Beginning of the end of Arena Football League? (again)

Soundwave721

3 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Cleveland and DC are just date fillers for their owner's arenas. Philadelphia is such a non factor their home finale and playoff run was moved to Allentown due to the Democratic convention.

To be fair, the Storm are owned by the Lightning and essentially a summer date filler.  I guess the IFL is a possibility if Arizona is joining.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arizona and Orlando going bye-bye on back-to-back days? That's the equivalent of the NFL losing the Cowboys and Raiders.

Farewell Arena Football - at least you lasted longer than most non-NFL pro football leagues do.

CCSLC signature.png

Arizona to the IFL makes a lot of sense to me and there's two really good reasons.

One is that former rivals in Iowa and Spokane being in this league after jumping ship from the AFL. This would allow Arizona to get back the rivalries that were lost when both teams left for the IFL. Not to mention that Green Bay was a former af2 team as well.

Secondly, and the most important here, is travel. Now, being in the Arena League, it means trips to Cleveland and Philadelphia and possibly Washington as well. Being in the IFL helps cut down on the travel since the farthest east they could go to is Green Bay and the farthest north is Spokane.

34 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Arizona to the IFL makes a lot of sense to me and there's two really good reasons.

One is that former rivals in Iowa and Spokane being in this league after jumping ship from the AFL. This would allow Arizona to get back the rivalries that were lost when both teams left for the IFL. Not to mention that Green Bay was a former af2 team as well.

Secondly, and the most important here, is travel. Now, being in the Arena League, it means trips to Cleveland and Philadelphia and possibly Washington as well. Being in the IFL helps cut down on the travel since the farthest east they could go to is Green Bay and the farthest north is Spokane.

Not to mention a new team in Salt Lake, which makes travel that much easier.

39 minutes ago, osctheg said:

I'm sorry that afl is doomed but they were run really badly so....

As if these lower lever indoor leagues are run any better.  The IFL payroll is lower under $300/game, but the other cost of running a pro football business is really the same as the AFL. 

Take a look at their team map.  While there are no teams in the Eastern Time Zone, but it ain't like they are bus rides away from each other. 
Here is the AFL's statement:

Oct. 14, 2016

LAS VEGAS - The Arena Football League is focused on solidifying its foundation for the long term and is in active conversations with strong, experienced ownership groups in markets where there is already a pro sports signature in place. The addition of the Washington Valor this coming season provides a solid example of where we are headed. Ultimately, we continue to be focused on positioning and growing the league over the long term to deliver the great game, compelling broadcasts and arena experience our fans have come to expect.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Plus Jacksonville (allegedly).

Green Bay and Arizona were never in the same league, and Green Bay and Iowa only since Iowa joined the IFL. Green Bay and Spokane were both in af2 at the same time.

If Jacksonville goes IFL, I could see the Storm considering that too.  And if the Storm goes, the Preds may in the near future.

1 minute ago, dfwabel said:

Arizona only announced that they applied for the IFL, not stating they were suspending operations.

The issue is why they would grant dispersal draft picks to a team with a foot out the door. This just a face saving move?

VmWIn6B.png

Arizona officially bails for the IFL, leaving the AFL as a 4-team league. Adam Markowitz insists that Actually This Is Good, because only The Good Owners are left now, and the siren song of Ted Leonsis should have no problem luring four new owners in for expansion in 2017, plus all those new guaranteed markets for 2018 and two teams in Mexico City. Jesus, dude, at least Jim Jones' disciples stopped after one trip to the bucket.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Arizona officially bails for the IFL, leaving the AFL as a 4-team league. Adam Markowitz insists that Actually This Is Good, because only The Good Owners are left now, and the siren song of Ted Leonsis should have no problem luring four new owners in for expansion in 2017, plus all those new guaranteed markets for 2018 and two teams in Mexico City. Jesus, dude, at least Jim Jones' disciples stopped after one trip to the bucket.

Adam hyped up Mexico and a partnership with Univision most of 2015. How'd that work out as I don't see those three new US teams nor the three new Mexican teams.

http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=origcol&writer=113&article=3975

Archived