NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Why in the hell pro hockey was ever placed in Arizona is beyond my rational thinking...

Because Bettman doesn't think rationally and is obsessed with taking hockey southwards.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I got The Instigator for Christmas, and tore through it in past two nights (thanks for the recommendation, Admiral). One of the interesting bits of Coyotes history I was previously unaware of was that Jerry Colangelo, the point man in bringing the Jets southward in 1996, wanted to be free and clear of the thing by 1998, and it was more or less in Gary's hands (either by his own choosing or not) to scrape together enough couch cushion change and various local investment to keep the 'Yotes afloat. Bettman's taken the lead on saving desert hockey with duct tape and Fix-a-Flat for nearly 15 years now, not just the 4 since Jerry Moyes went teats-up and tried to shuffle them off to Noted Enemy Jim Balsillie. They are, in so many ways, his team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/jamison-reportedly-traveled-to-middle-east-in-search-of-coyotes-investors/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Look on the bright side. Greg Jamison still has five other continents to try to find people who'd want to fund his purchase of the Coyotes.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I got The Instigator for Christmas, and tore through it in past two nights (thanks for the recommendation, Admiral). One of the interesting bits of Coyotes history I was previously unaware of was that Jerry Colangelo, the point man in bringing the Jets southward in 1996, wanted to be free and clear of the thing by 1998, and it was more or less in Gary's hands (either by his own choosing or not) to scrape together enough couch cushion change and various local investment to keep the 'Yotes afloat. Bettman's taken the lead on saving desert hockey with duct tape and Fix-a-Flat for nearly 15 years now, not just the 4 since Jerry Moyes went teats-up and tried to shuffle them off to Noted Enemy Jim Balsillie. They are, in so many ways, his team.

Remember how the genesis of the OITGDNHL meme was that we were going to make every instance into the chapter of a book? The Instigator pretty much is that book! It's lonely at the forefront.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"I've been at this 18 months, I've looked at everything," Jamison told the Globe and Mail.

And you still don't have investors? I'm not sure that record of spectacular failure is something you want to admit publicly.

Might be why he flat out turned down the Glendale city council's request to list his investors. Can't list what you don't have. I was shocked they went forward with the deal when he told them that. How do you go into potentially city crippling business with a guy who is less transparent than a brick wall.

This just strengthens the theory I've been pushing. The theory that Bettman is moving heaven and earth to keep the team in Arizona purely out of stubborn pride.

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

Look on the bright side. Greg Jamison still has five other continents to try to find people who'd want to fund his purchase of the Coyotes.

The NHL once welcomed the Yakuza into their ownership ranks. What's a middle eastern oil tycoon between friends, really?

Paul Allen wanted to buy the Coyotes in 2001 and move them to Portland, but the league thought they had things lined up to get an arena deal in Scottsdale. Whoopsies!

The NHL once welcomed the Yakuza into their ownership ranks. What's a middle eastern oil tycoon between friends, really?

Here come your Arizona Qatar Foundation Coyotes!

Yeah, I was just going to mention the Portland/Scottsdale thing. Scottsdale dithered over the whole Ellman arena-mall plan and finally said no, while Glendale took roughly three days to approve it. Due diligence as always. Would Portland have been a success? Considering they'd have been in direct competition with the well-established Trail Blazers and not much else in a small market that really didn't start its meteoric rise till recently, probably not. Would it have been better than the dumpster fire now? Hell yes.

By the way, all, if you got Barnes & Noble gift cards or some cash for Christmas, and you've been a regular reader of the Coyotes threads or lockout thread here, you have to buy this book.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/28/bid-fo-referendum-on-coyotes-lease-deal-comes-up-short/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Glendale residents couldn't get enough signatures to force a referendum on the lease deal. So the only thing holding back Greg Jamison from being able to buy the Coyotes is Greg Jamison being able to buy the Coyotes. 5 weeks allegedly left on the clock, Greg. Time to check if Qantas has any good deals on January fares.

January 31st, and we don't.

Unless the new city council, which takes over mid-January after being elected on a "Jesus CHRIST, these effing people" platform, decides to come charging out of the gate and tells Greg and all his imaginary friends to go pound sand.

January 31st, and we don't.

Unless the new city council, which takes over mid-January after being elected on a "Jesus CHRIST, these effing people" platform, decides to come charging out of the gate and tells Greg and all his imaginary friends to go pound sand.

We definitely think it's the drop deadline. The new council has categorically stated they won't be renewing this "deal" (if you want to call what Glendale is getting a deal) if Jamison hasn't finished his sale by the 31st. He and the NHL will be SOL with the new council. Or at least they should be as all the new members were elected on a ":censored: the NHL" platform.

http://www.businessw...ers-muni-credit

“If you look back to 2009, they were a perfectly normal city,” said Neene Jenkins, an AllianceBernstein analyst in New York.

gary-bettman-e1323212917557.jpg

Part of the vacant land around the baseball facility was recently purchased, while a plan has been announced to build a 500-bed hospital near the hockey rink.

This could prove life-saving for the next busload of children Raffi Torres tries to kill.