NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

My favourite part about all of that was when Shane Doan threatened to evoke his no trade clause if the team moved.

I hate so much the way people make Doan out to be a hero for staying with his team, as if he's not only the last vestige of the original Jets but the last vestige of a bygone era of player/franchise loyalty. Let's be real: he stays where he stays because the weather is nice for his horse farm, the shopping is good for his wife, the schools are good for his kids, and the expectations are low for his job. That's not selfless loyalty, that's selfish loyalty. There is no real sacrifice on his part; it's an arrangement that by any rational valuation (which is to exclude "your life is measured in Stanley Cups"), what he gives is vastly, vastly outweighed by what he gets. It's not Ray Bourque gamely sticking around till he could stick around no more, it's just some longtime second-line winger gaming a unique idiosyncrasy of the NHL's economic and geographic footprint for his personal gain. Beyond that, he tries to mitigate his dirty game on the ice by identifying as an evangelical Christian, the worst trick in the book. He's lauded as a Stoic Leader Captain because he's been around a while and wears #19 like Yzerman and Sakic did, but he sure pouts loudly when his team loses or might move away from his cushy rut. He's a first-order charlatan. Easily one of my least favorite players in the league, now or ever.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The display in the handshake line from last season's Western Conference Finals was particularly shameful. I played hockey all through high school and if we did anything more then smile and shake hands at the end of a game our coaches would chew us out. We were teenagers. This guy's in his mid thirties and championed by some as the model NHL captain. It was just sad to watch.

Did somebody say "Coyotes KickStarter?"

Also, did somebody say "shameless self-promotion of my attempt at a hockey blog"?

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ahh Hockey is back and the Phoenix Coyotes are the biggest source of NHL embarassment again.

I can just picture the goalie asking their GM Who Own Coyotes?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

My favourite part about all of that was when Shane Doan threatened to evoke his no trade clause if the team moved.

I hate so much the way people make Doan out to be a hero for staying with his team, as if he's not only the last vestige of the original Jets but the last vestige of a bygone era of player/franchise loyalty. Let's be real: he stays where he stays because the weather is nice for his horse farm, the shopping is good for his wife, the schools are good for his kids, and the expectations are low for his job. That's not selfless loyalty, that's selfish loyalty. There is no real sacrifice on his part; it's an arrangement that by any rational valuation (which is to exclude "your life is measured in Stanley Cups"), what he gives is vastly, vastly outweighed by what he gets. It's not Ray Bourque gamely sticking around till he could stick around no more, it's just some longtime second-line winger gaming a unique idiosyncrasy of the NHL's economic and geographic footprint for his personal gain. Beyond that, he tries to mitigate his dirty game on the ice by identifying as an evangelical Christian, the worst trick in the book. He's lauded as a Stoic Leader Captain because he's been around a while and wears #19 like Yzerman and Sakic did, but he sure pouts loudly when his team loses or might move away from his cushy rut. He's a first-order charlatan. Easily one of my least favorite players in the league, now or ever.

Could not agree more.

untitled-6.jpg

Can the new council revoke the lease deal? Or must they honour the January 31st date set by those previously in office?

I'm not sure, but I THINK they have to honour the deadline. That being said they probably won't extend the deadline like the last council constantly did.

Can the new council revoke the lease deal? Or must they honour the January 31st date set by those previously in office?

I'm not sure, but I THINK they have to honour the deadline. That being said they probably won't extend the deadline like the last council constantly did.

They could pull out but it might lead to a lengthy legal battle if they do. However if Jamison doesn't get his deal done in the next two weeks the new council is under no obligation to extend the deal and in fact were elected claiming they didn't want this deal and opposed it. So hopefully Jamison doesn't get this done by Jan 31.

They could pull out but it might lead to a lengthy legal battle if they do. However if Jamison doesn't get his deal done in the next two weeks the new council is under no obligation to extend the deal and in fact were elected claiming they didn't want this deal and opposed it. So hopefully Jamison doesn't get this done by Jan 31.

If it gets all the way down to January 31st, and the new city council actually does tell him to put up or shut up, the league is going to "loan" him the money to buy the team. Continue the omnishambles!

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I really doubt that the league will do that. The other owners have been losing money on Bettman's vanity project for some time now, and only the city's willingness to underwrite those losses have kept them from forcing the issue.

But money to buy the team outright? I don't see them authorizing that. I know, OITGDNHL, but still.

I guess the question is whether his Gang of Seven will stick by Bettman after the way he guided them through the lockout (not particularly well). All he needs is the backing of those seven to continue on this fool's errand. Plus, if he couches it as "it's either Glendale or Québec City", he might get Geoff Molson on board.