NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

The Saskatoon arena is in a weird spot too if you're coming from the city. It's almost outside city limits and it's between two highways leading out of the city so you have to pass the arena and then backtrack on a side road. And one of highways makes it so you have to cross the other side of the highway and then backtrack.

IbjBaeE.png

Nothing will supplant the Roughriders in Saskatchewan.

And even then, it's the whole province. Once a week games means that people here in Saskatoon and the other towns can drive up to Regina and watch the game.

A hockey team that has to fill 41+ dates each year isn't going to work in Saskatchewan.

IbjBaeE.png

Nothing will supplant the Roughriders in Saskatchewan.

And even then, it's the whole province. Once a week games means that people here in Saskatoon and the other towns can drive up to Regina and watch the game.

A hockey team that has to fill 41+ dates each year isn't going to work in Saskatchewan.

Plus the Roughriders play in the summer too, and the driving would be much easier then compared to in the winter.

• Like 1

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

The Coyotes lost $24 million last season, and are for sale again. Get your calliopes.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/02/spurned-islanders-buyer-to-purchase-coyotes-instead/

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Sources further report Barroway, a Philadelphia-based hedge fund manager, is buying 51 percent based on a recent $305 million valuation of the franchise, which was purchased by RSE for a reported $170 million.

plush4.jpeg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This happened so fast. Holy crap. I hope they spend countless millions rebranding to the Arizona Coyotes, so that by this time next year there will be thousands of poverty-stricken children in 3rd world countries running around in oversized Arizona Coyotes tees.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

How the hell is it that one year after the NHL had to beg for someone to buy the team for $170M, now someone willingly steps forward to buy half the team for $150M???

Edit: Also, who's doing the assessment when a team sells for $170M, writes a big red $24M on the ledger book and increases in value to $305M despite no real hope of ever earning a profit in their current location?

The Coyotes lost $24 million last season, and are for sale again. Get your calliopes.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/02/spurned-islanders-buyer-to-purchase-coyotes-instead/

You have got to be kidding me...

Though to IceArizona's credit, they should be walking away with a nice profit despite the losses they incurred last year.

Also I completely missed that the Jobberdome was renamed Gila River Arena.

Remember, IceArizona owns little of the team themselves. Most of the money for the purchase came from the NHL and an investment bank. Given that Count seems to have brokered this deal to get Barroway off Charles Wang's ass, I'm guessing it concerns the league's ongoing stake in the team more than Gosbee and the assorted Alberta pretenders. Maybe they used this money to pay the NHL back. Who knows. It has to be more complicated than flipping a team in one year and getting a huge ROI.

Remember, IceArizona owns little of the team themselves. Most of the money for the purchase came from the NHL and an investment bank. Given that Count seems to have brokered this deal to get Barroway off Charles Wang's ass, I'm guessing it concerns the league's ongoing stake in the team more than Gosbee and the assorted Alberta pretenders. Maybe they used this money to pay the NHL back. Who knows. It has to be more complicated than flipping a team in one year and getting a huge ROI.

If they lost $24 million over the last year... aren't they halfway to the $50 million barrier before we're back into relocation mode?

I think they have to go the full five years, regardless of how quickly they hit the $50 million of red ink. Unless they renegotiate with Glendale's city council, which can never be ruled out.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If they lost $24 million over the last year, then they're the worst businessmen of all time and should never be allowed around legal tender again. The organization actually seemed to function relatively well, though they did fail miserably at the whole arena-management thing for which they are paid handsomely because I'm pretty sure they still only had a small handful of non-hockey events.

If they lost $24 million over the last year, then they're the worst businessmen of all time and should never be allowed around legal tender again. The organization actually seemed to function relatively well, though they did fail miserably at the whole arena-management thing for which they are paid handsomely because I'm pretty sure they still only had a small handful of non-hockey events.

I think that's the problem, and always has been, even functioning well the Coyotes are a money sink. It's just not destined to work in Glendale (if not Phoenix as a whole). All of these ownership moves just seem poised to delay the inevitable.