NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Always a good idea to design things after a division rival's primary logo, after they kicked your butt in the playoffs.

8rlbK.png

They were using that design on their website as soon as they won the division. And I mean, it's a pretty generic banner shape.

But nice try?

There are only a few ways you can design a traditional banner that hangs from the arena rafters. It's ironic that the banner is similar to the Los Angeles Kings primary logo, however, the Kings logo is not designed well either.

Hey let's see what's coming up at the Jobberdome:

Eric Church

Nov 2, 2012, 7:30 PM

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Dec 1, 2012, 3:00 PM

104.7 KISS FM'S Jingle Ball 2012

Dec 2, 2012, 5:30 PM

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band ‘Wrecking Ball’ World Tour

Dec 6, 2012, 7:30 PM

The Who QUADROPHENIA

Feb 6, 2013, 7:30 PM

These are the only events they have scheduled that aren't hockey games. Arena Management Fee!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So here's a thought....

Say the NHL cancels the full season (looking more and more likely). Does that kill the "we need the Coyotes to stay to save the mall!" argument the pro-Coyotes camp keeps trotting out?

Also, I just realized how much that argument sounds like the plot to an 80s movie.

• Like 2

So here's a thought....

Say the NHL cancels the full season (looking more and more likely). Does that kill the "we need the Coyotes to stay to save the mall!" argument the pro-Coyotes camp keeps trotting out?

Also, I just realized how much that argument sounds like the plot to an 80s movie.

STAN DARSH!!!

• Like 2

So here's a thought....

Hopefully, considering it was an idiotic, backwards argument to begin with.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

This is what's so fascinating: Coyotes fans have the most hardline pro-owner stance of any fanbase (which is kind of like a homeless person having a hardline pro-food stance), so they're in favor of the lockout that, by their own logic, is actually harming their market more than any other. You see, they need the team to stay because the city will allegedly go bankrupt without hockey at the mall, even though in order to save the team they need to bust the union and thus drastically lower the team's operating costs, which requires a protracted lockout, which means there's no hockey at the mall, which means the city will allegedly go bankrupt. If their hypothesis is true, this season will kill the mall and there will be no mall left for hockey to save; if the season doesn't kill the mall, their hypothesis is demonstrably false.

However, this mall-saving rabblerousing is all predicated on the fallacy that any of them give a damn about the stupid mall or anything greater than just having their hockey team not move. The propaganda behind voting yes on the sales tax increase (or is it voting no on not having the sales tax increase? wtf?), which most ironically is couched in saving the jobs of police and firefighters, is the work of an elderly shut-in from across the Valley who publishes elaborate Vast Mexican Conspiracies on his blog and gets off on being mentioned at city council meetings in a city where he doesn't even live. So you have these people indirectly defending union-busting as necessary for the Coyotes in the abstract while these same union-busting policies damage the local economy they're claiming to defend in reality.

In short, Coyotes fans are not just a pain in the ass with an obnoxious siege mentality but disingenuous and self-involved twerps with an ethical compass that couldn't be more haywire if you wrapped it in a hundred magnets. Please don't like the sport I like.

• Like 3

Well that's always been my problem with the pro-Coyotes crowd, at least the ones who post here. Most of them aren't even residence of Glendale, yet they support the city bankrupting itself to keep this team.

Which I find especially hilarious when those same Coyotes fans say "it's not your business what an elected government that doesn't effect you decides to do with its money!" Um, it's not your business either! These Coyotes fans aren't effected by Glendale having to gut its municipal budget to keep this team around. They're more then willing to let a city they don't live in destroy itself, so long as it means they get to keep their hockey team.

I'm not effected by Glendale's policies either, but at least my position isn't oblivious to municipal self-destruction out of petty self interest.

Every NHL fan has a right to complain about the Coyotes' situation seeing as though they are paying to keep the Coyotes afloat. Has Jamison found investors yet?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Firings, or layoffs? Layoffs would be standard practice for a team facing a long lockout.

Meanwhile, the mayor of Glendale is starting to admit the inevitable: http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20121018glendale-mayor-scruggs-makes-case-letting-coyotes-go.html?nclick_check=1

Glendale has been cranking out budget scenarios to show where the city would stand considering different variables, such as keeping or losing the sales-tax hike and keeping or losing the Phoenix Coyotes.

It's the latter that has caught the attention of Mayor Elaine Scruggs.

No immediate cuts would be needed, according to one scenario that assumes the city keeps the tax hike but loses the hockey team that plays at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.

Scruggs highlighted the no-cuts scenario at this week's council workshop and called on council members to rethink the Coyotes deal.

The mayor said handing out $71 million to the team as proposed in the next five years would mean city employees would lose jobs and services would be cut.

The mayor said that wasn't acceptable. She added she would rather keep popular city festivals that are in danger of being cut than pay millions to keep the Coyotes.

"I don’t want to turn off the lights in Glendale," Scruggs said, suggesting the hockey and concert arena could attract other events that would keep visitors at Westgate City Center, the nearby shopping and restaurant complex.

:suspect: