2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

I wouldn't call it good, but I would say it's the best of the three inaugural Edge designs that shared that template. The royal blue and black bled into each other on Tampa's. Pittsburgh's khaki just looks dull.

My preference would be for a new set to use the heritage design, swapping vintage white for standard white. After that? Something close to the 1995-1999 look that utilizes the =O= and Peace Tower logos. After that? If the Roman theme is a must? Something simple and traditional (either the general designs of the 1995-99 set or the heritage set would do) that keeps the gold contained to a 2D centurion logo would be acceptable.

Ultimately though? Any look that does away with the 3D centurion, goofy faux Latin number font, and red as the primary will be an improvement. Ottawa's stuck between Toronto and Montréal. The Habs are famous for their red sweaters. The Senators should commit to black to "claim" it among the Eastern Conference Canadian franchises.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Sens current logo isn't really any better and the striping isn't horrible, you think it is.

Really? REALLY?

Jason+Spezza+Ottawa+Senators+v+New+York+

Exactly. What striping? It's just click-n-fill on the sweater. (The socks have stripes, I'll give you that. :D)

As for the =O= jersey and logos, those fixed the problems with the original Sens. They really toned down the barberpole striping, and added a logo. Yes, it doesn't have that good of logos, but they are Ottawa hockey HERITAGE jerseys. The template is great, and should stay. If the =O= logo stays, It would be ok. Same with the centurion logo. I think if both stayed on the jerseys one way or another, and used the heritage template,it would be a win-win.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'm probably one of the few in this camp, but I'd love to see the Senators take this

sensblackalt.jpg

and just tone down the gaudiness of the gold material and run with it. The 2D logo might work a little better if we're using the modern applications. Either way, when it comes to black Senators jerseys, this had a better red-white balance than their original jerseys (with no white) and the late 90's roads (too much white)

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Yeah, just a paler gold and the new 2D logo and there you go. I wouldn't use Serpentine, though; I rather like their new numbers. I don't think they're Copperplate, but what are they?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Speaking of Ottawa, I love both their Heritage Jerseys. I know the logo is on the boring side but at the same time, I love the simplicity of it, especially on Ottawa's Heritage Jerseys. Not every logo has to be some detailed artwork that some graphic designer made on a computer. I love the vintage white, red and black. They look great together and I think that if there's any team that could adopt a look like that, it is the Senators, and, it would give them a look of their own and I would love to see one team in the NHL with a non-white road jersey.

NW2.jpg

what if the panthers went with chest striping similar to this of northwestern football. In my opinion it covers that "classic" look they are rumored to be going for but also has a modernish look to it; additionally it doesn't look like a total rip off of other teams styling (from the NHL).
Not a panthers fan per say, but I am fairly excited to see what they come up with

The Sens current logo isn't really any better and the striping isn't horrible, you think it is.

Really? REALLY?

Jason+Spezza+Ottawa+Senators+v+New+York+

Exactly. What striping? It's just click-n-fill on the sweater. (The socks have stripes, I'll give you that. :D)

As for the =O= jersey and logos, those fixed the problems with the original Sens. They really toned down the barberpole striping, and added a logo. Yes, it doesn't have that good of logos, but they are Ottawa hockey HERITAGE jerseys. The template is great, and should stay. If the =O= logo stays, It would be ok. Same with the centurion logo. I think if both stayed on the jerseys one way or another, and used the heritage template,it would be a win-win.

To me, The Senators have all of the elements in their identity currently to have something strong, they just dont use them properly. It's all up there in the current white jersey above. Especially in the pants: the hint of the barberpole striping down the sides of the pants, the touch of gold used sparingly, with the single red/white stripes side by side. In the uniform, we see that motif used consistently in the the shoulder =O= logo, which is good. We also see a nod to the red/black being used the same amount in the arm striping of that white uniform, but obviously it's butchered by the click-n-fill RBK Edge template... we all know that. The number font is also not great, they need to be using a block font like in their alternate third barberpole jersey. the color balance of the red numbers is good with the black pants. The stripes on the socks should also match the shoulder logo striping pattern.

Other than that, add a slight hem stripe to combat the reebok no-hem-stripe Edge thing, change the yellowish gold in the logo to more of a metallic gold, switch the crest logo to the far superior 2D logo (they can continue to use the profile view logo in other places if they want, to me, it just works great as a jersey crest), and fix the aformentioned Edge template problem by "straightening out" the stripes and making them "more barberpole-y". I'd also advocate for a black jersey at home to switch it up more towards the amazing inaugural look (and also differentiate more from the traditionally red canadian teams the Flames and Canadiens).. but i'd understand if they'd want to keep the red prominently featured if the fans like it. Either way, when you take all these tweaks (all currently within their identity, somewhere, like i said), you end up with, in my opinion, a pretty good look.

LOunoNt.png

Well since it's the Holiday season, here's my wishlist for the 2016-17 season:

Boston- Get a new alternate or fix the one you have. Even use the winter classic template or entire jersey.

Montreal- as always, change nothing.

Buffalo- lighten the blue, remove front numbers and piping.

Toronto- nothing. Most hated team, but love the uniforms.

Tampa Bay- add some dimension to the primary set by giving it a touch of black. Get rid of the terrible alt, create a new one using championship template.

Florida- Go back to the original set.

Ottawa- create a new set. I don't care if it's barber-pole or something else. Just get rid of what you have.

Detroit- do nothing. I imagine a 'Last season at the Joe' patch will be somewhere.

NY Rangers- do nothing.

NY Islanders- get rid of the black alt. It's already worn out it's welcome. If you must have an alt, maybe something to tie into the Brooklyn Americans.

New Jersey- do nothing.

Philadelphia- do nothing,

Pittsburgh- go back to athletic gold.

Columbus- can't ask for much, but maybe add some red trim to the alt.

Carolina- put the warning flags back.

Chicago- bring back the black winter classic alt.

Minnesota- use the winter classic jersey as a template for a new home uni. An alt using the alumni North Stars colors would be cool but that's asking too much.

Dallas- do nothing.

Colorado- BLOW EVERYTHING UP and go back to the pre-edge set.

St. Louis- I'm not a fan of their alt, but that's being picky.

Winnipeg- a throwback alt would be cool.

Nashville- remove piping.

Edmonton- do nothing.

Calgary- same as Colorado.

Vancouver- Remove VANCOUVER from front of jersey. Create green alt with stick or Johnny Canuck.

San Jose- go back to the inaugral set, with updated logo.

Los Angeles- add a hemstripe to the bottom of home jersey. Create an alt with some purple in it and the standalone crown.

Arizona- use the southwestern motif striping.

Anaheim- They seem to be moving in the right direction, but use the new orange alt as the basis for a new set. Bring back the duck mask full time.

sig.png

NY Islanders- get rid of the black alt. It's already worn out it's welcome.

Not from where I'm standing: they sure seem to sell a lot of them. I've seen them all over the city.

I meant it's welcome from me lol and most of the people on this board. But yeah, as far as from a business standpoint, I don't think it's going anywhere. I'd at least add a bit of color to it. It's got potential.

sig.png

NY Islanders- get rid of the black alt. It's already worn out it's welcome.

Not from where I'm standing: they sure seem to sell a lot of them. I've seen them all over the city.

I meant it's welcome from me lol and most of the people on this board. But yeah, as far as from a business standpoint, I don't think it's going anywhere. I'd at least add a bit of color to it. It's got potential.

And from a professional stand point, they have to keep it for the rest of this year, AND next year.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Well since it's the Holiday season, here's my wishlist for the 2016-17 season:

Chicago- bring back the black winter classic alt.

Minnesota- use the winter classic jersey as a template for a new home uni. An alt using the alumni North Stars colors would be cool but that's asking too much.

Dallas- do nothing.

Colorado- BLOW EVERYTHING UP and go back to the pre-edge set.

St. Louis- I'm not a fan of their alt, but that's being picky.

Winnipeg- a throwback alt would be cool.

Nashville- remove piping.

Edmonton- do nothing.

Calgary- same as Colorado.

Vancouver- Remove VANCOUVER from front of jersey. Create green alt with stick or Johnny Canuck.

San Jose- go back to the inaugral set, with updated logo.

Los Angeles- add a hemstripe to the bottom of home jersey. Create an alt with some purple in it and the standalone crown.

Arizona- use the southwestern motif striping.

Anaheim- They seem to be moving in the right direction, but use the new orange alt as the basis for a new set. Bring back the duck mask full time.

Minnesota - Hopefully, today's Winter Classic news will be a sign of things to come down the road. The "Wild" name has to go - North Stars or no North Stars.

Colorado - Keep the A-Mountain & Puck logo and make the burgundy lighter. Keep the shoulders and arms clean and remove all the black. Either the Bigfoot or Colorado C is acceptable as a shoulder patch.

Calgary - Go the Edmonton route. Ever since the beginning of the Flames' BFBS, the style of their uniforms has gone down further than the interest rates.

Vancouver - Ditch the orca and remove the "VANCOUVER" wordmark. The primary logo should either be the skating Johnny Canuck, Stick in Rink(original or updated), or an updated 'V' logo using a Millionaires concept but with a Canucks flavour. Return to traditional block font with an added green border. Create a green alternate, using the template of the Utica Comets' green alts.

Los Angeles - Go back to the Gretzky-era template but use the original crown instead of the 'Chevy' crest. Use the classic purple and gold uniforms as rotating alternates - both purple and gold sets.

Minnesota - Hopefully, today's Winter Classic news will be a sign of things to come down the road. The "Wild" name has to go - North Stars or no North Stars.

What are you talking about? What Winter Classic news? Why would they get rid of one of the greatest logos in NHL history to bring back a pseudonym that has nothing to do with the franchise?

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

What are you talking about? What Winter Classic news? Why would they get rid of one of the greatest logos in NHL history to bring back a pseudonym that has nothing to do with the franchise?

It has nothing to do with the franchise, but it has everything to do with the hockey history of the State... Now I love the Wild, and the logo, (and HATE HATE HATE the Dallas Stars) but I actually wish that they never had to exist. I wish the NORTH Stars had stayed.

It has nothing to do with the franchise, but it has everything to do with the hockey history of the State... Now I love the Wild, and the logo, (and HATE HATE HATE the Dallas Stars) but I actually wish that they never had to exist. I wish the NORTH Stars had stayed.

That doesn't mean we should just abandon the Wild identity for an identity that was on;y good for its colors years and years ago.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived