go back to their original green unis:

fernandez0403.jpg

vkfDOzw.gif

Blackhawks looked like a different team in the 2nd period. That was as relentless as I've seen them all year. Nice game. Solid win. I see Ribeiro met Shaw. Now kiss.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It's a shame because Minnesota could have one of the best looks in the league, if they just followed an already existing template.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/86667-minnesota-north-stars-concept/

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Archived