Beginning of the end of Arena Football League? (again)

Soundwave721

The Arena League leadership needs to up the game, be more fiducially more responsible. Awarding Vegas a team wasn't smart.

Not getting all the expansion fees before letting them play was the mistake. It seems like the league heard who was involved and stopped checking up on the owners until they didn't make their payments. It's the biggest reason I doubt those Mexican teams ever see the field. I also don't understand what the appeal of putting a team in Vegas is?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Arena League leadership needs to up the game, be more fiducially more responsible. Awarding Vegas a team wasn't smart.

Not getting all the expansion fees before letting them play was the mistake. It seems like the league heard who was involved and stopped checking up on the owners until they didn't make their payments. It's the biggest reason I doubt those Mexican teams ever see the field. I also don't understand what the appeal of putting a team in Vegas is?

No, the mistake is one that virtually every start-up sports league makes: failure to ensure franchise viability over an extended period, opting to grab a franchise fee without too much concern as to whether it will be operating five years after it launches.

Oddly enough one exception (at least initially) to this was the USFL. Each franchisee paid (ostensibly) a $6 million entry fee to get in. But each was also required to post an irrevocable letter of credit for $1.5 million, payable to the league in the event that a team failed to meet its obligations and its operations had to be taken over. For example, the Los Angeles Express' original owners (Daniels & Harmon) paid in total $7.5 million to the USFL. They sold the franchise to Oldenburg the following year. When Oldenburg's finances took him under, the league took over the franchise. The first thing they then did was to cash in the letter of credit for the $1.5 million, using those funds to (at least partially) fund the team through the 1985 season while searching for a buyer. Part of the USFL's downfall came when it gave permission to team owners to draw from these funds, undermining the whole system.

Another example was the NASL, which required team owners entering the league to put $3 million in escrow. That money would be returned to the team only on an "as needed" basis, by authority of the commissioner, upon demonstrated hardship. Unfortunately for the league, its commissioners tended to play fast and loose with the definition of "hardship."

The AFL, by contrast, doesn't even have such a system in place - and now, because the whole enterprise is on such shaky ground, they couldn't put it in place if they wanted to.

nav-logo.png

So, which team gets 2 playoff spots? Or they could always bring back the Houston ThunderBears as a travel team.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So, which team gets 2 playoff spots? Or they could always bring back the Houston ThunderBears as a travel team.

Have a travel team, playing 4 "home" games in Albany NY, the other 4 in Detroit and Nashville

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

There's always the West Palm Beach Convention Center.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

O-69.

• 3 weeks later...

The side that wants to mercy-kill both leagues.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived