2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern Lights is no better than Wild (I say it's way worse, you'd never get a logo as good as the Wild's based on that), and we let all sorts of things go because they've been that way since before any of us were around.

From the Steelers with one logo on their helmet, to Montreal having an H in their logo, to the Bruins logo being based on "Boston is the hub of the universe" rather than their team name, etc, if it happened today, we'd be really upset and saying it's all stupid. But it's been around so long that it's accepted, if not loved.

The name isn't going anywhere. It's time to move on and accept it.

Why don't you just accept the fact that you like a team name that's completely stupid all because you like their logo?

With "Northern Lights", a modern take on the old N-Star can be created. Not every logo has to be computer-created.

This is an NHL team we're talking about. Not some team from some fly-by-night Tier II league.

I don't think the name is great, I make the joke that "Go Wild!" can be a cheer or a command. But it's not going to change, and it's not awful. I honestly think that Blue Jackets is much worse of a name, and I'm actually a fan of Columbus. People are complaining about something that won't change, it's pointless. And if you want to complain about a bad name with a great logo, why aren't the Blues in this conversation? There's no good reason for this targeting, it's just wasted time.

What on earth would the Northern Lights logo look like? the North Stars' N with gradient lights on it? Not only would it then be derivative of the North Stars, rather than a clean break, it would be ugly as sin. In fact, I've NEVER seen a good Northern Lights concept, which should tell you something.

And the fact that it's not a "fly-by-night Tier II league" means that team names don't just change for the hell of it. The name isn't going anywhere. It's time for the whole board to move on to something more constructive, like "what are the Panthers' new uniforms going to look line?" and "how long before they finally move?"

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The "Wild" is a ridiculous nickname. (I will interthreadually assert that anyone who accepts the validity of a team called "the Wild" has thereby lost the right to criticise the name "Expos".) But there is no way that "North Stars" could or should have been brought back.

Instead of "Wild", the name from the team's beginning could have been "Northmen", which is a name that was intended to be used for a Toronto team in the WFL. (That team instead played in Memphis, and was called the "Southmen".)

If not "Northmen", then any name beginning with N would have been good, as it would have allowed the team to use a logo that evoked the general style of the North Stars in the way that the Ottawa RedBlacks' helmet evokes the Rough Riders' helmet without duplicating it.

$_35.JPG626bce7c40b4b453130077fdd39dc251.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

No, I didn't argue anything of the sort.

I was thinking of what could or should have been done from the beginning. I don't agree that it's better for certain elements of an identity to survive by themselves; sometimes it's better to let the whole thing pass into history.

Well, whether the Wild had used their current identity for 15 years, 2 000 years, or never, it wouldn't change the fact that they have no affiliation with the North Stars. That identity remains part of Dallas' history. Whether they choose to bring the whole thing back to the NHL, only parts of it, or none at all (whether now, at their inauguration, or in the future) is entirely up to them and them alone.

EDIT:

@VancouverFan69: What possible correlation exists between the standings system the NHL employs and the legitimacy of the league re-writing its own history books?

The NHL's standings system is as ridiculous as having a North Stars 2.0 co-exist with the Stars is ridiculous, according to Wild logo supporters who agree with the latter.

What do you tell fans of the Charlotte Hornets 2.0, then? Their history belongs to New Orleans. And of course, the Browns-Ravens situation.

The "Wild" is a ridiculous nickname. (I will interthreadually assert that anyone who accepts the validity of a team called "the Wild" has thereby lost the right to criticise the name "Expos".) But there is no way that "North Stars" could or should have been brought back.

Instead of "Wild", the name from the team's beginning could have been "Northmen", which is a name that was intended to be used for a Toronto team in the WFL. (That team instead played in Memphis, and was called the "Southmen".)

If not "Northmen", then any name beginning with N would have been good, as it would have allowed the team to use a logo that evoked the general style of the North Stars in the way that the Ottawa RedBlacks' helmet evokes the Rough Riders' helmet without duplicating it.$_35.JPG626bce7c40b4b453130077fdd39dc251.jpg

GREAT post! Very well said.

Northern Lights is no better than Wild (I say it's way worse, you'd never get a logo as good as the Wild's based on that), and we let all sorts of things go because they've been that way since before any of us were around.

From the Steelers with one logo on their helmet, to Montreal having an H in their logo, to the Bruins logo being based on "Boston is the hub of the universe" rather than their team name, etc, if it happened today, we'd be really upset and saying it's all stupid. But it's been around so long that it's accepted, if not loved.

The name isn't going anywhere. It's time to move on and accept it.

Why don't you just accept the fact that you like a team name that's completely stupid all because you like their logo?

With "Northern Lights", a modern take on the old N-Star can be created. Not every logo has to be computer-created.

This is an NHL team we're talking about. Not some team from some fly-by-night Tier II league.

Lol "Northern Lights" is the absolute WORST, I repeat, WORST name for a professional sports team. Not only is it a mouthful, it sounds like what a ringette team full of 8y/o's would adorn.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

I was thinking of what could or should have been done from the beginning. I don't agree that it's better for certain elements of an identity to survive by themselves; sometimes it's better to let the whole thing pass into history.

Well, whether the Wild had used their current identity for 15 years, 2 000 years, or never, it wouldn't change the fact that they have no affiliation with the North Stars. That identity remains part of Dallas' history. Whether they choose to bring the whole thing back to the NHL, only parts of it, or none at all (whether now, at their inauguration, or in the future) is entirely up to them and them alone.
The FRANCHISE has no affiliation. The STATE is still emotionally connected to the North Stars. The FRANCHISE resides in the STATE. And Hockey means the World here. So the North Stars are connected to the Wild. It's not from a business standpoint, or according to the NHL, it's the fans that have connected the two teams. They were both Minnesota's hockey team! Now I'm not saying the Dallas Stars are connected to the Wild. They're not. The North stars were. It's different than the crap that the Avs are trying to push on everyone about their "connection" to the Rockies. It's just happened for the Wild. Everyone held on to the North Stars, and almost merged them with the Wild. People here in Minnesota LOVE the Wild and the North Stars, but ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dallas Stars...

Here in Minnesota when people think of Hockey, they're are reminiscent of the North Stars, the Fighting Saints, the Gophers, and the Wild are even sneaking into Old time hockey and memories.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The FRANCHISE has no affiliation. The STATE is still emotionally connected to the North Stars.

The state may be emotionally connected to the North Stars now. If the state had been emotionally connected to the North Stars back when the team played there they'd still be there.

Time to move on. The Stars are in Dallas, and Minnesota has a new team with an awesome logo and terrible name. It all sort of balances out to an ok identity. Move on.

So, yes, it is too early to start the 2016-17 NHL thread. Why do you ask?

We're got confirmation that both the Leafs and Panthers will be changing. Makes sense to discuss those changes in A 2016-17 thread rather than a 2015-2016 thread.

We're got confirmation that both the Leafs and Panthers will be changing. Makes sense to discuss those changes in A 2016-17 thread rather than a 2015-2016 thread.
Agreed. And that was great... in the first post or two.

Followed by 5 pages of irrelevant North Stars vs. Wild talk. :)

Or at least it felt like it. Maybe two pages were 1993 Senators talk.

These things always become wish lists with no real news when they start before the current season ends. Carry on. I'll stop by in a few months... or six.

Agreed. And that was great... in the first post or two.

Followed by 5 pages of irrelevant North Stars vs. Wild talk. :)

Or at least it felt like it. Maybe two pages were 1993 Senators talk.

These things always become wish lists with no real news when they start before the current season ends. Carry on. I'll stop by in a few months... or six.

Go take a gander at the 2015-16 thread. Nothing there has anything to do with new unis for this year. Sure this thread went a bit off topic, but it came from discussions about what we'd like to see in the future.

In other [old] news, Icethetics released the 2016 Future Watch a few weeks ago. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived