Article on Ducks' 2007 rebrand

Bluefalcon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree that the concept is good. If you're going to have an identity based around a duck, putting your foot down and refusing to have a logo that depicts the most prominent features of the actual animal is idiotic.

Call me crazy but a golden webbed foot is pretty specific to the duck in terms of recognizable imagery. And it looks like a D. Nothing more is needed.

Midway.png

Why does everyone keep calling it a 2007 rebrand? They wore the new uniforms and logos starting in 2006.

Maybe true, but we are not so anal on this board

This board pretty much entirely exists for the sake of being anal retentive.

I was thinking of the new uniforms as 2007 because they won the cup in their first season in black, in 2007, but yes, the rebrand itself was in 2006. Mea culpa.

Last night I was watching the Ducks and thinking what a shame it is they cram the duck mask into that oval so it's tiny. That logo was good enough to be the primary on its own for 13 years, but now they're afraid to fully commit to it as a secondary. Whimps.

getz_zpsnrin2gys.png

Or they could just go with no shoulder logo instead of a logo that doesn't fit at all with their current look.

Last night I was watching the Ducks and thinking what a shame it is they cram the duck mask into that oval so it's tiny. That logo was good enough to be the primary on its own for 13 years, but now they're afraid to fully commit to it as a secondary. Whimps.

getz_zpsnrin2gys.png

When I first saw this, I didn't know if this was their actual look or not.

It really should be.

I disagree that the concept is good. If you're going to have an identity based around a duck, putting your foot down and refusing to have a logo that depicts the most prominent features of the actual animal is idiotic.

Call me crazy but a golden webbed foot is pretty specific to the duck in terms of recognizable imagery. And it looks like a D. Nothing more is needed.

yea you're not going to confuse that foot print with anything else. even if you could bring up the argument of "it could be a goose or a platypus" or whatever, isn't the first thing you're going to think of going to be "duck"? more importantly, logos develop their meaning and recognition over time. no one will confuse the logo for anything else. we very clearly read it as Anaheim's logo.

the Colts' identity is built the same way. the easy thing would be to put a horse head on the helmet, but using a horseshoe is a very clever way of hinting at the mascot and building a completely timeless identity. could say the same about Bengals, Vikings, Rams, and Eagles helmet designs.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The color scheme was a bad idea. You can see now how they emphasize orange because you can't get people to rally behind a tasteful blend of black, beige, and grey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The color scheme was a bad idea. You can see now how they emphasize orange because you can't get people to rally behind a tasteful blend of black, beige, and grey.

Yeah this is why I prefer the current set to what they used to wear even though at first I didn't. Now that they've emphasized orange and gone stripes crazy the 2006 uniforms look quite blase.

Their current set isn't great, but I prefer it over the old uniforms. They have more life to them. If they must use them I'd improve the look by dropping all yokes, put the duckmask triangle on the shoulders, and go back to offset gold outlined numbers. Also, I'd take the side stripes and turn that into a more traditional hem stripe. For whatever reason side stripes have never looked right on a hockey jersey. Maybe because it's the only sports shirt that isn't tucked into pants.

Also, this is a general reebok template gripe, but I hate how they treat laceups. They have that piece of fabric behind the ties so they have somewhere to put the NHL logo, but that renders the laceup completely pointless.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't know if this would be unpopular or not, but I've always wondered how Mariners colors would have worked for the Ducks as an option back in '06. Navy, teal, and silver, with teal used as a good tasteful trim the same way the Mariners use it. The Mariners have obviously shown that such a color scheme can still look fantastic today, and for the Ducks, it'd have been a good update from the eggplant and jade. Personally, I think it could've worked. Even if they still had to run with the wordmark and/or webfoot "D", I think those colors would've made them look at least decent.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

eYJS1KB.jpg

First time seeing these. I'm warming to the idea of an orange jersey but I don't really like any of the "progressive" ones on that bottom row. Especially the ones with the useless Anaheim wordmark.

Although I probably would have preferred a duck logo - or just keeping the Mighty Ducks logo as the primary - I feel that the webfoot D would lend itself well to a traditional uniform design. Just not that gold one shown there.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I don't know if this would be unpopular or not, but I've always wondered how Mariners colors would have worked for the Ducks as an option back in '06. Navy, teal, and silver, with teal used as a good tasteful trim the same way the Mariners use it. The Mariners have obviously shown that such a color scheme can still look fantastic today, and for the Ducks, it'd have been a good update from the eggplant and jade. Personally, I think it could've worked. Even if they still had to run with the wordmark and/or webfoot "D", I think those colors would've made them look at least decent.

Nah, not really. Teal and silver were Sharks colors in 2006, and they were trying to recover from the boner of mostly wearing purple, silver, and black in 05-06.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fair point, but I always thought the jade had a bit of a teal look to it anyways, so I don't know that it would have treaded too much into Sharks territory. If it did though, maybe navy and jade would have been better? Or even just navy and green?

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

getz_zpsnrin2gys.png

Or they could just go with no shoulder logo instead of a logo that doesn't fit at all with their current look.

How does the duck mask not fit a team called the Ducks? It's not like the webbed D isn't cartoony anyways.

I like that top Orange sweater in the Basic section.

Yup, that is the best one.

Orange needs a fair amount of black to break it up, its just too bright otherwise.

Or it needs a darker colour. Bucs used Red, Suns use purple, etc.

But seeing that made me miss the original set a lot. I liked the striping more than the alternate.

I think they missed an opportunity to not have the foot represent an A instead of a D.. It's a DUCK foot.. The D is unnecessary.. they aren't the only team guilty of it, but it irks me every time.. Letters should represent location and images should represent mascot/nickname.. It's like if the Dodgers wore caps like the Tigers, just because it has a D.. a recolored duck mask would've been ideal imo, maybe drop the triangle and sticks to separate a bit, but I hate doubling up on a logo with Image/letter representing the same thing, and this one is guilty.. It's a great logo though, clearly alludes to "ducks" and is a better look than any other concept they considered, and I'll give them credit there, but that doesn't make me like it

Archived