how far we've come: post the worst Reebok NHL jersey matchups

hockey week

Honestly, I liked that old Oilers jersey.

Your screen name is appropriate then

Yup. That's why I'm not 1rationalguy.

I think you're the first person on here say that.

The Edge changes were bad overall (save a couple of improvements, like Boston, and the O6 remaining solid for the most part). A lot of us hated, for example, the Islanders jersey. But I understood why someone may like it. Maybe they felt the orange sleeves added something. The only jersey I could not fathom someone liking was that Oilers jersey. They kept the same color scheme as they'd previous had but they stripped it down to an incredibly lame practice jersey. It is as lacking in redeeming qualities as any uniform ever. To each his own, but it's one of the very few uniforms that I find myself legitimately surprised to hear someone say they liked.

Yeah, as much flack as the Islanders' Edge design got, I actually liked them in a vacuum. The issue was that they were quite a departure from what looked right for the Islanders. Of course they made the right decision to go back to the original designs for the jerseys, but all told the Islanders made out a lot better from the Edge redesign than a lot of other teams.

I think it's also because their pre-edge uniforms were so perfect. They took they're dynasty look and reduced their garishness by replacing Royal Blue with Navy. Any deviation from them was going to be criticized regardless of how good it looked.

Your screen name is appropriate then

Yup. That's why I'm not 1rationalguy.

I think you're the first person on here say that.

The Edge changes were bad overall (save a couple of improvements, like Boston, and the O6 remaining solid for the most part). A lot of us hated, for example, the Islanders jersey. But I understood why someone may like it. Maybe they felt the orange sleeves added something. The only jersey I could not fathom someone liking was that Oilers jersey. They kept the same color scheme as they'd previous had but they stripped it down to an incredibly lame practice jersey. It is as lacking in redeeming qualities as any uniform ever. To each his own, but it's one of the very few uniforms that I find myself legitimately surprised to hear someone say they liked.

Yeah, as much flack as the Islanders' Edge design got, I actually liked them in a vacuum. The issue was that they were quite a departure from what looked right for the Islanders. Of course they made the right decision to go back to the original designs for the jerseys, but all told the Islanders made out a lot better from the Edge redesign than a lot of other teams.

I think it's also because their pre-edge uniforms were so perfect. They took they're dynasty look and reduced their garishness by replacing Royal Blue with Navy. Any deviation from them was going to be criticized regardless of how good it looked.

Yeah, Edge or Pre-edge the copper/navy color scheme was my favorite for the Oilers.

I liked the blue & copper look before RBK which made them boring.

The new/old/retro ones are tacky--the blue & orange don't go together so well & they scream 70's...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'll still take the retros over those first Edge jerseys... Even given the sheer awfulocity of the 'Edge' designs, released up to that point, I still thought they had to be a joke the first time I saw them. The fact a former dynasty with the most famous player in the world was given such shoddy treatment is mind boggling. It has to stand with the 'Wild Wing' third as one of the worst designs in league history.

Edmonton had half under-stripes for no reason. When Dallas did it years before, the stripe was interrupted by numbers...it had a purpose. Edmonton didn't even get that. Florida's was at least interrupted by a shoulder stripe, Edmonton couldn't even get that. Looking at them, they're so incredibly plain. You can miss those sleeve stripes entirely, and then what's left? a logo? Might as well be a practice jersey. The Oilers wen't from good jerseys to downright terrible ones, and those terrible jerseys probably soured the public on that darker color scheme.

The edge jerseys were so bad that it took the throwback trend (of bringing back a vintage jersey for a game or two circa 2004) and created a gag reflex so large that it launched a full-on retro trend that we're still in.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Edmonton had half under-stripes for no reason. When Dallas did it years before, the stripe was interrupted by numbers...it had a purpose. Edmonton didn't even get that. Florida's was at least interrupted by a shoulder stripe, Edmonton couldn't even get that. Looking at them, they're so incredibly plain. You can miss those sleeve stripes entirely, and then what's left? a logo? Might as well be a practice jersey. The Oilers wen't from good jerseys to downright terrible ones, and those terrible jerseys probably soured the public on that darker color scheme.

The edge jerseys were so bad that it took the throwback trend (of bringing back a vintage jersey for a game or two circa 2004) and created a gag reflex so large that it launched a full-on retro trend that we're still in.

Edmonton definitely won the "worst edge switch" race, in my opinion. And it was a competitive race full of some really solid competition.

Were they the ugliest uniforms? Maybe not. Calargy, the Islanders, and the Avs, just to name a few made some bad choices. But they were the biggest head-scratchers. They were the only ones that I could not understand what they were trying to accomplish. Some were adding weird new "reeboky" sleeve paters. Dalls was going for the college look, I guess. The orange sleeves on the Islanders was a bad choice, but I can understand why someone would like them. It almost appeared like the Oilers were unaware of a deadline and either said "crap, just submit the practice jerseys" or "crap, give it to 'em unfinished". And it's too bad; Edmonton was my favorite example of darkening the colors. I loved their pre-edge look but as you say, they were pretty much destined to go to the 1980s after that edge mess.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't think people realize just how far the NHL's come since the utter destruction that was the Reebok (then RBK) Edge change-over, so let's get together the worst matchups seen in the league, and if there has been a truly profound change, show the comparison

20/30 teams have changed their jerseys in some way. It took less than 10 years for over a majority of the league to dump their RBK Edge Designs.

Teams were given more freedom over their 3rd jerseys, which lead to 6 teams ditching their EDGE designs for their self created 3rd jerseys.

This re-design fail has to be one of the reasons Adidas took Reebok out of the jersey manufacturing game.

Reebok once had the NHL, NFL, CFL, NLL, MLS, and NBA., Now only have the CFL, and is looked down upon.

Those Oilers jerseys were awful in every way. The team was a disaster too, bad but without the (misplaced) hope of the three 1st overall picks. Just Dustin Penner, Shawn Horcoff, Ales Hemsky and Sheldon Souray.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Remember when the Flames looked even worse?

86084107_slide.jpg

Nice socks guys.

My god. I had all but suppressed the memory of those hideous socks... I take it back, Calgary definitely came out of the Edge debacle looking the worst. If you include the piping and pant stripes, I am counting 5 different striping patterns and that's not even the worst aspect of the uniform. The Alberta Flag just looks awful. At this point I'd settle for two Canadian Flags since, at the very least, the colours still fit.

The pre-Edge Thrashers stuff was okay, but the switch to powder blue at least gave them a color to rally behind. When they were dark blue, dark red, dark copper, light copper, and light blue, there was just too much going on. That's not a sports uniform, that's interior decorating.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I loved two of the three pre-Edge Thrashers sweaters (I never liked the navy one).

Me too, particularly the powder blue version with the double knit material. The edge switch destroyed their identity, like so many others.

Archived