NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

14 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Nothing like the thinly veiled threat of another relocation out of Winnipeg to get fans fired up to buy season tickets.

Well we can't all play in a glorified rec centre

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Yawn 1

Move the Jets to Quebec, then move the Coyotes to Winnipeg. Problem solved. 

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Has Winnipeg been having issues? I haven't been paying attention or hearing anything.

I guess they lost ~2000 season ticket holders over the pandemic, and the average attendance has dipped by just over 1000 this season compared to last.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-ticket-drive-1.6807057

Also, with Wheeler, Scheifele, and Hellebuyck all about to head into the last year of their contracts maybe they are trying to brace for a possible rebuild.

54 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I guess they lost ~2000 season ticket holders over the pandemic, and the average attendance has dipped by just over 1000 this season compared to last.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-ticket-drive-1.6807057

Also, with Wheeler, Scheifele, and Hellebuyck all about to head into the last year of their contracts maybe they are trying to brace for a possible rebuild.

Or it's just a cynical ploy to tap into the traumatic memory  of losing a beloved franchise in order to sell more tickets. 

Most likely all of the above. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

Well we can't all play in a glorified rec centre

It’s all a ploy by the city of Phoenix to keep them in the Mullett. Because the Footprint Center has to stay at the Center of attention. In fact it’s a conspiracy between them and Sky Harbor Airport because who needs housing near an airport. Damn hinderance. In fact let’s let them play in a garbage dump and screw the arena…

• LOL 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, Digby said:

I personally cannot fathom very many cities than can support more than one 18k arena. Feels like NYC and LA and that’s it. That’s always been the flashing warning light about this Sixers idea to me. How do the Twin Cities pull it off?

Chicago manages it largely because the United Center picks up many of the tours that would otherwise go to domed stadiums, and that plus the sports leaves enough left over for the Horizon to fill a calendar. The UIC Pavilion and DePaul Church-and-State-Dome are only like 10k arenas and I don't know what else goes on there. 

The Cities have had dueling arenas going back to when the Met Center and Target Center overlapped, and both the Stars and Jets couldn't figure out a way to move to the Target Center because of the Timberwolves' soda rights or something. I'm guessing they swing it now by having enough ice events in St. Paul versus concerts in Minneapolis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Why give Quebec City a team when you can give Phoenix a second team! It's the better business decision, it just is!

Sure, why not? They already have an arena ready to go in Glendale. Hell, lets put a third team in Phoenix proper down at Footprint Center.🤪

• LOL 1

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

In Forsyth? That's still technically the metro area, but it might as well be in Tennessee.

Having just moved away from Atlanta, it is astonishing how contentious the dynamic between the suburbs and the inner city is and the suburbs just keep one-upping themselves.

jNTsTyQ.png

Regarding two 18k arenas in one metro, if one is way out in the burbs, are major tours and other non-NHL events really going to be held there?  I know that the NE/Mid-Atlantic is culturally different than the south so maybe the need to drive anyway and the distance isn't significant enough to make it an issue, but I can't really imagine another arena being so far from the center of the population and from mass transit.

Atlanta certainly isn't small - it's very large by US standards - but it seems like these suburban stadiums eschew a good portion of the otherwise game-attending fan base.  But again, maybe it's just a different culture and it's NBD.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Atlanta certainly isn't small - it's very large by US standards - but it seems like these suburban stadiums eschew a good portion of the otherwise game-attending fan base.  But again, maybe it's just a different culture and it's NBD.

ATL is the busiest airport in the US, so I think there's an argument that, like Chicago, it's a regional hub that's easy to get to for a lot of people.

But I guess I'd also need to know how many events the existing Atlanta NBA/NHL arena is turning away now, an also how many of those events aren't suitable for the Georgia Tech arena it or whatever facility may exist at Emory or other places in the city. 

Atlanta's big as hell, so I'm assuming there are plenty of places to host whatever event whenever.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

40 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

ATL is the busiest airport in the US, so I think there's an argument that, like Chicago, it's a regional hub that's easy to get to for a lot of people.

But I guess I'd also need to know how many events the existing Atlanta NBA/NHL arena is turning away now, an also how many of those events aren't suitable for the Georgia Tech arena it or whatever facility may exist at Emory or other places in the city. 

Atlanta's big as hell, so I'm assuming there are plenty of places to host whatever event whenever.

Not a local and only lived there for just under 4 years. so take what I say with a grain of salt. 

Ga. Tech and Emory are not hosting any concerts or events outside of official school-sponsored stuff. There were a lot of reasons given for the location of the Battery, but the biggest one was so that the wealthy people in the burbs didn't have to deal with the downtown "scene" anymore. The Atlanta Metro area is massive and the northern suburbs are so determined to not have anything to do with the actual city that I definitely think they could make this arena work. I'm sure Taylor Swift, Morgan Wallen, and the like would much rather use this new venue than the NBA arena downtown.

Them throwing an NHL team in Forsyth would be the league absolutely stating that the reason the Thrashers failed was that they were too far away from rich white people to succeed.

• Like 1

jNTsTyQ.png