NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Hamilton would've worked in 1993 but not now. Toronto2 will never work, unless, like you said, it really does exist just to fatten up RogeBell on territorial penalties.

Two-ronto (2ronto)? Toron-two (Toron2)?

But yes, you and Ice Cap are right. If Hamilton wasn't going to work because of the Maple Leafs and freaking Buffalo, there's no way in hell Toronto II comes to pass. Most of these "2nd-team-coming-into-an-established-market" scenarios just won't come to pass in today's pro sporting world. Toronto's not getting a 2nd hockey team. Chicago won't get a second basketball/football team, Boston won't get a second baseball team, New York isn't getting a 3rd anything (Devils don't count.). The only place two teams is likely to happen is LA getting a second NFL team. While that's obviously predicated on them getting a first team back, it also would have to happen quickly. And even then, the 2nd team is automatically getting slapped with a giant little brother label.

Of course, I say this as a fan of a team that became the 2nd team in a hockey market that probably didn't need a second team, but if it was going to happen like it did, it was going to be then. Even without the Kings winning the Cup, I doubt Anaheim would be able to get an expansion into the NHL right now. Although you might argue that the circumstances between 2012 and 1993 are similar (surge in SoCal hockey popularity via Gretzky/Cup, owners needing money to line the pockets, maybe a stretch to Bruce McNall wanting money/AEG getting sold?), I don't think that could have happened now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Saw on HFboards that someone in Glenderp just admitted that they won't have to make any police/fire/library cuts if the Coyotes leave. And boom goes the dynamite.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Paying teachers or paying for Rafi Torres to sit out games when he inevitably gets suspended for blind-siding another opponent... tough call.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Paying teachers or paying for Rafi Torres to sit out games when he inevitably gets suspended for blind-siding another opponent... tough call.

Actually, the plan is for Torres to teach sixth grade science as well as routinely get suspended by the NHL...

Great, now he really is going to kill a busload of children!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I still don't know where, other than Quebec and Seattle or Portland, the NHL could go and be a success. Once Quebec is filled they're really out of Canadian markets, and I don't know with any certainty that any areas of the US are crying out for pro hockey.

The argument could be made that adding Seattle AND Portland could lead to an actual northwest divisional setup, but 32 teams is overkill. Horrible, horrible overkill.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I still don't know where, other than Quebec and Seattle or Portland, the NHL could go and be a success. Once Quebec is filled they're really out of Canadian markets, and I don't know with any certainty that any areas of the US are crying out for pro hockey.

The argument could be made that adding Seattle AND Portland could lead to an actual northwest divisional setup, but 32 teams is overkill. Horrible, horrible overkill.

True, but Seattle and Portland represent two more relocation options for the plethora of struggling teams once Quebec City is taken.

• 2 weeks later...

I just have to post a link to this blog because it's so stupid. I almost laughed over it until I realized how many people believe everything they read is the gospel truth.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/NHL-Lockout-Could-Kill-Coyotes-Franchise/131/47230

Just a sample:

"Getting back to the Phoenix situation, the NHL could take a serious look at killing the franchise as a way to send a message to the NHLPA. Keep in mind there is no CBA, and the league absolutely can end franchises without input from the players. What would this actually mean?

1. A dispersal draft would take place. The 29 other teams in the NHL would have a draft to divide up 29 assets from the Coyotes organization. The draft order would likely be in reverse order of how teams finished last season. Worded another way, Columbus would draft Oliver Ekman Larsson 1st overall, and the Oilers would get to pick between defenseman Keith Yandle, Center Martin Hanzus, or star defensive prospect Brandon Gormley. I'm a gambler, so I'd likely look at Gormley. He'd also fit with the timeline existing in Edmonton.

2. Teams could be allowed to "exchange" a contract during this process. Remember all my talk about an "Amnesty" clause in the new CBA? Try this on for size: Every team can have only so many contracts, right? So say hello to Keith Yandle on the Oilers, and goodbye to Shawn Horcoff. I'm serious, friends. Every team could use this situation as a way to dump off one ugly, ugly contract. How happy would Montreal be to trade Scott Gomez for Gormley?

I don't see how any rules are being broken here. Keep in mind there's no CBA, teams can deal contracts, and the PA cannot block the folding of a team. How much would it scare the hell out of the NHLPA if 29 teams could dump off 29 oversized contracts, and the team would fold, killing those contracts, just for laughs?"

Umm, pretty sure that's the most painfully obvious case of collusion any court has ever seen...

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I just have to post a link to this blog because it's so stupid. I almost laughed over it until I realized how many people believe everything they read is the gospel truth.

http://www.hockeybuz...chise/131/47230

Just a sample:

"Getting back to the Phoenix situation, the NHL could take a serious look at killing the franchise as a way to send a message to the NHLPA. Keep in mind there is no CBA, and the league absolutely can end franchises without input from the players. What would this actually mean?

1. A dispersal draft would take place. The 29 other teams in the NHL would have a draft to divide up 29 assets from the Coyotes organization. The draft order would likely be in reverse order of how teams finished last season. Worded another way, Columbus would draft Oliver Ekman Larsson 1st overall, and the Oilers would get to pick between defenseman Keith Yandle, Center Martin Hanzus, or star defensive prospect Brandon Gormley. I'm a gambler, so I'd likely look at Gormley. He'd also fit with the timeline existing in Edmonton.

2. Teams could be allowed to "exchange" a contract during this process. Remember all my talk about an "Amnesty" clause in the new CBA? Try this on for size: Every team can have only so many contracts, right? So say hello to Keith Yandle on the Oilers, and goodbye to Shawn Horcoff. I'm serious, friends. Every team could use this situation as a way to dump off one ugly, ugly contract. How happy would Montreal be to trade Scott Gomez for Gormley?

I don't see how any rules are being broken here. Keep in mind there's no CBA, teams can deal contracts, and the PA cannot block the folding of a team. How much would it scare the hell out of the NHLPA if 29 teams could dump off 29 oversized contracts, and the team would fold, killing those contracts, just for laughs?"

Umm, pretty sure that's the most painfully obvious case of collusion any court has ever seen...

If that happened, where would their 2012 Pacific Division Champions banner hang?

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Just a sample:

If that happened, where would their 2012 Pacific Division Champions banner hang?

This reminds me of the 'If a tree fell in the forest' question. Will anyone see it even if they hang it at Jobing.com Arena?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I assume they'd just hang it in the Jobber if they were going to, or possibly the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame or something.

It probably only matters if it's actually been made or not (either it wasn't in anticipation of the lockout or it is and it's just sitting in the Jobber's storage.)

I think it's a moot point though. I doubt the NHL goes ahead and eliminates the Coyotes at this point. Contract a team during a lockout? Like the PR isn't bad enough already (Yeah yeah, it's the NHL and yeah yeah, it's the Coyotes. It'd still be a bad look.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Just a sample:

The Shane Doan Snuggie.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Just a sample:

They can give it to Mike Smith. I'm sure he has a collection of sticks he's used to threaten officials and opposing players. The banner would complement that room nicely.