2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

Ottawa finally going with the heritage sets full time?

God I hope not. Such a groundbreaking design to place an "O" on two stripes...

It's light years better than what they wear now, but I don't think it's good enough to be the basis of a new set. I wouldn't be disappointed, but they've got so much in their arsenal to use that.

Keep it as an alt though.

I think its worse, at least the current set uses gold and a half decent logo. Updated 2d centurion on the inaugural template would vault them to the top five IMO.

Only the logo has gold in it. Their set is horrible and needs to change. Their Heritage set,at least, is original and would be unique in the league. Their jersey is just a copy of the other horrible set of Pittsburgh. Hopefully they'll change and Calgary and Colorado will too. I hope that the Wild will eliminate their red sweater too and put their green one as their official home uniforms.

Were in full agreement that the template is garbage but red, white and black is an extremely overused scheme. The gold sets them apart and it would just feel wrong if it was eliminated entirely. They've been Red, Black, White and Gold for over 20 years.

The Wild need a green uniform based off the roads or at least something similar to the stadium series look. I wouldn't miss the current reds or greens one bit if they were both dropped...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's light years better than what they wear now, but I don't think it's good enough to be the basis of a new set. I wouldn't be disappointed, but they've got so much in their arsenal to use that.

I think its worse, at least the current set uses gold and a half decent logo. Updated 2d centurion on the inaugural template would vault them to the top five IMO.

Only the logo has gold in it. Their set is horrible and needs to change. Their Heritage set,at least, is original and would be unique in the league. Their jersey is just a copy of the other horrible set of Pittsburgh. Hopefully they'll change and Calgary and Colorado will too. I hope that the Wild will eliminate their red sweater too and put their green one as their official home uniforms.

Were in full agreement that the template is garbage but red, white and black is an extremely overused scheme. The gold sets them apart and it would just feel wrong if it was eliminated entirely. They've been Red, Black, White and Gold for over 20 years.

The Wild need a green uniform based off the roads or at least something similar to the stadium series look. I wouldn't miss the current reds or greens one bit if they were both dropped...

I think that if the Wild made a few tweaks to the green jersey, i.e. Moved to the main logo full time, and still kept the script logo somewhere, they would be a top 3 look in the NHL IMO.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I really don't get you. I mean I understand that everyone has different tastes, but seriously? I just don't get how you can defend those jerseys. The heritage set is LEAGUES beyond their main set. Just because it's nothing "groundbreaking" doesn't mean it doesn't look nice. Is Montreal's design gorundbreaking? Toronto's? Boston's? The "O" comes from the original sens and I agree that it isn't that great and it should just be switched with the old unused 2D spartan. Also, those inaugural jerseys are probably the most overrated jerseys in the NHL. They are not any more groundbreaking than the heritage set, so bashing on those for that exact same reason makes absolutely no sense. So, please tell us how the current Reebok trash is any good what so ever. I would LOVE for you to explain how the main set is better. Please, go ahead.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I really don't get you. I mean I understand that everyone has different tastes, but seriously? I just don't get how you can defend those jerseys. The heritage set is LEAGUES beyond their main set. Just because it's nothing "groundbreaking" doesn't mean it doesn't look nice. Is Montreal's design gorundbreaking? Toronto's? Boston's? The "O" comes from the original sens and I agree that it isn't that great and it should just be switched with the old unused 2D spartan.

So, please tell us how the current Reebok trash is any good what so ever. I would LOVE for you to explain how the main set is better. Please, go ahead.

The Senators Heritage jersey has got to be the most overrated design ever conceived. The vintage white is terrible, the strokes around the 'O' are thin and weak, the hem stripes aren't the same width as the others, and the shoulder patches are the laziest excuse for secondary logos since Calgary used the provincial and national flags... Oh wow, a shield divided by a diagonal line that says "Ottawa Senators." One can only imagine how many tireless hours went into crafting such a clever logo :rolleyes:

I've already said the striping of the current set is garbage but at least it uses some half decent logos. The =O= works as a shoulder patch but is far too plain serve as a primary logo. "But the original six has simple logos and they look great." Yeah, the logos of the original six are simple but they are still logos. They may use simple elements but they still form a recognizable symbol from the pieces... The best example being how Boston is able to incorporate a "Hub" and a "B" into a seamless, instantly recognizable mark. The Sens Heritage logo is a Times New Roman "O." That's all it is.

Also, those inaugural jerseys are probably the most overrated jerseys in the NHL. They are not any more groundbreaking than the heritage set, so bashing on those for that exact same reason makes absolutely no sense.

The inaugural set used a colour scheme that had never been seen before in the league. It was only the third design in NHL history to use metallic embroidery. It brought us a classy logo using subject matter that is hard not to render in a cartoon-like fashion. It gave us a red and black uniform with very little white. It was the very definition of groundbreaking.

A black and red uniform in the 1990s wasn't groundbreaking.

The key to that statement being, 'with very little white' as well the liberal use of metallic gold. Consider the colour hierarchy of the dark uniforms that were Red, Black and White...

Chicago Blackhawks

Red > White > Black

New Jersey Devils

Red > Black > White

Ottawa Senators

Black > Red > Gold > White

It broke ground weather you care for it or not.

The Senators Heritage jersey has got to be the most overrated design ever conceived. The vintage white is terrible, the strokes around the 'O' are thin and weak, the hem stripes aren't the same width as the others, and the shoulder patches are the laziest excuse for secondary logos since Calgary used the provincial and national flags... Oh wow, a shield divided by a diagonal line that says "Ottawa Senators." One can only imagine how many tireless hours went into crafting such a clever logo :rolleyes:

I've already said the striping of the current set is garbage but at least it uses some half decent logos. The =O= works as a shoulder patch but is far too plain serve as a primary logo. "But the original six has simple logos and they look great." Yeah, the logos of the original six are simple but they are still logos. They may use simple elements but they still form a recognizable symbol from the pieces... The best example being how Boston is able to incorporate a "Hub" and a "B" into a seamless, instantly recognizable mark. The Sens Heritage logo is a Times New Roman "O." That's all it is.

Thanks for explaining how the heritage set somehow sucks while completely dodging the question I asked you. Bravo.

The inaugural set used a colour scheme that had never been seen before in the league. It was only the third design in NHL history to use metallic embroidery. It brought us a classy logo using subject matter that is hard not to render in a cartoon-like fashion. It gave us a red and black uniform with very little white. It was the very definition of groundbreaking.

So because using metallic gold in their logo was groundbreaking in the 90s, it automatically means we have to go back to it? Ottawa is the kind of team that needs a completely new design, either with the main color being black to differ from the other red, black and white teams or it has to include gold somewhere on the jersey for the exact same reason. Ottawa has never had any spectacular jerseys in their past that they should go back to and I don't now why they would. They've only been around since the 90's so they shouldn't be doing anything like the Caps are doing with their alternates. The heritage jerseys brought a great taste of a fauxback jersey, and I feel that's all it needs to be.

A black and red uniform in the 1990s wasn't groundbreaking.

The key to that statement being, 'with very little white' as well the liberal use of metallic gold. Consider the colour hierarchy of the dark uniforms that were Red, Black and White...

Chicago Blackhawks

Red > White > Black

New Jersey Devils

Red > Black > White

Ottawa Senators

Black > Red > Gold > White

It broke ground weather you care for it or not.

That's revisionist history. The gold's only ever appeared on the striping of one jersey in the Sens' history. The striping has always been black, red, or white. Ranking white below gold with Ottawa's inaugural look? Nonsense. Especially given that it was the era of white at home.

It's also worth noting that they tweaked the road black uniforms twice to add more white. First by making the numbers primarily white and then by adding white to the striping. Most people who want that look back? Probably want the 1995-1999 version with the white added.

Either way? It was a red, black, and white NHL uniform univeled in the 1990s. Along with New Jersey's, Buffalo's, and Carolina's.

Not that it's a bad thing. A team named the "Ottawa Senators" can't really be anything but red, black, and white. It's just ridiculous to claim that it was somehow an innovative design. It wasn't. At all.

I really don't get you. I mean I understand that everyone has different tastes, but seriously? I just don't get how you can defend those jerseys. The heritage set is LEAGUES beyond their main set. Just because it's nothing "groundbreaking" doesn't mean it doesn't look nice. Is Montreal's design gorundbreaking? Toronto's? Boston's? The "O" comes from the original sens and I agree that it isn't that great and it should just be switched with the old unused 2D spartan.

So, please tell us how the current Reebok trash is any good what so ever. I would LOVE for you to explain how the main set is better. Please, go ahead.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/4576921927/Ottawa_Senators/1927/Champion_Logo

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/4575121921/Ottawa_Senators/1921/Champion_Logo

That alternate logo didn't appear out of the ether. There's meaning to its simplicity and that simplicity gives it value.

Thanks for explaining how the heritage set somehow sucks while completely dodging the question I asked you. Bravo.

I answered every one of your questions, you just don't agree with the answers...

So because using metallic gold in their logo was groundbreaking in the 90s, it automatically means we have to go back to it? Ottawa is the kind of team that needs a completely new design, either with the main color being black to differ from the other red, black and white teams or it has to include gold somewhere on the jersey for the exact same reason. Ottawa has never had any spectacular jerseys in their past that they should go back to and I don't now why they would. They've only been around since the 90's so they shouldn't be doing anything like the Caps are doing with their alternates. The heritage jerseys brought a great taste of a fauxback jersey, and I feel that's all it needs to be.

What do you mean go back to it? They use it right now. They've used it for 20 plus years... The entire existence of the franchise since 1993.

That's revisionist history. The gold's only ever appeared on the striping of one jersey in the Sens' history. The striping has always been black, red, or white. Ranking white below gold with Ottawa's inaugural look? Nonsense. Especially given that it was the era of white at home.

It's also worth noting that they tweaked the road black uniforms twice to add more white. First by making the numbers primarily white and then by adding white to the striping. Most people who want that look back? Probably want the 1995-1999 version with the white added.

A uniform doesn't consist of just striping, the crests are a pretty big part of the composition. Revisionist history my :censored:. Look at this uniform and tell me which colour is more dominant, gold or white... Yes it was revised later but we were talking about its merits as a groundbreaking design in 1993... Every team in the league is mandated to have a white uniform, that doesn't mean white is high on the colour hierarchy. The home version is identical to the uniform below, with the main part of the uniform replaced with white per mandate.

dPeziWt.png

Either way? It was a red, black, and white NHL uniform univeled in the 1990s. Along with New Jersey's, Buffalo's, and Carolina's.

No it was actually a red, black, white and gold uniform as the image above clearly shows. I know metallic embroidery wasn't used in the heyday of design, in the 1910's :rolleyes:. That may make it automatically bad in your eyes but that doesn't discount it from existence. Sorry. Buffalo and Carolina were red, black, white and silver teams. Big difference.

It's just ridiculous to claim that it was somehow an innovative design. It wasn't. At all.

Wherever you want to place gold on the colour hierarchy, you can't discount the fact that it was never used with black, white and red on an NHL team before. That is the very definition of breaking new ground.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/4576921927/Ottawa_Senators/1927/Champion_Logo

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/4575121921/Ottawa_Senators/1921/Champion_Logo

That alternate logo didn't appear out of the ether. There's meaning to its simplicity and that simplicity gives it value.

The fact it hails from the 20's does not make it good. Speaking of revisionist history, it's telling you want a franchise, who has never won a cup, to celebrate the accomplishment of a different team from 60 years earlier on a full time basis. Please tell me more about my revisionist history :rolleyes:.

In reference to Morgo...

You know what dude? I'm not even going to bother. Never mind that we've had this conversation before.

It's clear that you can't hold a conversation without resorting to strawman arguments. I'm out. Have fun.

MapleLeafs35.pngplus-th.pngRedWings27.png

equal-sign-2-256.png

Senators01.png

Toronto's sleeve stripes, Detroit's hemline stripe, Detroit's left-behind-color on the white jersey's sleeves...there's nothing revolutionary here. It's a good look, but it's not a great look (the face has always bothered me, and they changed from lettering on the logo to olive branches before too long)

6559.gif152.gif

It certainly doesn't belong in the pantheon of untouchable designs. It was acceptable...until they had to change the number colors because it was illegible...then they changed the stripe color and the numbers were illegible again, so they changed the number colors...and then they dropped the jersey for the stretched-stripes red jersey that was far more popular than it should've been.

Fauxback jerseys with the modern 2D logo and gold trim on the numbers. That's the way for this team to go.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I answered every one of your questions, you just don't agree with the answers...

No, no you didn't. You never explained why the Reebok jerseys are better than the heritage set. It's literally the only thing I asked you to explain and all you ended up doing was ranting about how :censored: the heritage set is while not even mentioning their Reebok set once. So please tell us what is so special about the Reebok cookie cutters or are you just gonna redirect that question again to fuel your crappy argument?

What do you mean go back to it? They use it right now. They've used it for 20 plus years... The entire existence of the franchise since 1993.

I'm not talking about the gold color, I'm talking about the original jersey. If you read anything in that paragraph that I wrote, you would have known that, but of course you don't care for what anybody else is saying since we all know YOU're right.

In reference to Morgo...

You know what dude? I'm not even going to bother. Never mind that we've had this conversation before.

It's clear that you can't hold a conversation without resorting to strawman arguments. I'm out. Have fun.

Don't worry Cap, a few more abysmal unveilings and I'll be out too.

No, no you didn't. You never explained why the Reebok jerseys are better than the heritage set. It's literally the only thing I asked you to explain and all you ended up doing was ranting about how :censored: the heritage set is while not even mentioning their Reebok set once. So please tell us what is so special about the Reebok cookie cutters or are you just gonna redirect that question again to fuel your crappy argument?

I think it is better because it has better logos. The =O= works well as a shoulder patch and the 3D centurion, flawed as it is, works better than the '=O=' as a main crest. The striping is absolute garbage, were in full agreement there. Therefore it comes down to which would you prefer? Good logos on a bad striping template or bad logos on a good striping template. I personally prefer the former but I'm not trying to say it's some great design because its not. Ideally a combination of the two would work, if not Hockey Week's idea below...

Fauxback jerseys with the modern 2D logo and gold trim on the numbers. That's the way for this team to go.

Archived