NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

This is so insane now it's the 16th that the new mayor comes in and can strike this down correct?

Some great comments in the comment section here as well about how the NHL didn't fight like this for Atlanta. Not to rip Atlanta's fans in anyway but ones comeback to someone calling Atlanta a terrible sports town was:

Your statement is hilariously wrong. The Thrashers did sell out every playoff game they hosted, and draw decently in the regular season until the owners decided to spend the team budget suing each other. The Yankees couldn’t sell out the ALCS, but no one is saying New York is “terrible sports town.”

Good point...

untitled-6.jpg

Atlanta Spirit was hell-bent on selling the Thrashers to a prospective owner that did not intend on home Thrashers games being played at Philips Arena.

The Thrashers were selling out numerous games and turning a profit each year Ted Turner owned the team.

To be fair Turner owned the team when they were still the hot, new thing in Atlanta. The AS group took over after a few less then stellar seasons. The inability to put a winning team on the ice might have killed off the interest the market had for NHL hockey.

Regardless I do believe the Thrashers deserved at least one more year, just to see if something could have been worked out. It seems painfully clear to me that the NHL sacrificed them to True North just to save the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment.

Nothing could have been worked out if nobody was going to buy the entire Hawks/Thrashers/master lease bundle. If the Mexican pizza magnate (that is to say, a pizza magnate who was Mexican, not a magnate of Mexican pizzas) had bought the Hawks and the lease but not the Thrashers, then the entire business model would have been untenable and the Thrashers would have eventually failed. If he had bought the whole thing, it would've been yet another NHL owner who bought into the club with imaginary money, and they'd have been screwed that way, too. Yes, Atlanta fans got a really raw deal the way the team was hustled out while Phoenix has been death-rattling longer than a Jethro Tull song, but both markets were/are fatally flawed. Had the league sold the Coyotes off to buy the Thrashers, they probably would have ended up selling them to Quebecor.

This is all Joe Johnson's fault.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/report-jamison-still-seeking-financing-to-purchase-coyotes/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, now that all of their financial problems have been solved, the league has told Greg Jamison "Hey, how about we just give you the money to buy the team from us?"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Now that there's an actual season to be had, I'll set the over/under for Coyotes sellouts during the season (including possible playoff games) at 2. Place your bets.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/report-jamison-still-seeking-financing-to-purchase-coyotes/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Well, now that all of their financial problems have been solved, the league has told Greg Jamison "Hey, how about we just give you the money to buy the team from us?"

AHAHAHAHA!

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

"Act now, and we'll also throw in this parking lot!"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Arizona Coyotes: Because :censored: YOU THAT'S WHY

• Like 3

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Regardless I do believe the Thrashers deserved at least one more year, just to see if something could have been worked out. It seems painfully clear to me that the NHL sacrificed them to True North just to save the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment.

If Thrashers fans had been able to draw more than a dozen people to their "save the team" rally, I might agree with you.

Regardless of what was happening in Phoenix, the Thrashers were gone. If not to Winnipeg, than somewhere else. Ownership didn't want the team any more, and there was no real indication that the city was any more interested than they were. Fatal combination.

Nothing could have been worked out if nobody was going to buy the entire Hawks/Thrashers/master lease bundle. If the Mexican pizza magnate (that is to say, a pizza magnate who was Mexican, not a magnate of Mexican pizzas) had bought the Hawks and the lease but not the Thrashers, then the entire business model would have been untenable and the Thrashers would have eventually failed. If he had bought the whole thing, it would've been yet another NHL owner who bought into the club with imaginary money, and they'd have been screwed that way, too. Yes, Atlanta fans got a really raw deal the way the team was hustled out while Phoenix has been death-rattling longer than a Jethro Tull song, but both markets were/are fatally flawed. Had the league sold the Coyotes off to buy the Thrashers, they probably would have ended up selling them to Quebecor.

This is all Joe Johnson's fault.

If Thrashers fans had been able to draw more than a dozen people to their "save the team" rally, I might agree with you.

Regardless of what was happening in Phoenix, the Thrashers were gone. If not to Winnipeg, than somewhere else. Ownership didn't want the team any more, and there was no real indication that the city was any more interested than they were. Fatal combination.

Solid points all around. Here's what I'm getting at. The Thrashers had an owner and the Coyotes had none. The sensible thing, from the NHL's perspective, would have been to sell off the team without an owner to the willing buyers (TNSE) and talk the Atlanta Spirit Group into keeping the team for one more year to see if a local buyer (or failing that, any buyer) can be found. It just seemed like the Thrashers' timetable was sped up to save the team that should have been moved up north.

Yeah, it probably was, but I'm having trouble working around the fact that the owners effectively evicted their own team to make room for more profitable bookings. I don't think they were going to be talked into keeping the team one more year; they had no fealty to Bettman (it's mentioned in The Instigator that they bought the Thrashers just to flip them after the 2005 CBA) and didn't have to keep owning a team if they didn't want to. Whether the idiots sold the rest of their properties or not, the Thrashers wouldn't have been able to play at Philips Arena, and without a second 16,000-seat ice-capable arena in the region (or someone willing to stick them in Gwinnett for three or four years while a second arena was bankrolled, planned, and built), they had nowhere to go. The local buyers, as I recall from the whirlwind of close calls prior to the eventual sale, included a slapdash group of questionable investors led by Anson Carter, a slapdash group of questionable investors led by Tom Glavine, and some private equity guy who made his fortune by investing in churches or something (and, befitting an NHL ownership discussion, seemed to have a lot of merely imaginary money). That was about as good as it got. So I'm not sure what you were going to do with an extra year in Atlanta other than tread water till Quebec City had shovels in the ground for the new Colisee (which is chugging along ahead of schedule now, au fait).

And as someone who kinda likes the Jets and looked forward to kinda liking the Jets, this group of guys turned out to be a better fit than the Coyotes, who bitched and bitched to anyone who would listen that they didn't want to be cold or Canadian or held accountable for their jobs. So that kinda makes up for the wonky lineage.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And as someone who kinda likes the Jets and looked forward to kinda liking the Jets, this group of guys turned out to be a better fit than the Coyotes, who bitched and bitched to anyone who would listen that they didn't want to be cold or Canadian or held accountable for their jobs. So that kinda makes up for the wonky lineage.

I hear what you're saying.

My favourite part about all of that was when Shane Doan threatened to evoke his no trade clause if the team moved.

THERE ARE NO PARKS IN WINNIPEG